MATCH: Bromley (H) 05/03/24

8 minutes ago, Ackey said:

That's a fair point.

I should have also added this:

To the post which followed right after, too: 

Bigger picture - I'm biased by the fact I can't remember the last time I watched us at home, given I don't live there anymore. I'm also biased by generally liking numbers more than opinions. The data suggests he's doing a good job, and whilst the sample is small the hope is the trend continues. When factoring in other things (such as his incredible pedigree at this level, as I mentioned above) you'd hope that to be true - but that can't be said for sure yet, I accept.

I think what I sense a lot on OWTB at the moment is a combination of two things:

1. Impatience - as above, fixing a broken team of any kind is hard and slow (ooh err).
  2. Perfect being the enemy of good - we should strive for more, we should be better, we should not be complacent... but ultimately we're points per game performing better than ever, let's not take that for granted. Again, that's not to say we can't improve. But we have to surely be happy. This thread, and many others, seems so painfully sad and unhappy about what is - stats wise - good. We started the season expecting first, we should expect first next year (if it comes to that) - but right now we're doing good, very good, and that brings it back to point number 1.

But then I live 250 miles away, see us 4-5 times a year. So I do accept and appreciate that my opinion by its very nature has a luxury of time and space, and many on here don't have that. It's less personal to me, no matter how much I care. So I certainly don't want to seem condescending or dismissive of others and how personal poor performance feels to them. 

Great post Ack. 

What I’m struggling with, is the absolute fixation from some people with how their personal struggle to watch home games. . trumps the overall picture of how well the team are doing. 

Some are coming across as, the good stuff is irrelevant because I’m really struggling with not being entertained. It’s becoming fan enjoyment over the club doing well- which I can’t get my head around. 

This isn’t aimed at anyone, but the club doing well is far more important to me, than if any fan feels entertained during the game.  

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Great post Ack. 

What I’m struggling with, is the absolute fixation from some people with how their personal struggle to watch home games. . trumps the overall picture of how well the team are doing. 

Some are coming across as, the good stuff is irrelevant because I’m really struggling with not being entertained. It’s becoming fan enjoyment over the club doing well- which I can’t get my head around. 

This isn’t aimed at anyone, but the club doing well is far more important to me, than if any fan feels entertained during the game.  

Is it not just the case that more people comment on home games because more people see them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Is it not just the case that more people comment on home games because more people see them?

Not really Dave. 

It’s that some people only care about what they see. But that’s not being fan is it? 

That’s being wilfully blind to the other 23 games- because you don’t see them. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Not really Dave. 

It’s that some people only care about what they see. But that’s not being fan is it? 

I've watched abject shite for the majority of about 30 years, seen us at all the 92 league grounds and dozens of non league grounds but now I'm not a fan  because I don't like the shite Mellon's team churns out at home, good one that.

Anyway back to your point about how a fan behaves there are some right fucking hypocrites on here then who used to steam in to Unsworth, Shez, etc.... at every available opportunity, as a fan we've all got opinions even though we all ultimately want the same thing, we've discussed this before and I conceded that i respect your position of being able to view the bigger picture as you should mine of viewing each result in isolation, your definition of success won't align with everyone's though.

I'm not going to come on here though bigging up last night when I thought the last 70 minutes were dross regardless of the result, I see it as 2 points lost whereas yourself and Mellon are happy to see the scoreboard ticking over even if it's a lost opportunity to move further up the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

You do seem to struggle to make your point. 

It may be that you cherry pick little snippets which distorts reality.

You threw in Thompson's time in charge, cleverly making it sound as though he was a world beater.

League One put some details in there for you  to put it into perspective, never saying he accepted it.

Thompson went unbeaten, showed us a way to win at home and probably provided us with the most comprehensive home performance we've seen, he got results at 2 points a game which is what I'm hearing it's all about, I've not cherry picked nothing they are hard facts. He managed us for six games and the players didn't down tools once as they have for Mellon on several occasions. 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

as you should mine of viewing each result in isolation,

Do you mean literally last week- when I said, I agree with you that home games are tough watch and I’m not thinking this is great. Or when I said I’ve no problem calling it shit- if it’s shit. 

