Baxter or Philliskirk

Baxter or Philliskirk  

137 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion who is the better player

I for one would have Baxter back in our team any day of the week

And so would I, still think it would have been possible to build a team around him, let others do the majority of the running and Jose kills 'em. Anyway we move on, I still believe we are heading in the right direction

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that pins down the vagueness of the question.

True. Tarky and Smith would have been bigger losses to the team but we still knew something special was gone when Baxter left. I hope moving to the Pigs isn't the end for him, if he is going to find a niche he needs better players around him

Anyone who says Baxter wasn't anything special is either still very bitter or completely and utterly :censored:in clueless. He was a cut above the rest and arguably his class kept us in this division. The only bad choice Baxter ever made was to join another league one club when he could easily play in the league above.

He wants to play. So he chose us and then, when nudged out, Sheffield Utd - presumably expecting to start games.

He should be a division higher. There he'll have more talent around him.

Ignoring the pointlessness of this thread for a moment; and Just wanting to pick up on the nudged out part of your post.

Baxter himself, along with his agent, would only sign for us on his longer deal with the addition of a piss-poor; low sell-on clause being in there.

That was clearly designed to give him an easy way out should he ever want it.

Via his agent, that low value of the clause was banded around to all & sundry during pre-season.

I'm not saying the cash - albeit comparetively low for a player of his quality - was not extremely valuable for the club; and that they too may not have been fully "innocent"in the transfer......

But - a player inserting a clause like that clearly didnt need much of a nudge to leave for a "better" proposition*

Baxter was a class act. A player who, all told, comes along once in a good while. It was, at times, a joy to watch him play for us. Other times; he blended right in to the average dross of League One. But, when he was good; he really was very, very good.

* IMO, he has massively :censored:ed up in leaving for Sheffield United, he could have done so much better i feel...

Ignoring the pointlessness of this thread for a moment; and Just wanting to pick up on the nudged out part of your post.

Baxter himself, along with his agent, would only sign for us on his longer deal with the addition of a piss-poor; low sell-on clause being in there.

Via his agent, that low value of the clause was banded around to all & sundry during pre-season.

I'm not saying the cash - albeit comparetively low for a player of his quality - was not extremely valuable for the club; and that they too may not have been fully "innocent"in the transfer......

But - a player inserting a clause like that clearly didnt need much of a nudge to leave for a "better" proposition*

Baxter was a class act. A player who, all told, comes along once in a good while. It was, at times, a joy to watch him play for us. Other times; he blended right in to the average dross of League One. But, when he was good; he really was very, very good.

* IMO, he has massively :censored:ed up in leaving for Sheffield United, he could have done so much better i feel...

It wasn't so much a clause to give him an easy way out if he wanted it, but more a "I can leave in the summer and you will get a small something for me, or I will leave now and you will get absolutely nothing."

Everyone knew when he signed that he would be sold in the summer transfer window, the only surprise is that he didn't move up a level.

You also ignore the fact that Baxter did not want to leave. He was litterally forced into a car and driven to sheffield.

You also ignore the fact that Baxter did not want to leave. He was litterally forced into a car and driven to sheffield.

At gun point?

He was under contract with us here. If he was happy, and didn't want to go - he didn't have to.

He left.

Cracking player - but he still inserted the low sell-on clause into his contract, and he still left at the 1st available opportunity.

Offered twice his salary at Latics according to SC so wouldn't have needed massive strong arm tactics to move out?

Yep. Couple that with being told he isn't wanted and factor in that sheff united are quite a big club, the result is head down bottom lip stuck out and off he goes.

Baxter is a better player. Baxter was directly involved in more gols. Baxter is younger. Baxter is worth a lot more money. Baxter cracked better jokes. But Phil plays for us so I voted for both.

If he were that good he would be playing and scoring every game for Sheff Utd instead of warming the bench.