245 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Ched Evans for OAFC

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this said a few times, what is the evidence? I don't know anyone who refers to Hughes when I discuss Latics.

Really ? I get it a lot... Specially recently....

How could I give you evidence ? Strange request :)

Edited by oafc0000

I think this is more a reflection of your strong views at the time and the people you associate with.

I was happy to give Lee Hughes a second chance. He'd served his time and appeared apologetic and contrite. Evans is neither of these.

I don't. The only time it has been mentioned in the last two or three years to me has been these last few weeks when mainstream media have been comparing footballers cases. Prior to that Hughes was well out of everyone's conscience.

Interestingly I've not picked up on Luke McCormick being mentioned.

Someone else had it right, if you don't like the sentence write to your MP. Otherwise he is a free man to do as he pleases within the terms of his parole and the laws of this country.

I don't. The only time it has been mentioned in the last two or three years to me has been these last few weeks when mainstream media have been comparing footballers cases. Prior to that Hughes was well out of everyone's conscience.

Someone else had it right, if you don't like the sentence write to your MP. Otherwise he is a free man to do as he pleases within the terms of his parole and the laws of this country.

Who put the issue around Hughes into the media eye. One of our own directors. Prior to that I'd not seen much, if anything, about Hughes and given that I've not seen much, if anything about McCormack either shows just how good at PR Barry Blatter is.

Correct, it is perfectly legal, but it doesnt stop the moral discussion over his place in society. If he acknowledged he had done wrong & showed even a hint of remorse or rehabilitation, then this wouldnt be in the media spotlight half as much. Its as though he feels he has done time for something he didnt do, and he is using his profile to try & intimidate a reverse decision & slander this poor young girl who is a victim. Hes a scum bag for doing it, and an even bigger scumbag for not making amends when he was found guilty. Lee Hughes was a scumbag for what he did, but after time, he realised he had done wrong, showed remorse, apologised & tried to make amends whilst in & out of prison. Thats why it was easier to swallow as a Latics fan signing him.

If Sheffield United do decide to employ him, as they are well within their rights to do so, it doesnt mean fans/sponsors/other employees of Sheff Utd shouldnt feel uncomfortable about it, and voice these concerns. God help him when he actually gets onto the pitch infront of a hostile Sheffield Wednesday/Millwall crowd.

Talking about the legals is utterly pointless. Everyone can see and accept he would legally be fine to continue to play football. Since when was the law the end point for moral viewpoint ? Its not a legal issue its a moral issue.

Edited by oafc0000

Correct, it is perfectly legal, but it doesnt stop the moral discussion over his place in society. If he acknowledged he had done wrong & showed even a hint of remorse or rehabilitation, then this wouldnt be in the media spotlight half as much. Its as though he feels he has done time for something he didnt do, and he is using his profile to try & intimidate a reverse decision & slander this poor young girl who is a victim. Hes a scum bag for doing it, and an even bigger scumbag for not making amends when he was found guilty. Lee Hughes was a scumbag for what he did, but after time, he realised he had done wrong, showed remorse, apologised & tried to make amends whilst in & out of prison. Thats why it was easier to swallow as a Latics fan signing him.

If Sheffield United do decide to employ him, as they are well within their rights to do so, it doesnt mean fans/sponsors/other employees of Sheff Utd shouldnt feel uncomfortable about it, and voice these concerns. God help him when he actually gets onto the pitch infront of a hostile Sheffield Wednesday/Millwall crowd.

Your last point is a big one, and one that's not been touched on from what I've read - what about the safety of his team mates?

At somewhere like Millwall or Leeds they could really go the extra mile to try and attack him on or off the pitch.

I wouldn't want to be stood next to him if that were to happen.

Why should he apologize for a crime he believes 100% that he did not commit? Courts have been known to get convictions wrong from time to time.

In his current predicament, he cannot get back in to football until his case has been reviewed.

Why should he apologize for a crime he believes 100% that he did not commit? Courts have been known to get convictions wrong from time to time.

In his current predicament, he cannot get back in to football until his case has been reviewed.