Kidderminster was shit.

But last night wasn’t shit. 

Your reaction to losing to a bottom four side and drawing to a side second in the league is exactly the same though. You rip it apart without any positive. When quite clearly the performances and result were different. 

Against Kidderminster - you were quite justified, and me, Mellon and his dog agreed. 

Against Bromley, we’ve started well created two great chances, tailed off but made sure we didn’t get beat. Is that amazing. . no. Is it in the same league as the defeat to Kidderminster?? Not a chance. 

Do you see what I am doing?  I’m taking each game in isolation. 

As for your point below- I know how much you follow us. It’s therefore baffling to me, how I hardly ever see you come on after an away game and say how pleased you are with away results and performances because you do actually watch us away. Nor do ever bring it up in your opinion of Mellon and how he’s doing. 

You criticise him for the home form. Where is the praise for away form? 

Why is the home form more important to you than how well we are doing overall? 

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've watched abject shite for the majority of about 30 years, seen us at all the 92 league grounds and dozens of non league grounds but now I'm not a fan  because I don't like the shite Mellon's team churns out at home, good one that

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Thompson went unbeaten, showed us a way to win at home and probably provided us with the most comprehensive home performance we've seen, he got results at 2 points a game which is what I'm hearing it's all about, I've not cherry picked nothing they are hard facts. He managed us for six games and the players didn't down tools once as they have for Mellon on several occasions. 

Go back and read the Dagenham at home thread. Almost identical complaints all round in terms of the quality of the football. 

You could argue from a results point of view that Thompson may have done as well as or better than Mellon but I don’t see how you can claim the quality of football at home was any better. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Go back and read the Dagenham at home thread. Almost identical complaints all round in terms of the quality of the football. 

You could argue from a results point of view that Thompson may have done as well as or better than Mellon but I don’t see how you can claim the quality of football at home was any better. 

Or the Kidderminster away thread. 

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

But it got us 2 points a game at home under Thompson yet some are trying to dismiss that because of 'who we played'.

Thompson needed players as did Mellon, I just expected a little more at home given he's brought in 6 players yet nothing has changed, other than when Stones made a considerable difference. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Not really Dave. 

Of course, a fan only who can only attend the home games is going to care about what they see, especially if what they see is shite because they want to see their team winning games. It doesn't mean they don't appreciate and celebrate the away wins just because they are not there to witness them.

You must appreciate that when the team you support doesn't win at home, the only place you can watch them win and gets the results away from home, then it becomes pretty frustrating as fan and surely raises the point of why bother going to the home matches at all. Season ticket holders have a different conundrum..already paid..go or don't go? Personally, I would go regardless.

Overall though, if the away form does the job and home form, shit as it is, gets the meagre points in addition required to achieve the playoffs, then it doesn't matter where the points come from but you cannot say people who only care about what they see are not fans. They are and they simply want their team to perform and win for them where they can see it.

There really is no way to please all of the people, all of the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It doesn't mean they don't appreciate and celebrate the away wins just because they are not there to witness them.

This is exactly what’s happening though Wardie. 

It’s the same posters every week who go quiet when we win away. Then go apoplectic after every home game. 

It’s the same posters who never say- ‘as much as I’m struggling watching us at home’ (which I understand) I’m delighted we’re 5th with the away form. 

This is a really exciting time for us as a club, and all some are concerned with is repeatedly stating how shit we are, which very obviously isn’t the case. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

This is exactly what’s happening though Wardie. 

It’s the same posters every week who go quiet when we win away. Then go apoplectic after every home game. 

It’s the same posters who never say- ‘as much as I’m struggling watching us at home’ (which I understand) I’m delighted we’re 5th with the away form. 

This is a really exciting time for us as a club, and all some are concerned with is repeatedly stating how shit we are, which very obviously isn’t the case. 

