MATCH: Bromley (H) 05/03/24

4 minutes ago, south east latic said:

In terms of style of play, we really all just need to get used to it for now.

This is very true. Mellon has even told us all this recently, yet it’s seemingly a shock to many every time we play this way. 

It was a bit frustrating last night, but on reflection I’m convinced now that his sole focus is the end of season and the play off matches. Especially with resting Hammond and rotating all the strikers last night. I think he knows his preferred 11 and wants all players fully match fit and sharp for the very end. Then it comes down to having everyone available to go out and win individual games against other teams with similar form to us.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

First 15 minute we were at it and should have taken the lead. Once they started getting crosses into the box we kept dropping deeper and deeper.

the way teams have got at Bromley is pace and passing it round them. They drew us into hoof ball which was always a losing battle. 

We are 1 win in 5 but only lost 1 in 8. We are starting to draw too many games now. 

with the fixtures we have, we are going to need to rely on the away form but can see us being outside the play offs shortly. 

The centre backs must all need head scans after that game, I’ve never seen so many headers, was literally constant. If Bromley’s game is that of attrition and physicality then I think we did ok. 

• Like 1

Good interview by Mellon I thought. Decent point, could have played better, should have taken chances, ref blowing every few seconds doesn’t make for a good game. 

His leadership and experience in tight play off games could make all the difference. 

Funny how almost all posting within an hour of the match ending come out with total drivel.

McGahey, as crude as he is, only gets that spot because without him our back line is constantly exposed to waves of attacks. He plugs the hole and prevents Sheron from naturally dropping deep (Where he's at his worst). If you can't see what McGahey brings to the team in that respect then you're a moran IMO. It's not pretty, but we're a far more resolute team who will compete and battle against the physical teams of the division. When your key midfield signings of last summer don't even make the bench (with one out on loan), it illustrates what a terrible job was done in that area. 

Shit, scrappy match, which is what the opposition dictated, and to come away with a point is some kind of progress. Can easily see us losing those type of matches previously. The play offs is six teams from eight now with Alty winning. Next two matches are crucial with four points minimum the aim.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Funny how almost all posting within an hour of the match ending come out with total drivel.

McGahey, as crude as he is, only gets that spot because without him our back line is constantly exposed to waves of attacks. He plugs the hole and prevents Sheron from naturally dropping deep (Where he's at his worst). If you can't see what McGahey brings to the team in that respect then you're a moran IMO. It's not pretty, but we're a far more resolute team who will compete and battle against the physical teams of the division. When your key midfield signings of last summer don't even make the bench (with one out on loan), it illustrates what a terrible job was done in that area. 

Shit, scrappy match, which is what the opposition dictated, and to come away with a point is some kind of progress. Can easily see us losing those type of matches previously. The play offs is six teams from eight now with Alty winning. Next two matches are crucial with four points minimum the aim.

Mcgahey was a complete liability. He was chasing shadows all game. Caught on the ball many times. He hindered us last night 

Just now, BradKnowles1 said:

Mcgahey was a complete liability. He was chasing shadows all game. Caught on the ball many times. He hindered us last night 

He got caught on the ball a couple of times. But he stopped them marauding through the centre, which happened time and time again when he wasn't there.

Like I said, he's a sticking plaster over a festering wound, left untreated from last season. Who else would you have in the middle that breaks up play?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He got caught on the ball a couple of times. But he stopped them marauding through the centre, which happened time and time again when he wasn't there.

Like I said, he's a sticking plaster over a festering wound, left untreated from last season. Who else would you have in the middle that breaks up play?

Great post. 

Who else is there to break up play and sit in front of the back four.  

Lundy

Conlon

Sheron

None of them can do it. 

MaGahey isn’t playing because he’s pirlo in disguise he’s playing because there’s no one else. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It is no good harking back to the summer, the manager has had plenty of time to address the deficient areas. His record so far in that department is decidedly mixed.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It is no good harking back to the summer, the manager has had plenty of time to address the deficient areas. His record so far in that department is decidedly mixed.

So no summer window is 'plenty of time', ay?

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

😂😂😂

It’s no good ignoring the league table and points gained, his record so far in that department is good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Morning all.

3 wins in 9.

10 goals scored.

No goals in open play this calendar year for Big Jim Norwood.

Twitchy times for the form table lads.

10th in the table on New Year's Eve, 5th in the table now.

Keep digging.

1 hour ago, south east latic said:

First 15 was good, then we fell into our usual habits of pumping it long fairly aimlessly. That being said, Bromley are clearly a decent side and a point in isolation isn’t a bad result. 

