MATCH: Halifax Town (?) 18/04/24

Doesn't help when you've got the manager and captain telling fans to fuck off because they get all sensitive when someone points out they've been fucking useless and cruising for the past couple of months, add Hudson and McGahey to those who've had spats with fans and it's not difficult to buy into the Micky Mellon bull that he knows what an 'Oldham Athletic' team looks like, stories about Norwood haven't gone down too well amongst the diehards as well so it's not difficult to see why there is disconnect, I suspect season ticket sales are piss poor and for me it's up to those at the club to attempt to get everyone back on board because the last two months has been car crash. I'm surprised they are taking the 700's down south because it's been awful and bad enough watching it from my living room.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m not having a go at the fans, as such. 

I am simply saying the atmosphere and the acceptance that we arnt going to make the play offs seemed to set in far earlier than it should have. I include myself in that. 

I think the toxicity of our fanbase in the desperation for success is the reason why we've probably had the worst home record of any football league team over the past 30 years myself. Even when we had good teams.

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think the toxicity of our fanbase in the desperation for success is the reason why we've probably had the worst home record of any football league team over the past 30 years myself. Even when we had good teams.

Yes it's all the fans fault 😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I am simply saying the atmosphere and the acceptance that we arnt going to make the play offs seemed to set in far earlier than it should have. I include myself in that. 

But it's the job of the players to lift the fans ,not the other way round.  Apart from the Aldershot game, and maybe the  first half against Chesterfield ( who had already thrown the towel in for the season ) the fans have had NOTHING to shout about, or show any enthusiasm for.  The players have somehow found a way to silence the Athleticos along with the rest of the home fans. And all season long the only atmosphere in the ground  is generated by a couple of hundred away fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Doesn't help when you've got the manager and captain telling fans to fuck off because they get all sensitive when someone points out they've been fucking useless and cruising for the past couple of months, add Hudson and McGahey to those who've had spats with fans and it's not difficult to buy into the Micky Mellon bull that he knows what an 'Oldham Athletic' team looks like, stories about Norwood haven't gone down too well amongst the diehards as well so it's not difficult to see why there is disconnect, I suspect season ticket sales are piss poor and for me it's up to those at the club to attempt to get everyone back on board because the last two months has been car crash. I'm surprised they are taking the 700's down south because it's been awful and bad enough watching it from my living room.

Don’t like players being targeted for stick but good grief some have earned an element of it this season.They need reminding this lot of what they are there for and who they are playing for and the fact we the fans have been monumentally let down by them at the crucial moment this season. I’ve never seen such a weak mentality collectively when you compare them to other teams we’ve had and that’s the biggest problem for me. It’s why I’m not at all surprised about the position we are currently in and missing the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You could be right although it’s a bit of a chicken and egg thing that for me.ive stood and sat with some idiots over the years in the stands but at some point the players/club have to deliver too. 

5 minutes ago, True Tic said:

You could be right although it’s a bit of a chicken and egg thing that for me.ive stood and sat with some idiots over the years in the stands but at some point the players/club have to deliver too. 

They had no reason to not turn up when Frank came home, none at all. They probably played in front of the best home atmosphere in a decade against Kidderminster and the day had a feel good factor about it, even when behind they were encouraged but didn't have it in them to show up, you wouldn't want some of them in the trenches with you that's for sure and that 'performance' has become a bit of a norm for this bunch. Give them an excuse and they'll hide behind it.

55 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You have to be taking the piss!! Fans have followed them in numbers all over the fucking place this season and got practically nothing in return.

Even the Athleticos have been very subdued over the last few weeks and the disconnection between fan & player is as bad as I’ve ever witnessed.

Total responsibility has to be taken by the management and this absolutely horrendous squad of serial underachievers!

Exactly.  What was their excuse for Frank's homecoming? It was a celebratory atmosphere until the game started...

48 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Sorry, that is nonsense.

Sing encouragement?  The players can't handle the pressure..

Criticise?  The fans make a toxic atmosphere..

Do absolutely jack shit and stay silent? The fans should be lifting the team!

The fans cannot win and it's a complete and utter cop-out blaming them.

What would really fuck me off more than losing these next two games is winning both of them in style and missing out on the play-offs.  The players have had umpteen chances - for the fans, for the club, for themselves to make this a successful season and they've chosen to approach a load of crucial games like it's a knockabout in the park.

If the fans are having that much influence on it - we need to get rid of the lot and spend money on personalities ahead of perceived talent.  Players who genuinely want to be here and who want to do well for themselves and the others involved.  Players who who won't sulk when the chips are down.  Players who will encourage others and work hard.

This lot tick none of those boxes...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Is it ever that bad at home besides a few shouts from the main stand? I remember far more toxic away games over the years.  When things are bad at home people just tend to stay away and BP becomes a morgue.

