Carabao Cup 2019/20

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Branger came on and we conceded 3 goals. His starting place is assured at Bradford on Saturday.

If he was playing right wing then he can be blamed because they did us with a couple of diagonals from the left back.

But Sefils positional sense is scarily bad its as its like watching a kid play Fifa on the play station for the first time who doesn't know how to control the players. 

Edited by GlossopLatic

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If he was playing right wing then he can be blamed because they did us with a couple of diagonals from the left back.

But Sefils positional sense is scarily bad its as its like watching a kid play Fifa on the play station for the first time who doesn't know how to control the players. 

A bit like the coach.

Just watched Banide's interview. The bloke is absolutely seething. I do feel for him getting instructions mid-match from above and having your team picked for you.. all that and the blame will land at his feet. He might as well just walk and save himself the forthcoming embarrassment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Just watched Banide's interview. The bloke is absolutely seething. I do feel for him getting instructions mid-match from above and having your team picked for you.. all that and the blame will land at his feet. He might as well just walk and save himself the forthcoming embarrassment. 

But they don't interfere.....

That is typical Oldham , any other team would have seen them pushing 3/4 players up onto our centre halfs in the last few minutes and pulled the midfield further back..We dont have the mentality to close a game out and it happened so many times last season to, last minute and late goals coz we are fucking clueless...

I was pleasantly surprised as i went to the game expecting us to get smashed by 5/6, Missilou and Sylla both put a shift in tonight and it was good to see Nepo back playing..

We really need Wheater at the back because there is not one person organising that back four, Mills got caught out with balls over the top a few times tonight and as for that useless big twat, im sure somebody is using a joypad and playing silly fuckers moving him about from the sideline because his positional sense is farcical..

Overall it was a fair result because they was by far the better side but we still could have nicked the draw at the end had Mills put his boots on the right feet..

Took my lad (1 week off 6 years old) for his first away day (coincidentally, mine was Blackburn away in 1986/87!). I'd sort of picked that so I could drop him off at my mums in Chorley afterwards and expected us to be comfortably losing so we could dash off when boredom set in early in the second half.

However, he absolutely loved it! We sat up near the drumming and singing for the first half and normally I prefer to sit well away from them but after getting over the initial shock of a loud drum banging away near him he was joining in after five minutes banging on the advertising hoardings at the back in time to the beat. The experience has changed my opinion of what the drummer brings. In the second half we moved down near mates and acquaintances and watched from nearer the front, with him sitting in the seat in front of me. The night was worth it alone for the golden moment of watching my son who watched intently as Mouche slammed in our second before I swept him up in the bedlam. A moment I'll cherish forever.

Anyway, onto the match. I thought we played OK in the main. I was just disappointed we offered far too much time and space in and around our penalty area. We really ought to have conceded before their first went in. Fantastic character from us and we deserved at least a draw if not the win. It's slightly injected a little bit of optimism in but we need to really tighten up at the back if we're going to keep a healthy distance away from teams around the bottom I feel.

• Like 9

Hold a one nil lead for best part of an hour, then concede two in last few minutes, naïve, poor play, bit of both? Whatever it is needs addressing, championship opposition or not.

Wheater and Egert or whatever his name is will help, trouble is they need to be on the field to do it.

I thought I read somewhere that Egert was doing some intense fitness work? Lets hope we see him on the field soon then because we are taking on water fast!!

Thoroughly enjoyable Cup game ..Completely different performance to that which we witnessed on Saturday. Not many teams in this league will want to play against that Forward line of ours tonight..We broke with purpose and plenty of pace about us. Yes we do need a leader at the back and maybe if we had tonight the final scoreline might have been different.Not taking anything away from the 4 who played in defense tonight everyone out in a shift maybe tiredness got to them as mistakes leading up to two goals, but thsts what The coaching team are there for

If we can take what we witnessed tonight into the bradford game we wont be far off .. 

