Barry Owen. The truth

7 hours ago, Lags said:

I've had some feedback from BO, here are some of the contributions

1. work with the safety officer in ensuring the club is compliant with the law in respect of ground safety. This requires meeting with the local authority and emergency services.

2. Liaise with EFL and FA on regulatory matters involving discipline and appeal. He also currently sits on the disciplinary commissions for the  FA.

3. Liaise with referees committee re performance of referees.

4. Liaise with club legal team on internal discipline investigations and hearings.

5. Assist the ownership with recruitment of management team and players when requested.

6. Maintain relations with numerous agents and football clubs known over long periods resulting in signings such as Lang last season.

Along with general help on a daily basis when asked to do so.

He say's he's perfectly happy to meet anyone on a one to one basis to discuss club duties etc. and he is fully committed to helping the club on a daily basis.

I'd like to add I very rarely see BO either socially or in the course of my daily life. Perhaps speak with him once every 6 months or so. Yes I have his phone number, as I do Alan Hardy, as I did Corney, but that's not unusual lots of people do.

Some members of this board have shared their reasons for their beliefs and who's to say they're wrong, not me for sure. If it was me, I'd take up BO offer even if it's just to air my concerns but also to get a little insight into running a football club.  

Lags, Barry don't impress me much, but I have no dealings unlike some. I didn't like his obstacles to having an election, nor the manner of his departure from the Trust to OAFC, nor his lack of financial proprietary, for 7 years, and arbitary non payment of subs to Trust Direct. And didn't he also notoriously say we cannot afford the Championship? However  I did like the picture of him mopping the floor helping Simon Wood open his venue. Clearly I respect he helps the club.
But apart from 4, and by a thin thread 2, in what way is he qualified to do any of them? 

55 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I keep thinking at some point Barry Owen is going to rip off his latex head and reveal he's really been Barry Chaytow all along. Keep at it you meddling kids!

Or Chris Moore 😂😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lags said:

So it's not surreal then. Come on Dave just say it like it is, its all about something I said over 10 years ago. People still talk about the world being round all this time later.

You've just brought that up, not me. If it was about that I would have. 

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Whilst I agree with most of that.... it wouldn’t be Big Bad Baz’s (a sitting director of the selling party) job to ensure due diligence on the part of the buying party. That’s up to the buying party and their legal advisors.

It's not uncommon for a vendor due diligence pack to be provided with some warranties. Probably unlikely in this case as that usually happens when there are a lot of interested bidders! 

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Whilst I agree with most of that.... it wouldn’t be Big Bad Baz’s (a sitting director of the selling party) job to ensure due diligence on the part of the buying party. That’s up to the buying party and their legal advisors.

That not right. A seller often effectively helps with DD by disclosing any potential issues that are then warranted to prevent future claims by the buyer. It’s extremely common.  A seller doesn’t want to be sued down the line for not disclosing fully. 

Edit Dave_Og beat me to it. 

Edited by kowenicki

Lags

Interested to know your view on your thread  ?

For me, having read all the messages,  it seems to me that as BO has been involved as a Director of the club throughout the majority of the 'Corney years' and now the period under AL, that he is seen to most supporters as being part of the decline of our Club    

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Never met him so can't give an opinion on him as a person. Then again I've never met Boris Johnson but can. It's all supposition.🤔

Both buffoons who view us all with contempt. Boris probably do a better job.

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It's not uncommon for a vendor due diligence pack to be provided with some warranties. Probably unlikely in this case as that usually happens when there are a lot of interested bidders! 

6 hours ago, kowenicki said:

That not right. A seller often effectively helps with DD by disclosing any potential issues that are then warranted to prevent future claims by the buyer. It’s extremely common.  A seller doesn’t want to be sued down the line for not disclosing fully. 

Edit Dave_Og beat me to it. 

