Why would you buy us ?

So you come from goodness wherever in this football mad world, and for whatever reason you decide you want to buy a club in our division.

Why OAFC on what you have seen so far, and where we are ?

Firstly - it is my view that SC has at last realised that if he wants to sell the club he has to put in place a management structure. Hence why we have today a comprehensive backroom staff. The non too subtle message to our prospective new owner being " hey look at all these football type people on board - you don't have to worry about the day to day on the pitch football type stuff , they will take care of it for you".

Secondly - look at where we are in terms of performance levels ( agreed this is on the basis of pre season - whatever that does or doesn't tell you, but .... (1) don't concede a lot ( l know, l know that this is based on pre season friendlies etc, but it's a point ), (2) we are solid in midfield, and don't look as though we are going to be overrun each week. What we are short of, is three players - one really creative midfielder to unpick defences, and a couple of real goalscoring front men. Chuck probably ten million at that and what you end up with is a side that gets automatic promotion ( if you find that difficult to accept, look at the number of games we have lost over the last couple of years by a margin of ONE goal ).

The one question we don't know the answer to, is how much SC and the others want for their white elephant of an incomplete new stand, that will never create a goal, score a goal, or stop a side from scoring a goal against us ..........

Now before people start jumping all over me, we actually think, that subject to the last point, there is a real solid basis in place, which could now go places with the right investment.

Corney wants too much money for what it's actually worth. That's why we have had no serious offers of any kind (koukash doesn't count). He's not going to sell the land we're on either unless he gets some serious serious money as he can just continue to make money on that with the incomplete stand, car park etc. I fear we'll be stuck with him and the incompetent board for the foreseeable future.

All football clubs at this level are the same - unless you have assets off the pitch then only people with sufficient wealth not looking for any return whatsoever would be interested. Sports mad, a fan of the club, a lunatic essentially.

I do think our club could be a sound investment. The new stand can generate income outside of the football but on the longer term so no immediate return I'm afraid. The surrounding land could generate even further income from leisure linked activities - cinema, bowling, restaurants etc of planning was possible.

The football side would need significant investment though funded from the off-field unless the owner is a multi-millionaire with a few millionaire to splurge with no return. Follow the Peterborough model of decent scouting of non-league, buying talent who can develop with resale value and sell to reinvest.

Nobody in their right mind would want to buy us. It is just a massive opportunity to throw wheelbarrows full of money down a bottomless pit. The only person hat would "want" to buy us would be a lifelong ardent supporter who had won the jackpot on euromillions i.e. £100 million + and used it as an expensive hobby.

The thing is there's people overseas with serious money who love football. Buying a club at this level is small change to them but it's just how you pitch our club as a long term project. Emphasise the late 80s/early 90s as what could happen, Utd and City on doorstep, tie in as a feeder club and from small acorns...

I'm amazed we haven't secured the interest yet. £10m is nothing to them and double that will fund an ambitious project for a football mad oil sheik, Far East business person etc with a redeveloped stadium at then end of it.

The potential of going toe to toe with the Manchester giants in 4-6 years in the top league is how it should be pitched.? All that for £20 mill!

They tend to fall into 2 types at our level but both tend to be football fans

The first are your Dave Whealens these guys want to play fantasy football and spend spend spend on the team aggressively for success. These people are on ego trips and can bring massive success or can crash and burn ala Chris Moore.

Then you have those who take pragmatic approach and try and build a club up through investment in the stadium youth development and recruitment. This is seen as taking a more long term view however it has to actually bring some success Burnley are a good example of it going right it it depends on making the right decisions.

Ultimately in both cases you have to be prepared to lose money. With the carrot of the PL TV deal now well over £120 million per season potentially their is an upside if you get it right ala Bournemouth infact the majority of PLondon clubs now turn in a healthy profit. Bournemouth are the exception but as long as clubs like them Watford Leicester Burnley, Hull, Middlesbrough are up there and with English football as popular as ever worldwide as it has ever been people will take a chance on lower league clubs.

Corney wants too much money for what it's actually worth. That's why we have had no serious offers of any kind (koukash doesn't count). He's not going to sell the land we're on either unless he gets some serious serious money as he can just continue to make money on that with the incomplete stand, car park etc. I fear we'll be stuck with him and the incompetent board for the foreseeable future.

koukash could well be one of the interest parties, rugby friends say he's been in dispute with league. And he,s close to walking away from the sport.