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Sorry, that is nonsense.

Sing encouragement?  The players can't handle the pressure..

Criticise?  The fans make a toxic atmosphere..

Do absolutely jack shit and stay silent? The fans should be lifting the team!

The fans cannot win and it's a complete and utter cop-out blaming them.

What would really fuck me off more than losing these next two games is winning both of them in style and missing out on the play-offs.  The players have had umpteen chances - for the fans, for the club, for themselves to make this a successful season and they've chosen to approach a load of crucial games like it's a knockabout in the park.

If the fans are having that much influence on it - we need to get rid of the lot and spend money on personalities ahead of perceived talent.  Players who genuinely want to be here and who want to do well for themselves and the others involved.  Players who who won't sulk when the chips are down.  Players who will encourage others and work hard.

This lot tick none of those boxes...

I’m not saying it’s the fans fault. I am saying that we all accepted the season was over probably about 5 games to early. 

We are all responsible for that. Manager, players and fans. 

42 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I agree. It often gets said that we're no different than other clubs in this regard but I don't believe that. We have had a far worse time of it than pretty much any other club over the last 30 years (unless you want to count ones going bust).

So that makes it understandable that there's a more toxic element among our fans than others. What I think the club needs to do is understand that and look at ways it can try to help things. It's too passive just to say it'll be fine once results pick up. What could the club be doing over the summer to try and improve the relationship between club, players, management and fans for example?

This isn't a 'fans fault' post. It's trying to acknowledge what we've been through as a fan base and understand the anger on the terraces over things not being better than they are yet. And everyone (eg club/fans/oasf) trying to proactively do something about it rather than just wait for us to win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, O.A.F.C. said:

..When things are bad at home people just tend to stay away and BP becomes a morgue.

Which it could just well become if the ST sales are as piss poor as we expect them to be. Frank's homecoming after rowing the Atlantic at over seventy years of age was a colossal achievement and phenomenal effort. The clowns on the pitch couldn't even match a fraction of that for 90 fucking minutes. They bottled it before the ball was even kicked.

Unfortunately, it was all downhill from thereon in. Shite after shite, gutless and can't-be-arsed performances for whatever reason the fans will never know, unless some fucker spills the beans on social media. I don't expect them to beat Halifax and Wealdstone will probably be another 0-0. 

Predicting Southend to sneak into the final spot and Barnet to clinch promotion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If the fans are having that much influence on it - we need to get rid of the lot

Agreed - let’s get rid of the fans and bring in a new lot.. oh, that’s not what you meant is it? 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m not saying it’s the fans fault. I am saying that we all accepted the season was over probably about 5 games to early. 

We are all responsible for that. Manager, players and fans. 

The fans accepted it was over because of what was happening on the pitch.  How are the fans supposed to change that, when they can't encourage, criticise or even stay silent, because of the supposed negative effects it has?

It's nothing to do with the fans.  The players and management have created the air of resignation.  If the players are influencing the players that much, we need new players.

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

They had no reason to not turn up when Frank came home, none at all. They probably played in front of the best home atmosphere in a decade against Kidderminster and the day had a feel good factor about it, even when behind they were encouraged but didn't have it in them to show up, you wouldn't want some of them in the trenches with you that's for sure and that 'performance' has become a bit of a norm for this bunch. Give them an excuse and they'll hide behind it.

Yep, literally no excuses this time, everyone else has done their bit, fans owners etc, you’ll always get the clowns in the stand -deal with it within reason.
Give us something to get behind. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Some suggested that the managers dour personality may not necessarily be the right fit for this club but were told such things didn't matter.

Now your really scraping the barrel. Fact is the players we have are shit.

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Which good teams would they be?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Agreed - let’s get rid of the fans and bring in a new lot.. oh, that’s not what you meant is it? 😉

Ah, a retained and released list for fans as well as players!

Dear Season Ticket Holder

Oldham Athletic would like to thank you for your 30 years of service to the club. However, when your season ticket expires at the end of May you will be released as a supporter of Oldham Athletic . . . 

• Like 1

It's not the fans fault the players have shit the bed in the last month and a half of the season however I'm not sure it gives us the right to hurl abuse either.

While I'm abit bemused at some of the opinions I hear at Boundary Park, which have left me asking what game are you watching I don't think BP has been massively toxic, it only really turned toxic to David Unsworth in his final few games. Apart from that I don't think it's been that bad from my observations. 

I don't think social media helps as it amplifies the noise quite alot too.

Edited by GlossopLatic

17 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Ah, a retained and released list for fans as well as players!

Dear Season Ticket Holder

Oldham Athletic would like to thank you for your 30 years of service to the club. However, when your season ticket expires at the end of May you will be released as a supporter of Oldham Athletic . . . 

Get out of jail free card