BPAS PODCAST: 25th Mar '24, S4E32: Backwards March

After allowing ourselves to dream that there was some hope left in our playoff push last week, it's back to the reality that our team is simply too inconsistent to maintain the levels of performance required to make it happen. No wins in March, with one game left this month. We need an Easter like the one in 1974...

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Edited by BPAS

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 25th Mar '24, S4E32: Backwards March

glad all three voices think the same as me about our inability as a fan base to show decurum or not act like a pack of yappy, pathetic hand bag dogs when we don't get our own way.

sad thing is we make them worse by highlighting them. determined to double down and 'show us' arent they? despite outcomes, logic and basic sense showing that these actions don't help.

• Like 1

Spitting abuse doesn’t help, and a line needs to be drawn. 

But booing at the end is an acceptable way to demonstrate your frustration. The idea everyone just quietly walks away and suppresses their frustration to protect the players is never going to happen- and nor should it. 

They love coming over after a win, they need to be big enough to cop a bit when we are abject. 

• Like 4

• Matt featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting phone-in last night.  Couple of points caught my attention:

"The Fylde players thought our fans were toxic". 

With respect to Fylde players, it's a bit different to the one man and his dog who watch them.  Also, define "toxic" - angry that we're 3-0 down within 20 minutes in a crucial game?  And not strictly true - as mentioned on the phone-in, it MMBWA was being sung at 3-1.  I think it is poor form if the fans effect the players so much.  Is fan negativity helpful?  No.  But why do the players really give a shit what a load of beer-swelling, pie-eating numpties, who've probably never kicked a ball in their life think?  They need a thicker skin to an extent..

"Only us and York use Statbomb". 

Get rid of it.  Let the manager bring the players in.  it might work for Arsenal, but it's a different sport down here.  A simpler one.  So keep it simple!

"Allegedly an experienced manager has said he wouldn't have James Norwood near his team because of his bad attitude and because he's a bully"

I'll expect the aggressive counter arguments, but not surprised if there's truth behind this. There's "being nasty" in a positive way for the club and there's just "being nasty".  Our downturn in form has coincided with his return to the team.  Also, he hasn't scored from open play since Oxford at home!  Blimey!  I didn't realise that.

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'll expect the aggressive counter arguments, but not surprised if there's truth behind this. There's "being nasty" in a positive way for the club and there's just "being nasty".  Our downturn in form has coincided with his return to the team.  Also, he hasn't scored from open play since Oxford at home!  Blimey!  I didn't realise that.

It's not true. He scored at home to Gateshead in December from open play...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

"The Fylde players thought our fans were toxic". 

With respect to Fylde players, it's a bit different to the one man and his dog who watch them.  Also, define "toxic" - angry that we're 3-0 down within 20 minutes in a crucial game?  And not strictly true - as mentioned on the phone-in, it MMBWA was being sung at 3-1.  I think it is poor form if the fans effect the players so much.  Is fan negativity helpful?  No.  But why do the players really give a shit what a load of beer-swelling, pie-eating numpties, who've probably never kicked a ball in their life think?  They need a thicker skin to an extent..

"Only us and York use Statbomb". 

Get rid of it.  Let the manager bring the players in.  it might work for Arsenal, but it's a different sport down here.  A simpler one.  So keep it simple!

"Allegedly an experienced manager has said he wouldn't have James Norwood near his team because of his bad attitude and because he's a bully"

One manager likes a player, the next doesn’t. It’s a game of opinions, it’s not fact because some manager has said they would rather not want him. 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

One manager likes a player, the next doesn’t. It’s a game of opinions, it’s not fact because some manager has said they would rather not want him. 

Yes, some think managers by definition know it all, but in fact can have less knowledge than the average fan. They can bluff well though.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

But why do the players really give a shit what a load of beer-swelling, pie-eating numpties, who've probably never kicked a ball in their life think?

I reckon that many fans who have watched football for 50 years or so do know more about the game than the players they are watching.

*from a beer drinking, burger eating numpty who has kicked a ball a few times over the years 😉

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I reckon that many fans who have watched football for 50 years or so do know more about the game than the players they are watching.

*from a beer drinking, burger eating numpty who has kicked a ball a few times over the years 😉

😃

As someone similar (and hopeless footballer), you're probably right.

But if we want the players to think about the inevitable "abuse" differently, they have to build their resilience  They can't let it make them go into their shells, we want them to use it as a positive tool and think "fuck-you, who are you to tell me I'm shit" and go and prove these fans wrong.

Easier said than done, like.  

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 1:32 PM, JoeP said:

Sort of blows the myth out of the water that he's a model pro, I've heard several stories doing the rounds about him and let's just say he's not my cup of tea.

He's desperate to get away in the summer as he somehow thinks he's still got what it takes to operate in the Championship, he'd be the first I'd have out of the door if I we have any interest in building a team. When Mellon came in he went on a bit of a run in front of goal but we are winless in his last nine games and he's bagged one goal, against Chesterfield in the only game he looked arsed. Scored 11 in 15 when Mellon was appointed.

Coincidence?.

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sort of blows the myth out of the water that he's a model pro, I've heard several stories doing the rounds about him and let's just say he's not my cup of tea.

He's desperate to get away in the summer as he somehow thinks he's still got what it takes to operate in the Championship, he'd be the first I'd have out of the door if I we have any interest in building a team. When Mellon came in he went on a bit of a run in front of goal but we are winless in his last nine games and he's bagged one goal, against Chesterfield in the only game he looked arsed. Scored 11 in 15 when Mellon was appointed.

Coincidence?.

Nope...personally think the evidence was there from quite early-on, but let's not go down that rabbit-hole.

Get a fee for him over the summer, and it'd work out well all round.

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nope...personally think the evidence was there from quite early-on, but let's not go down that rabbit-hole.

Get a fee for him over the summer, and it'd work out well all round.

No sensible club is paying a fee for him.

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Considering he’s scores about 30% of our total goals, we would be fucked without him. 

Only if he scores 30% of our goals next year again and isn't having a negative effect in the changing room..

• Matt unfeatured this topic