MATCH: Bromley (H) 05/03/24

From where we were under Unsworth to where we are now is a massive achievement we could have only dreamed of being in the play offs with less than 10 games to go. 

Well guess what we are, albeit not by playing attractive football but grinding out results and playing players out of position.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but by heck if by a small miracle we get promoted who the hell will care if we played hoof ball, Mellon ball or what ever type of ball is being played but I am damn sure we will all be celebrating our first promotion for over 30 years with our friends and family on play off day. 

If we don't get out of the league this season then MM will have done a decent job achieved the aims of the club which would have been reach the play offs and then have a full pre season, another transfer window and hopefully freed up some cash from the contracts of the deadwood and we go again.    

Right now, I wouldn't expect any other manager within our budget to be doing any better with the squad at his disposal.   

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The number 1 short term goal of the manager is clearly not to play attacking football to entertain our home fans. It's to get promoted this season. I'm sure he's not happy with the home form, but when he came in the realistic best we could have hoped for is promotion via the playoffs. He's got us into the playoffs, we're picking up enough points regularly to stay in them and we've got a manager and a number of players who have play off and promotion winning experience.

Next season will bring about different goals. But for now it's about one thing only however that needs to come about. We should all know that by now, Mellon refers to it often enoguh, so I really don't see the point in having the same meltdown after every home game. 

3 wins in 9 though, shouldn't we be coming on strong at this stage of the season with our superior resources and all the fundamentals he has put in place?

Not so much a play off push as a polite tap on the shoulder...

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

When he starts putting our home form right, the rest will take care of itself.

Still, I'd of taken any chance of being in the play offs after the mess left by D.U

It was hardly a mess, we were in the top half three games later...

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

3 wins in 9 though, shouldn't we be coming on strong at this stage of the season with our superior resources and all the fundamentals he has put in place?

Not so much a play off push as a polite tap on the shoulder...

It would be better if we were, obviously. It would be great to go into the play offs as the only team with chesterfield levels of results. We aren’t at the moment but neither is anybody else. 

In a one off game, are there any other the teams from 2nd to 9th who you wouldn’t fancy us to have a decent chance of beating? To be in that position by the end of this season is a really good outcome considering where we were. 

Again - this isn’t celebrating or accepting current form is fine or definitely enough, it’s just not the unmitigated disaster that some make out. 

Plenty forgetting that Thompson went unbeaten in six and picked up twelve points in six games which incidentally is a better return than Mellon has, he also managed to pick up eight points in four home games with a strike force containing Joe Nuttall and Kurt Willoughby, we also won at Altrincham after that run before Mellon got his hand on the squad so the suggestion that he's performed open heart surgery on us is just bollocks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Plenty forgetting that Thompson went unbeaten in six and picked up twelve points in six games which incidentally is a better return than Mellon has, he also managed to pick up eight points in four home games with a strike force containing Joe Nuttall and Kurt Willoughby, we also won at Altrincham after that run before Mellon got his hand on the squad so the suggestion that he's performed open heart surgery on us is just bollocks.

York, Oxford City, Kidderminster, Wealdstone, Maidenhead and Dagenham and Redbridge. Every one of of which are now bottom half strugglers and the last two were as inept performances as you get.

It was a good bedding in period for MM from that mini-run, granted. But don't be colouring it as if we were like prime Brazil.

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Wondered how long it would be before this got trotted out. 

He won his first 3, (after Kidderminster away I seem to remember you coming on and saying how dreadful we played despite winning. . . where have I heard that before. . ) in the following 3 draws a lot claimed they couldn’t see the difference between him and Unsworth and we were going backwards. (Despite being unbeaten, and completely turning the form around) 

Point is- everything was shit under ST despite being unbeaten. 

Everything is shit under Mellon despite being in the playoffs. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

York, Oxford City, Kidderminster, Wealdstone, Maidenhead and Dagenham and Redbridge. Every one of of which are now bottom half strugglers and the last two were as inept performances as you get.

It was a good bedding in period for MM from that mini-run, granted. But don't be colouring it as if we were like prime Brazil.

Come on now, the form table doesn't measure the strength of opposition, just the results.