30 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I know I will get hammered for this but Sefil did well first half. With a experienced player alongside him he will do ok. Fans need to give the lad a break.

your right Gaz, he won more than he lost in the air tonight aswell..

4 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

your right Gaz, he won more than he lost in the air tonight aswell..

Just seems to switch off and is nowhere near where he should be, how many times in that second half were balls played up to be knocked down or flicked on and he was nowhere to be seen.. I dont know what it is with him, he seems to push too far up and cant get back..

I agree he won quite a few headers in the first half but in all honesty they scored 3 and should have had 6..

He will improve with an experienced head alongside him..

54 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Thoroughly enjoyable Cup game ..Completely different performance to that which we witnessed on Saturday. Not many teams in this league will want to play against that Forward line of ours tonight..We broke with purpose and plenty of pace about us. Yes we do need a leader at the back and maybe if we had tonight the final scoreline might have been different.Not taking anything away from the 4 who played in defense tonight everyone out in a shift maybe tiredness got to them as mistakes leading up to two goals, but thsts what The coaching team are there for

If we can take what we witnessed tonight into the bradford game we wont be far off .. 

Couldn’t agree more. A balanced opinion of the game instead of all the negativity that some people are only too happy to write.

We looked a decent side tonight, much much better than Saturday - not difficult I know.

An extra man (Sylla) in the middle made things much easier for Maouche and Missilou, and going forward with the ball we looked to have quite a bit of pace.

We played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm and despite the gutting feeling of conceding those 2 late goals I was happy with the performance.

On Saturday it was difficult to pick a MoM because they were all poor apart from Woods, but tonight it was difficult to choose one because no one had a bad game, including Sefil who seems to be the whipping boy at the moment. He won some very commanding headers as far as I could see, and yes he’s definitely lacking in some areas, but maybe he’s inexperienced at this level and he’s still finding his feet. Give him a break. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Just back. Lots of positives with a midfield of Sylla and Missilou we look solid despite the goals we conceded tonight. With Wheater and Egbert to come back we should be ok. 

Woods impressive too.

If we looked so solid with missilou and Sylla in the middle tell me who was supposed to be picking the runners from midfield for the winning goals? Neither of them are anywhere to be seen when Blackburn walk it into the back of the net.

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we looked so solid with missilou and Sylla in the middle tell me who was supposed to be picking the runners from midfield for the winning goals? Neither of them are anywhere to be seen when Blackburn walk it into the back of the net.

Players make mistakes, some players are cleverer than others, especially Championship players against League 2 ones. Goals happen in games!

it was still a much better performance than Saturday.

Definitely some positives to take from it going forward.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, True Tic said:

Hold a one nil lead for best part of an hour, then concede two in last few minutes, naïve, poor play, bit of both? Whatever it is needs addressing, championship opposition or not.

Wheater and Egert or whatever his name is will help, trouble is they need to be on the field to do it.

I thought I read somewhere that Egert was doing some intense fitness work? Lets hope we see him on the field soon then because we are taking on water fast!!

Blackburn looked a different team when Dack came on we started defending deep  big gaps started appearing between Defence and attatck.. it Naturally happens as blackburn picked the pace up and pinned us back, its very hsrd to play against, and very hstd to play a higher line ,thats where a leader at the  back would have been ideal BUT again this isnt taking anything away from  Sefil and Alex Lavocitty at the heart of the defence.. they put their bodies on the line a few times, we just ran out of steam... 

alot of positves to be taken out from last night.. look forward to bradford on saturday 

Edited by Frankies6

1 hour ago, Gary1906 said:

Players make mistakes, some players are cleverer than others, especially Championship players against League 2 ones. Goals happen in games!

it was still a much better performance than Saturday.

Definitely some positives to take from it going forward.

Missilou has form for not tracking runners though even against league 2 opposition. I would have expected atleast 1 of Sefil Sylla or Missilou to have sensed the danger. 

On a more positive note Nepo's goal was a super strike Maouche's wasn't bad either.

Edited by GlossopLatic