I know it doesn't really matter, but.... What players do we have, what do we need?

Will we go into the first game of the season with a (supposedly) sufficient squad for the season ahead?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Will we go into the first game of the season with a (supposedly) sufficient squad for the season ahead?

• Yes
    • No

New Keeper probably a loan again

Hamer

New CB 

Iacovitti

Hunt

Branger

Missilou

New CM

Nepo 

Two new forwards (I think O'Grady will still go) 

I'm assuming Edmundson will go.

Everyone else on our books are just squad players in my opinion and we need better, even for the bench. 

Sylla might kick on, Swaby could, Stott (but will prob go to Stockport), if Zeus stays I still see him as back up to a loannee although I think he'd be ok in this shit league. 

Hunt might well move on too.   

I could even see Hamer going if someone comes in with decent money 

So that's 5, possibly 6 first team starters plus two or three better options from the bench than we've already got. 

I think we'll sign the numbers but probably not the quality.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Hamer

New CB 

Iacovitti

Hunt

Branger

Missilou

New CM

Nepo 

Two new forwards (I think O'Grady will still go) 

I'm assuming Edmundson will go.

Everyone else on our books are just squad players in my opinion and we need better, even for the bench. 

Sylla might kick on, Swaby could, Stott (but will prob go to Stockport), if Zeus stays I still see him as back up to a loannee although I think he'd be ok in this shit league. 

Hunt might well move on too.   

I could even see Hamer going if someone comes in with decent money 

So that's 5, possibly 6 first team starters plus two or three better options from the bench than we've already got. 

I think we'll sign the numbers but probably not the quality.... 

Where’s Maouche?

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

Trying on dresses somewhere, light weight, no good for this league

As the Women’s World Cup gains momentum and credibility @latics22 , am I correct in thinking that you are still to be convinced that wearing a dress and playing football are mutually exclusive?

Edited by TheBigDog

Of the current squad I only want to see 3 players as starters those are Missilou Nepo and Hamer. 

So 8 starters

2 CBS

1 GK

1 Midfield ball player

2 wingers

2 Forwards

Plus 1 guy who can play both Number 10 or on the wings allowing us to change formation.

So that's 9 signings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Hamer

New CB 

Iacovitti

Hunt

Branger

Missilou

New CM

Zeus 

Hamer

Iacovitti

Stott

Hunt

Branger

Missilou

Sylla

Maouche 

Nepomuceno

O’Grady

There’s a starting eleven to get us out of this league... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Just so you all know the rules are you have to include 7 home grown players in each of your matchday squads including 1 player who is "club developed" I.e. has come through the youth system.

Rule changes 18-19 Season

That puts a kybosh on 11 #frenchlads turning out on day 1 then. I hope.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Zeus 

Hamer

Iacovitti

Stott

Hunt

Branger

Missilou

Sylla

Maouche 

Nepomuceno

O’Grady

There’s a starting eleven to get us out of this league... 

in which direction up or down ?

Looking at the squad list I'd take these players out of the equation:

George Edmundson (2020) - definitely best for him if he's goes and, with the reported fee, probably best for the club (if we actually see it).  Either way I'll be very surprised if he's still here by the start of the season.

Rob Hunt (2020) - surely he'll be getting out as soon as he can after what's gone on before?

Sonhy Sefil (2020) - no idea what he's like but if he's as bad as people say then I'll be surprised if he makes an impact in the 1st team.

Giles Coke (2020) - A full-body replacement and a talent transplant is the only way I can see him being injury free and good enough to get into the 1st team.

Which currently leaves us with:

Tom Hamer (2020)

Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option)

Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option)

Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

Christopher Missilou (2020)

Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

Harry Robinson (2020 plus option)

Mohamad Sylla (2020)

Chris O'Grady (presumably extended to 2020)

We'll obviously need a new 'keeper and a striker just to be able to function, after that we could do with a new player for every position apart from maybe left back.  So you're looking at 12 new signings (or contract renewals) to get enough players for a squad.  Luckily I don't think bringing numbers in will be a problem, but talent is much more of an issue.

I'd like to see Hamer start the season at right back and hopefully Stott will get a run in the side at left centre back, although I'm not sure they'll start the season well without a Clarke-esque influence in the back four with them.  Iacovitti looked OK at the end of the season at left back, but hopefully Swaby-Neavin will keep some pressure on him.

I like Missilou and Sylla as starting midfielders (Sylla certainly had improved at the end of the season compared to January) but the could do with a different style of midfielder alongside either of them.  Nepo to start on the left.  Does anyone know which side Robinson plays?  If he's on the right it would be great to see him put the pressure on Branger to become more consistent and earn a starting place on the right.

If O'Grady is our starting striker next season I'll be terrified and bored in equal measure.  He'll be useful as backup and as a dressing room influence though.  We'll need at ĺeast 2 out-and-out strikers and either a 3rd new striker or an attacking midfielder.

5 first XI signings are needed as a minimum, but I'd have no problem if we got upgrades in most of our positions.

Iacovitti  was poor when he played CB but he's ok at LB although he doesn't get forward enough. Zeus would be ok in goal, but again I expect a loanee, possibly the lad from West Brom, or he may be available to sign. 

For me we need a GK, 2 at CB, 2 or 3 creative players in MF and 3 or 4 strikers. That is virtually a new team.

These French players all need time to adjust and we may struggle if as many as predicted are signed.