Nobody in their right mind would want to buy us. It is just a massive opportunity to throw wheelbarrows full of money down a bottomless pit. The only person hat would "want" to buy us would be a lifelong ardent supporter who had won the jackpot on euromillions i.e. £100 million + and used it as an expensive hobby.

We were a good proposition when Corney and co bought us. As much as it's touted they saved us, they did so because there was land to be built on and money to be made. It's unfortunate circumstances and bad management that's meant it hasn't gone to plan. Now all the land has gone and there's no reason to buy us and remain at BP.

If the asking price is right though for the club and the land, the land BP is on must still be worth a mint. If new owners were to come in and get everything for a reasonable price and sell the land and BP, there must still be money to be made from purchasing a bigger piece of land, building a new stadium and some of the other things that never materialised under Corney (hotels etc).

It's a mammoth task but for someone with deep enough pockets, OAFC as a brand could massively help a big development.

Staying at BP is only likely to be an option for a rich fan or a rich fool I reckon.

Edited by longtimeblue

Even if I was fabulously wealthy, I can't think financially of any good reason to buy Latics.

You might as well just write the money off.

The only way you would invest or buy the club would be out of blind sentimentality.

You would have to finance two promotions and then plunder the parachute payments.

If I was seriously wealthy i.e. in excess of £200m then I would ringfence £20m to buy, fund and have an exit strategy so that club was debt free over a five year project. At this level it would be more than achievable.

That's someone who could afford to lose that £20m but IF you were successful then you'd get that £20m back leaving the club on a financially sound footing and a lasting legacy to the Oldham community.

There's hundreds out there with even greater wealth who would be fussed if that £20m simply disappeared but would savour the experience of being a football club owner. Granted they'd want the exposure in the Prem playing your Chelsea, City or United but you need ten times that £20m (or more) just to buy a club let alone running it...and I mean Championship level.

If I was Gee I'd be networking in the oil rich or Far East countries.

That said, there is a nagging feeling that we're on stage one of something already. Enticing SOD, LT and even SR as manager requires funding that we struggled to secure last season for the playing side let alone coaching side. Titbits in the press stating investors in talks too. It wouldn't surprise me there's a change of ownership with the next 12 months and I mean the whole stadium, land, club etc. Probably not at your £20m project level but someone or some group who sees the potential of redevelopment at BP or elsewhere and another stab at rolling the dice to climb the football pyramid

I'm still not entirely sure why all these rich overseas oil barons would be interested. Throw away your money on a long-failing club in an economically deprived town (at least, compared to others) with dwindling attendances and in the shadow of much, much bigger clubs!

I'm still not entirely sure why all these rich overseas oil barons would be interested. Throw away your money on a long-failing club in an economically deprived town (at least, compared to others) with dwindling attendances and in the shadow of much, much bigger clubs!

That used to mean Citeh and Man Ure, but these days it's Bury and Rochdale.

I used to dream of winning the lottery and buying Oldham Athletic but the money required to take us to the top of the premier league is way to much, Just look at the Bolton debt. So dreaming about buying Oldham rugby league and making them a major team again, in an Oldham based stadium, will have to do.

#amillionisnotenoughanymore :omg:

We were a good proposition when Corney and co bought us. As much as it's touted they saved us, they did so because there was land to be built on and money to be made. It's unfortunate circumstances and bad management that's meant it hasn't gone to plan. Now all the land has gone and there's no reason to buy us and remain at BP.

If the asking price is right though for the club and the land, the land BP is on must still be worth a mint. If new owners were to come in and get everything for a reasonable price and sell the land and BP, there must still be money to be made from purchasing a bigger piece of land, building a new stadium and some of the other things that never materialised under Corney (hotels etc).

It's a mammoth task but for someone with deep enough pockets, OAFC as a brand could massively help a big development.

Staying at BP is only likely to be an option for a rich fan or a rich fool I reckon.

which bigger piece of land tho hasnt that been the problem for the TTA all along somwhere to move to within the boroughthat the nimbys wont block ?