In terms of style of play, we really all just need to get used to it for now. Whether it’s Mellonball or Mellon making the most out of what he has, I don’t think we have the players to effectively play any other way. None of our midfielders have shown they’re capable of dictating a game and we have no one in the team with pace who wants to take the ball on the half turn and run at the opposition (Green the exception if we’re being generous, but he’s injured). 

What’s most frustrating for me is we have the best set of strikers for the level we’re at that I can remember yet we’re so poor in wide/creative areas that they hardly have a sniff. 

Think last night also showed the importance of Hammond as the only midfielder willing to break opposition lines, even if his end product is questionable.

We have wide men with pace who are creative in Walker and Atherton, but l MM won't play them for the sole reason he prefers 3 centre backs and wing  backs (who are supposed to get forward, but too often sit deep).

It's getting an  obsession which is killing fans interest and a fall in home attendances must surely raise alarm bells with the board - that's assuming they ever hold formal meetings.

If we were to start losing away games they'd have to take notice then.

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

So no summer window is 'plenty of time', ay?

The loan market available straight away, January window, I'd say that's a good period yes especially given he's made what, 7-8 signings in that period.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Good stuff, let's see where he finishes up in the only table that really matters.

No, preposterous observation. Your earlier post indicates that we are going nowhere. MM out. He's had "plenty of time" 🤣🤣🤣 to sort this, we should be on our 3rd or 4th manager of the season by now.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It's not that simple. That John Sheridan in his prime signing is probably just not available or doesn't want to drop down to us. 

He signed Conlon, which looked good on paper, but maybe hasn't been the success story we'd hope he would be (yet).

It wasn't great last night - Unsworth-esque in parts - we relied to much on their poor finishing to get a result, but I'd rather be getting away with those sort of results at this end of the table than lower-mid, like Unsworth was. We've got to get up by hook or crook. Last night didn't do us any damage on that front. 

Going to bang the drum for Big Mike as a starter again - when he came on, he gave us an energy that the other two up front didn't bring. The opposition were scared of him (hence the near eye-gouge he received). The crowd seemed to lift too. Got to start if we're playing these tactics..

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Sounds like another horrific home performance, thank the Lord we only have 4 h9me games left and 5 away. Also, tonight puts paid to the silly idea that we could finish 2nd or 3rd, we need to focus on scraping 07th

How can a clean sheet 0:0 performance be “horrific”. Wow some of our fans still expect NL players to be as good as those worth 50 million.

11 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

No, preposterous observation. Your earlier post indicates that we are going nowhere. MM out. He's had "plenty of time" 🤣🤣🤣 to sort this, we should be on our 3rd or 4th manager of the season by now.

He's had plenty of time to sort the areas of the squad that needed most attention.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's not that simple. That John Sheridan in his prime signing is probably just not available or doesn't want to drop down to us. 

He signed Conlon, which looked good on paper, but maybe hasn't been the success story we'd hope he would be (yet).

It wasn't great last night - Unsworth-esque in parts - we relied to much on their poor finishing to get a result, but I'd rather be getting away with those sort of results at this end of the table than lower-mid, like Unsworth was. We've got to get up by hook or crook. Last night didn't do us any damage on that front. 

Going to bang the drum for Big Mike as a starter again - when he came on, he gave us an energy that the other two up front didn't bring. The opposition were scared of him (hence the near eye-gouge he received). The crowd seemed to lift too. Got to start if we're playing these tactics..

The only time we've looked half decent for any period of time was with Stones.

Quite why they chose to replace him with an immobile striker in his mid 30s is anyone's guess.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Quite why they chose to replace him with an immobile striker in his mid 30s is anyone's guess.

We've got Dallas, who could be of that ilk (although "yet to peak")..

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

How can a clean sheet 0:0 performance be “horrific”. Wow some of our fans still expect NL players to be as good as those worth 50 million.

My impression is MM is so scared of losing home games he's happy with draws, which is why we saw McGahey sat in front of the back 3 and the wing backs deeper as the game wore on.

We need to be bold and  play attacking footbal to win home  games, not hoof it upfield only for the opposition to set up play again.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Please tell me you are not serious and you are saying these things just to fuel a debate??!!!

A manager has to come in mid-season, get rid or massively improve all the old under performing players and then every player he brings in either by loan or transfer has to immediately be perfect.

Ohh yes you are right!!! That happens with every other manager, so why not ours. I see it now that is plenty of time, MM out!!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

4 in 7 probably