8 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I thought we struggled against these teams? Or is that just a mellonballism?.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Wondered how long it would be before this got trotted out. 

He won his first 3, (after Kidderminster away I seem to remember you coming on and saying how dreadful we played despite winning. . . where have I heard that before. . ) in the following 3 draws a lot claimed they couldn’t see the difference between him and Unsworth and we were going backwards. (Despite being unbeaten, and completely turning the form around) 

Point is- everything was shit under ST despite being unbeaten. 

Everything is shit under Mellon despite being in the playoffs. 

Is it? I don't think that's the point I'm making but you can dress it up how you want. 

Simply we are shit at home and Mellon is unable to change that trend, yet we are the second best team away in the League since he came in.

Our home forms has regressed even from the time Unsworth was here so to simply bat it off and accept it seems a bit strange to me but eh oh, I don't like it - I think we should be doing better, saying all that I'd accept it if the point return wasn't pitiful. 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He had time to get two strikers that arguably weren't needed so again I just can’t buy into that line of defence.

This is just utter bollocks. I'll point you at the Boreham Wood, Maidenhead and Eastleigh games

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

So basically we are playing 6 at the back at home because Mcghahey is needed to plug the gaps and break up play that 5 defenders can't cope with, we were playing at times last night with four centrehalfs, two full backs and Conlon and Sheron on the centre backs toes, as a result the only ball out was a 60 yard cross field punt that we had to hope stuck to Norwood and Garner (which invariably it didn't). 

Now I know some will argue we haven't the players but I'm getting the feeling this is what Mellon is asking them to do, where was the outball last night, where were the legs and the willing runners, three of our most effective players in recent weeks were left out and replaced with players who couldn't match their performances, I know Green was injured but where was the attacking intent out wide, Walker not even in the matchday squad despite being fit to play, Atherton can't get a sniff even from the bench because Micky doesn't trust you unless your 35. Hammond whose ran at teams in recent weeks dropped and Dallas looks like a raffle winner who needs game time but you couldn't trust him to give you anything.

It was dire again yet most of our fans are celebrating the fact we've took a good point off fucking Bromley at home, really. A point a game at home under Mellon is embarrassing, that's not progress as evidenced by the piss poor crowd again last night.

Finally if McGahey is the answer we're fucked, Mellons had ample opportunity to bring in the players we need but we still look absolutely devoid of ideas and attacking intent, we were told by all those ITK that we'd play better against the better teams in the division at home, well I think that myths been debunked, it's awful, mind numbingly shite to watch us at home yet Mellon continues to stick to his guns churning out the same shite week after week and is that stubborn he'll stick to his guns, if the away form slips at any stage we'll probably slip out of the playoffs which is criminal really given the money being blown on this squad.

You say "fucking Bromley" as if we are still a league team and should thrash them, but we're not - like it or not we're non league just like them. They finished 7th last season and got to the play-off semi-finals, only losing 3-2 in extra time to Chesterfield. This season they've been top 3 for quite a while. Maybe the performance was disappointing last night, but a 0-0 against a promotion contender isn't the end of the world.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Our home forms has regressed even from the time Unsworth was here so to simply bat it off and accept it seems a bit strange to me but eh oh, I don't like it - I think we should be doing better, saying all that I'd accept it if the point return wasn't pitiful. 

So what? 

We’re 5th. 

We’re 5th because we are the second best team away from home. I couldn’t care less where we win. 

Or are home wins more valuable than away wins?

Do they mean more? 

If we were second best team at home but shit away and still 5th- what’s the difference?? 

You can dress it up how you want, but you being entertained at home is more important than your team doing well overall. Which is completely bizarre. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Is it? I don't think that's the point I'm making but you can dress it up how you want. 

Simply we are shit at home and Mellon is unable to change that trend, yet we are the second best team away in the League since he came in.

You do seem to struggle to make your point. 

It may be that you cherry pick little snippets which distorts reality.

You threw in Thompson's time in charge, cleverly making it sound as though he was a world beater.

League One put some details in there for you  to put it into perspective, never saying he accepted it.

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So what? 
are home wins more valuable than away wins?

