MATCH: Bromley (H) 05/03/24

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

I thought I’d seen on Twitter/X he’s Reid’s mate and since his suspension he’s dropped off. Not sure if true or not but his form since Xmas has been nowhere near what first half of season was 

Get rid if he’s not interested, I’m sick of watching him sulking

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Ditching Reid for Dallas looks like a smart piece of business.

Obviously reasons behind it but it's very difficult to see what Dallas brings to the party, confidence looks shot and he appears unfit. I'd certainly have Walker in there before him.

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

We have no identity.

I have no idea what our aim is during a game.

Other than just kicking the ball there is a severe lack of wide play, balls into the box, link up from midfield to attack and very little quality on the ball.

On paper a good point but woeful to watch.

In 5th position and we look clueless.

One common denominator at home, 3 centre backs and 2 defensive midfielders in front of them.

My impression is not conceding goals is MMs  priority.

It might work away, but nothing will change at home no matter who we play.

Not sure what Dallas brings, if he's not fit now when will he be?

Why are better players like Walker and Atherton not even considered? The only thing I can think off is going back to my original point - not conceding goals is the main aim.

If we start to lose away games as is possible what will MM do then?

McGahey tonight..say no more.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Truth is we should have won that. Their keeper made two good saves (the second was a great save down to his left). I don’t recall them testing ours. 

Not sure we would have deserved it mind.

Kitching continues to drive me mad… he’s a shadow of his previous self. Why? 

We get worse when the wing backs drop deep, this is a recurring problem in home games, but MM seems not to cotton on to this.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

McGahey tonight..say no more.

Midfield is horrific - still not seen anything from Conlon. Don't really blame McGahey as he's not a midfield player especially for home games with 3 centre backs behind him!Would have tried Gardner and Hammond second half for those two.

Tough watch yet again, as expected really. Yet again on chances created we have to be winning these games though, and could easily have 2 home wins in 4 days if we take some extremely easy chances. We all know our limitations, but it’s still super frustrating at times. 
Glad we only having 4 home games left now, and we have to go in to these next 2 massive away games with some confidence that we are decent away. Hopefully 500+ on Saturday at Aldershot, and can make some noise in that stand too. 

29 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

With the player's Mellon's been allowed to bring in

You'd be fooled into thinking there would be something far better to watch at home

He keeps playing poor hoof it players is a bigger problem.

Four strikers, three of which are proven at this level or above and the other (Fondop) who's mercurial enough to cause opposition defences panic.

We didn't give any of them a proper opportunity to score with the way we set up tonight, aside from maybe Garner in the early stages.

Mellon has got enough points so far to justify that he's doing the job that needs doing, but surely he could be setting the team up in a more effective way than he currently is?

We made enough mistakes tonight that very nearly led to goals to say that the clean sheet was more down to luck rather than a particularly skilled defence.

Playoffs will be progress this season, but it clearly could be so much better than this.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Mcgahey was like the Fat lad in PE tonight the game  passed  him by especially 2nd half. Can’t believe  we didn’t bring Hammond  on 

Looks like a pub player and the fact Mellon turns to him is worrying,  I know he organises but fucking hell he's slow and ponderous.

18 minutes ago, Handsy said:

Mcgahey was like the Fat lad in PE tonight the game  passed  him by especially 2nd half. Can’t believe  we didn’t bring Hammond  on 

He was a liability in the second half, almost like his blood sugar had dropped suddenly , didn’t know who was behind him,  and I know he’s no whippet but he literally has zero pace whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Never expected a 0-0. Might have been a tough watch but at least it's not a loss, as per the usual outcome of these insanely turgid home games.

Yarddog certainly did.
It more than crossed my mind too. 
Not unexpected but the result suits them more than it suits us. 

Things that don’t count. 

2nd in the league not rolling over. 

Chances actually created. 

Draws. 

Moving up in the league. 

Clean sheet. 

Adapting to who you’re playing. (Southend some good spells, Bromley a dogfight) 

Anything else? 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 4

Although I can't argue with a lot of the criticism of the quality on show. I quite enjoyed the game. Wasna good battling performance against a certain solid outfit.

Certainly indeed that we are showing a bit of mental strength at the minute.

Obviously the next few games are crucial.

Would be great if chesterfield could have it tied up before they play us.

I am sure previous posters have covered all our frailties and errors of tonight's match but one thing no-one can say is that the team lacked commitment.

They battled hard and just fell short of winning a very tight game.

• Like 4

0-0 was probably a fair result really, we had a couple of decent chances early in the first half and they had a few first half and 1 on the counter 2nd. Other than that it was just a bit of a scrappy contest, no real fluency from either side. I thought the set up was actually ok from us it's just we didn't have the personnel to make it work. Mcgahey & Sheron do a lot of work in the middle and it makes us more solid defensively, Conlon is better on the ball but what there isn't is someone who can carry the ball forward and drive us up the pitch. Thats why we often just resorted to hoofing it over the top hoping that Norwood & Garner create something for themselves, which every now and again will work, but isn't a reliable way of creating chances (and is also horrible to watch). Bromley are proof that you can have success playing garbage football in this division but my concern is that this style we have at the minute (I know occasionally we play some decent stuff but it's mainly rank bad, especially at home) won't work if/when we go up. The momentum of a promotion shouldn't be wasted on a style of football that we don't want to carry on with as we attempt to progress up the pyramid.

Oh and can someone remind the ball boys what their job is. Won't move unless the ball is right next to them, lazy shits 😂

First 15 minute we were at it and should have taken the lead. Once they started getting crosses into the box we kept dropping deeper and deeper.

the way teams have got at Bromley is pace and passing it round them. They drew us into hoof ball which was always a losing battle. 

We are 1 win in 5 but only lost 1 in 8. We are starting to draw too many games now. 

with the fixtures we have, we are going to need to rely on the away form but can see us being outside the play offs shortly. 

We started well for first ten minutes and Garner should have scored a brace. Then, it was crap. Really crap. Hogan and Kitching spend more time on the floor and arguing with officials. Dallas needs to do a lot more and Raglan has us defending far too deep. End of my input...

• Like 1

First 15 was good, then we fell into our usual habits of pumping it long fairly aimlessly. That being said, Bromley are clearly a decent side and a point in isolation isn’t a bad result. 

In terms of style of play, we really all just need to get used to it for now. Whether it’s Mellonball or Mellon making the most out of what he has, I don’t think we have the players to effectively play any other way. None of our midfielders have shown they’re capable of dictating a game and we have no one in the team with pace who wants to take the ball on the half turn and run at the opposition (Green the exception if we’re being generous, but he’s injured). 

What’s most frustrating for me is we have the best set of strikers for the level we’re at that I can remember yet we’re so poor in wide/creative areas that they hardly have a sniff. 

Think last night also showed the importance of Hammond as the only midfielder willing to break opposition lines, even if his end product is questionable.

• Like 3