100%. Our home form isn’t sustainable long term if we want to be successful as a club. But in the context of the 2nd half of this season only, it’s not as crucial because of our away form. Getting promoted from where we were when Mellon came in would be a great achievement. 

This would be our first play offs in 17 years ffs! Yet the general tone of conversation feels no more positive than this time last year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Who are these posters who don't post when we win that you keep referring to then, defeats generate more traffic - it's the same at every club in the land from Man City down, your happy to accept poor performances and others would rather discuss, it's as simple as that.

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Who are these posters who don't post when we win that you keep referring to then, defeats generate more traffic - it's the same at every club in the land from Man City down, your happy to accept poor performances and others would rather discuss, it's as simple as that.

You - for a start. 

Haven’t seen you post anything positive in what is a great recovery season for us. 

If I’m wrong- what are you enjoying about this season? 

I’m enjoying-

Recovering from an awful start.

Being the only season in my life where we’ve won every away game I’ve been to. 

Seeing Sutton Develop. 

Having a prolific forward in Norwood  

Mikey’s contribution and his strange and wonderful run. 

Having a chance to think about going to Wembley for the first time in 30 years.

My first season taking my daughter to games. 

Frank’s exploits. 

The continued backing of the family. 

Being able to sing EIEIEO and it not be tongue in cheek. 

The return of genuine hope that we’re going places. 

Meanwhile- I’ve asked you time and again why you won’t acknowledge always wins in any analysis and you can’t offer anything. We don’t have a lot of defeats under Mellon to be negative about. .  . so that argument doesn’t stack up. (And as I’ve said to you many times, when we’re shit - Ebbs, Woking, kiddy I’ll be the first to say it’s shit) 

Your last line is just comedy.  😂

Yes - I love poor performances just as much as you hate being 5th. . 🙄

• Like 2

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

You - for a start. 

Haven’t seen you post anything positive in what is a great recovery season for us. 

I’m enjoying-

Seeing Sutton Develop. 

Frank’s exploits. 

Meanwhile- I’ve asked you time and again why you won’t acknowledge always wins in any analysis and you can’t offer anything. We don’t have a lot of defeats under Mellon to be negative about. .  . so that argument doesn’t stack up. (And as I’ve said to you many times, when we’re shit - Ebbs, Woking, kiddy I’ll be the first to say it’s shit) 

Don't let it get to you League One. 

Yard dog's sole purpose is to get people angry and to rabble rouse.

I personally enjoy his posts because it's fascinating how someone can constantly view everything in such a negative way. Just like when we all see a tackle and some say it's fair and others say it's a red card.

I do wonder though why yarddog puts himself through it if it bothers him this much as I would definitely find something else to do.

I hope it is just Latics that gives him this negative attitude and not life in general.  Try and praise something, anything, it really does make you feel better :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Only Blue said:

Don't let it get to you League One. 

Yard dog's sole purpose is to get people angry and to rabble rouse.

I personally enjoy his posts because it's fascinating how someone can constantly view everything in such a negative way. Just like when we all see a tackle and some say it's fair and others say it's a red card.

I do wonder though why yarddog puts himself through it if it bothers him this much as I would definitely find something else to do.

I hope it is just Latics that gives him this negative attitude and not life in general.  Try and praise something, anything, it really does make you feel better :)

People can be overly positive. That’s just as tedious to be honest. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

People can be overly positive. That’s just as tedious to be honest. 

😂 Definitely. 

I was just highlighting the many things that are good/positive - if you choose to see them. 

If we are woeful on Saturday though, then all that goes out of the window. 😂

Just now, League one forever said:

😂 Definitely. 

I was just highlighting the many things that are good/positive - if you choose to see them. 

If we are woeful on Saturday though, then all that goes out of the window. 😂

Sorry wasn’t directing it at any posters, was just a general statement haha. 

We need a win on Saturday or people will panic and meltdown. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

You - for a start. 

I’m enjoying-

Seeing Sutton Develop. 

Frank’s exploits. 

how you feel on this is how l felt with all of you under Unsworth!! 

Jayzus was l wrong.