Do they mean more? 

in the heads of the BLOODY ELL EARDLEY saddo squad who don't do away games yes they are. lve literally heard them say 'l dont care about away matches l dont go to them'

they are intrinsically selfish and more than a bit brain damaged.

1 hour ago, South West Blue said:

From where we were under Unsworth to where we are now is a massive achievement we could have only dreamed of being in the play offs with less than 10 games to go. 

Well guess what we are, albeit not by playing attractive football but grinding out results and playing players out of position.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but by heck if by a small miracle we get promoted who the hell will care if we played hoof ball, Mellon ball or what ever type of ball is being played but I am damn sure we will all be celebrating our first promotion for over 30 years with our friends and family on play off day. 

If we don't get out of the league this season then MM will have done a decent job achieved the aims of the club which would have been reach the play offs and then have a full pre season, another transfer window and hopefully freed up some cash from the contracts of the deadwood and we go again.    

Right now, I wouldn't expect any other manager within our budget to be doing any better with the squad at his disposal.   

Well, all except @deyres42maybe. Though on second thoughts he'll probably tell us he always knew we'd go up.

Having logged on the board and read these posts, can someone confirm that it was just the sound that was faulty and not the visual, as I don't recall us losing 5-0, but drawing 0-0, against the side who started the game second in the league?

As if any football manager hasn't thought "if I play 4-4-2, with wingers, I'll win a football match". That is astonishingly naive and amateurish and reduces football to a question of a basic formation, ignoring the dozens of other factors that go into playing and managing in the sport.

Then I read some nonsense about demanding Mellon signs top-class footballers in a system made up of markets, half-way into a season. It's like me going to a Sunday market, hoping to find a diamond in the rough. You might do, but mostly you come away with little of significant worth. There is a reason why all of that gear is on sale at a Sunday market.

Some are frustrated and that is fine and understandable, but berating Mellon for anything and everything is not going to change the reality of our situation. 

I thought last night was a tough game but oddly our intensity, perhaps provoked by Bromley's historic traditions of playing non-league football, was precisely what would see us beat the sides down the bottom and lacking in confidence. We tired towards the end but it wasn't a bad point really.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

in the heads of the BLOODY ELL EARDLEY saddo squad who don't do away games yes they are. lve literally heard them say 'l dont care about away matches l dont go to them'

they are intrinsically selfish and more than a bit brain damaged.

It’s just bizarre. 

I know we all disagree sometimes, but this is off the scale. It’s literally arguing black is white. 

‘Yeah, I know we’re second best team away from home and we won again last week, and yeah yeah, we might be 5th. . . but that doesn’t mean anything. I’m bored when I go to home games. 🤯

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Has anyone said get rid of him, by the way...?

That's a fair point.

I should have also added this:

4 hours ago, Ackey said:

And yes, of course I am exaggerating the point for silliness's sake.   

To the post which followed right after, too: 

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

Fucking shit. Get rid. 

Bigger picture - I'm biased by the fact I can't remember the last time I watched us at home, given I don't live there anymore. I'm also biased by generally liking numbers more than opinions. The data suggests he's doing a good job, and whilst the sample is small the hope is the trend continues. When factoring in other things (such as his incredible pedigree at this level, as I mentioned above) you'd hope that to be true - but that can't be said for sure yet, I accept.

I think what I sense a lot on OWTB at the moment is a combination of two things:

1. Impatience - as above, fixing a broken team of any kind is hard and slow (ooh err).
  2. Perfect being the enemy of good - we should strive for more, we should be better, we should not be complacent... but ultimately we're points per game performing better than ever, let's not take that for granted. Again, that's not to say we can't improve. But we have to surely be happy. This thread, and many others, seems so painfully sad and unhappy about what is - stats wise - good. We started the season expecting first, we should expect first next year (if it comes to that) - but right now we're doing good, very good, and that brings it back to point number 1.

But then I live 250 miles away, see us 4-5 times a year. So I do accept and appreciate that my opinion by its very nature has a luxury of time and space, and many on here don't have that. It's less personal to me, no matter how much I care. So I certainly don't want to seem condescending or dismissive of others and how personal poor performance feels to them. 

• Like 6