Retained list & youth player decisions

21 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Is it maouche thats the snake in the grass or is it Benteke? That might be the reason hes been offered a contract.

You have to wonder... What kind of youngish pro is happy to spend year after year sat on the bench. Says everything about his hunger to play games.

Similarly with sefyl... Fairly certain he was in the main stand on saturday smiling and joking with a greasy looking guy who I assumed was his and others agent. We got thumped and they both appeared to stroll around like millionaire playboys. 

They're all getting a free ride and true pros like clarke are getting fooked over or sick of keeping the two sets of lads (Frenchlads and homegrowns) as close together as possible. 

Missilou the only one who can hold his head high and you wouldn't blame him for getting out to progress. Hes the only one with half decent career ahead of him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goal89 said:

Jesus christ. The absolute state of that parting  of ways with Clarke. He deserved more than that. Utter disgrace

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Anyone else feel like the last rites are going to be delivered. 

The owner, his brother and anyone else involved in this particular decision have no class about them whatsoever. Zero, zilch!!!

i spoke to Clarke after the game on Saturday and he said that they hadn’t offered him a new contract but “there was still time”. The guy wanted to stay.

Absolutely stupid decision to release him. He should have had another playing contract offered to him with a view to moving onto the coaching staff. He’s got the badges, and what he could pass on to young defenders would be invaluable. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/may/08052019-1819-retained/ 

Options Taken
Johan Branger-Engone
Christopher Missilou

Released
Jose Baxter
Peter Clarke
Dan Gardner
Jay Sheridan
Andy Taylor
Chinedu Uche
Urko Vera

Returning To Parent Club
Dapo Afolayan
Zak Dearnley
Alex Iacovitti
Daniel Iversen
Callum Lang

Already In Contract
Giles Coke
George Edmundson
Tom Hamer
Rob Hunt
Chris O’Grady
Harry Robinson
Sonhy Sefil
Jamie Stott
Javid Swaby-Neavin
Mohamad Sylla

Jonathan Benteke, Mohamed Maouche, Gevaro Nepomuceno and Zeus De la Paz are still in contract negotiations.

So I can understand why each of those released players haven't been offered deals.  Clarke is getting on a bit, Baxter has a troubled past and hasn't made enough of an impact this season, Gardner is coming back from a long term injury and hasn't really been missed, Taylor hasn't been great on the pitch, Vera the same and worse, Uche and Sheridan haven't really put pressure on the first team.

But we're now relying on the current owner(s) to reconstruct the whole team when they are clearly not fit for purpose.  Whoever they bring in as manager is going to be flawed even before trying to manage with their hands tied.  I strongly doubt that we'll attract the players to replace Clarke's influence (and ability) and Baxter's clear talent, to be honest I'm not convinced that we'll be able to bring in upgrades for Taylor and Gardner and that's before the likelihood that Edmundson, Hamer, Hunt and (if rumours are to be believed) Nepomuceno will leave the club.

The worst thing is:  how are we going to be able to sell the club to incoming players or managers?  The money won't convince them (even if they actually get it regularly), there are so many stories of the dysfunction at the club that players aren't going to take a punt on us unless they're desperate, and then if they are desperate then the alarm bells should be ringing about whether they're good enough.

I really hope that come the beginning of August that we have a functional squad, manager and backroom team that can compete at this level.  But I expect the worst because way too many things need to go right when they're all almost certain to fail.  We're in serious trouble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I’ve heard he goes past his office,turns back, goes past it again but then doesn’t actually do anything. 

Funniest thing I have read in weeks.

Still laughing. God knows I need it.

Thanks simply!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I’ve heard he goes past his office,turns back, goes past it again but then doesn’t actually do anything. 

On fire lately 😂. Sadly out of upvotes for the day:thumbsdown:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Nice lad yeah ? Do us a favour ? Tell him to stop fucking about and pass the ball please. Oh yeah tell him nice goal the other week tho 👍

He is a decent lad in fairness, also he’s not a bad footballer on his day in fairness, we have had far worse. 

Bloody hell - glad I didn't renew my season ticket - we're doomed unless something dramatic happens soon. I`ve decided to hand my season ticket money over to a different bunch of pussies (Pennine Pen Animal Rescue). I think my life long love affair with Latics is over; I can't stomach any more of this shit with absolutely no protest/fight from fans.

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Bloody hell - glad I didn't renew my season ticket - we're doomed unless something dramatic happens soon. I`ve decided to hand my season ticket money over to a different bunch of pussies (Pennine Pen Animal Rescue). I think my life long love affair with Latics is over; I can't stomach any more of this shit with absolutely no protest/fight from fans.

Can you protest about things being a bit shit? We are not in Blackpool/Bolton/Coventry territory.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Can you protest about things being a bit shit? We are not in Blackpool/Bolton/Coventry territory.

Try tuning into your intuitive side deyres.

I`ve watched Latics for decades - and witnessed all sorts, as have many others. This, for me, is the worst I have ever felt as a fan. A complete disconnect with the owner (far worse than any other), a fans' Trust that is out of touch with the fan base, consistent opinions from those leaving as to the source of all the problems, the worst squad of players I have ever seen, season ticket sales dropping (and fans now asking, and getting, refunds), a rapidly accelerating manager carousel - need I go on?

We should have continued the momentum when a protest was being organised (endorsed by the Trust) for the initial Tranmere game (postponed). Thereafter, we should have maintained pressure via protest. As it is everyone's off on their holidays and, in any event, there is no fans' organisation around to mobilise supporters in that way - never seen such a divided fanbase.

It's clear that cashflow is going to be a major problem and, without significant investment, we are not capable of building a squad to stay in this league. That's my opinion anyway - clearly yours differs - let's see what transpires.

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Try tuning into your intuitive side deyres.

I`ve watched Latics for decades - and witnessed all sorts, as have many others. This, for me, is the worst I have ever felt as a fan. A complete disconnect with the owner (far worse than any other), a fans' Trust that is out of touch with the fan base, consistent opinions from those leaving as to the source of all the problems, the worst squad of players I have ever seen, season ticket sales dropping (and fans now asking, and getting, refunds), a rapidly accelerating manager carousel - need I go on?

We should have continued the momentum when a protest was being organised (endorsed by the Trust) for the initial Tranmere game (postponed). Thereafter, we should have maintained pressure via protest. As it is everyone's off on their holidays and, in any event, there is no fans' organisation around to mobilise supporters in that way - never seen such a divided fanbase.

It's clear that cashflow is going to be a major problem and, without significant investment, we are not capable of building a squad to stay in this league. That's my opinion anyway - clearly yours differs - let's see what transpires.

A fanbase of 4000 can't complain too much if an owner decides they want to operate within their means.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

A fanbase of 2500 can't complain too much if an owner decides they want to operate within their means.

Think we might need to re-assess the fanbase based on the number of long-time supporters I know who've decided enough is enough now.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A fanbase of 4000 can't complain too much if an owner decides they want to operate within their means.

There are proper ways of operating within means, we're being run like a circus alienating the paying fans. If we were a dog, we'd be put down by now.