I am surprised he's not been advised to do just that.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but can we please not get involved in this issue when we visit Bramall Lane next Sat...

Don't want us to get sucked into boos or aggressive retaliation if, say, we hear any suggestive home chants about Ched.

I really, really hope we aren't low enough to start any.

Our away support has been a major positive this year.

It will inspire our team to win if it continues, but if we get sidetracked into negative booing or a Ched v Hughes sideshow then that'll only favour the hosts in my view.

Ignore any provocation. Silence in response to any Ched chants, volume in response by supporting our team - nothing more, nothing less.

Let's just back the boys, stick to our usual songs, and get the three points.

LJBAWA

My sentiments exactly. I don't know the in's and out's of the case, only what I have read in the news like everyone else on here. If he came out now and apologised, admitted his guilt, expressed remorse etc etc, he would no doubt get a slightly easier ride in life. What has he got to lose? If he comes out and admits his guilt now they can't jail him again.

If he is still vehemently denying any wrongdoing then maybe he didn't do it after all. Only him and the alleged victim know for sure what went on in that hotel room. People get wrongly convicted of crimes all the time, as i'm sure many who are as guilty as sin walk free.

My sentiments exactly. I don't know the in's and out's of the case, only what I have read in the news like everyone else on here. If he came out now and apologised, admitted his guilt, expressed remorse etc etc, he would no doubt get a slightly easier ride in life. What has he got to lose? If he comes out and admits his guilt now they can't jail him again.

If he is still vehemently denying any wrongdoing then maybe he didn't do it after all. Only him and the alleged victim know for sure what went on in that hotel room. People get wrongly convicted of crimes all the time, as i'm sure many who are as guilty as sin walk free.

If he is still vehemently denying any wrongdoing then maybe he still doesn't understand consent.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but can we please not get involved in this issue when we visit Bramall Lane next Sat...

Don't want us to get sucked into boos or aggressive retaliation if, say, we hear any suggestive home chants about Ched.

It will inspire our team to win if it continues, but if we get sidetracked into negative booing or a Ched v Hughes sideshow then that'll only favour the hosts in my view.

Ignore any provocation. Silence in response to any Ched chants, volume in response by supporting our team - nothing more, nothing less.

LJBAWA

Never going to happen. You're talking about some of our fans who went to Bramall Lane last year and sang 'Montano, if the girl says no molest her'...

Again. I'm NOT defending him.

Sorry, I wasn't specifically replying to your post. More posing a general question. Worryingly leeslover is kind of following my train of thought...

I thought the point was that the victim didn't know what had gone on. Good job his brother filmed it really.

LJBAWA

But I want to sing Jose Baxter baby?

You're right, but by society's norms, until it is now proven otherwise, he is guilty and people have the right to question his lack or remorse. If the Inquiry goes against him, I would imagine that no one will touch him with a barge pole.

What if this woman really did consent to sex with Ched? He has maintained his innocence from the outset, maybe he should of seeked to prove his innocence before seeking a club, as things stand with the media I can't see any club being willing to tarnish there reputation by taking a punt on him.

I've read through the Ched Evans website which of course is Ched's legal team who are set out to be prove his innocence however looking at some of the evidence his difficult to see how the jury has decided without any shadow of doubt that he guilty of the said crime. I also find it strange that if this girl can't remember having sex with either of these two men who can one be innocent and the other guilty?

I wouldn't want Ched Evans at Latics unless his innocence was proven, The Lee Hughes saga has left us with a bit of a reputation for being a half way house of a club for convicts and wrongs uns, when Montano Gate erupted I had fans of other clubs saying stuff like "I'm not surprised its one of your lot" etc. This is purely down to us taking Lee Hughes onboard which at the time I was behind the decision, yes he had committed a horrendous crime but he and the club said all the right things and he appeared remorseful for his crime, looking back on that decision now it was probably the wrong one, there was always rumours of him being on the piss (as many of our players were at that time I might add) but the incident at the dogs that saw Sheridan lose his job was the was the moment I thought the penny dropped for me.