What I’m getting at is..... any obligations falling to the vendor, fell to Corney.... and unless instructed to do so - it wouldn’t be BBB’s responsibility or motivation esp in an instance where BBB was not due to benefit from any Sale through shareholding, nor - given what he might’ve known/his relationship with Corney not being great - wishing the Sale to fall through. In this scenario, BBB would’ve sat back and watched it play out in front of him. It was up to the purchasing party and legal team to tease out all they needed.

Edited by lookersstandandy

On 6/25/2019 at 12:46 AM, Lags said:

I was genuinely interested as to why BO is vilified every but which way, by it seems 90% of Latics fans. It seems every day, regardless the ill's of OAFC.

I find it interesting that less than 20 member's have actually replied with answers, so I think that say's a lot, there's quite a bit of going with the flow. That's not unusual in life. So any going with the flow people please don't see it as a slur. Lets say 8 have posted their reasons and all genuine to them and who's to say they are wrong thinking that way?.

What I've never liked the whole of my life is the gang mentality,  not just in this instance. It's a sad fact of life this goes on. We've all seen it, someone disagrees or doesn't like someone so they go about poisoning their character to others who are to weak to not be swayed. So on and on it goes.

Whilst I am not here to purely defend BO, am sure he's capable of doing that himself, I will a little. I've spoken to BO a number of times down the years including things I've not agreed with him over. I really do think we should cut him a little slack sometimes. No one gets everything right and we all put ourselves first sometimes, as no doubt BO has now and then.

Just to deal with one or two points that have been raised that might go some way to throwing a different outlook perhaps. The filling of late accounts whilst at the trust coincided with 2 bent accountants being taken to task and subsequent prison terms imposed. Maloney had been arrested for theft of large amounts of money from his employer and Nuttall was convicted and sentenced to prison for theft of Trust monies. So in those circumstances maybe some mitigation

It's very important to remember, BO alleges certainly the last two years of Corney's reign, he, Corney wouldn't work with BO or other board members over financial matters and they didn't know what he was doing. Everyone was finding it hard to know what deals were happening or what monies went where according to BO. BO freely admits that under such circumstances he could, maybe should have resigned. However in his own words he thought it best to remain on the inside in the hope to discover what really was going on. He is still instigating the hunt into what the goings on were. Again some may still insist BO should have known but if someone is hiding stuff, misleading or being secretive it's difficult to know just what that is. At this point I have to say, I don't know the above to be true, It's what BO claims to have happened. I saw it thrown at BO on here many many times he was just a yes man for Corney to keep himself cosy in the boardroom, BO says his relationship was far from cosy.

This due diligence I am sure Al had better qualified people on that one, I know I would have. There is absolutely no way I'd be blaming BO over Al buying a pup. 

There's one thing for sure which I am guessing we all agree on, the club is in a right mess. Fragmented, tangled and is going to take one almighty effort to turn it around. 

Blame BO for his failings not everything that's all I am saying. I knew this wouldn't be a popular post but I don't need gangs or universal backing, I was just curious who really did have a genuine grievance. 

I understand your original post Lags and i suspect that in the grand scheme of things, many of the issues you raise are legitimately answered by your reference to the 'gang' mentality. It's not pleasant in any way. You know that until very recently, i have lived my life reasonably highly in the corporate world, so i draw your attention to the line below that you used as part of your justification for raising the question.

BO freely admits that under such circumstances he could, maybe should have resigned.

BO had one option only (resignation), once he acknowledged Corney wasn't being open about financial 'goings-on' in the last two years (that strongly suggests that financial disclosure practice changed). It's a BS excuse to suggest he wanted to stay on the inside to work out what was happening. As a Director, that is bordering on illegal but is without doubt complete incompetence. Maybe he didn't understand his Director responsibilities but it was and is, his duty to understand those responsibilities, preferably before he took office.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Anyone told AL?

45 minutes ago, singe said:

I'd be amazed if they are!

seriously though, we need an update, 

interesting thing for me will be how transparent they are, or not 

fingers crossed 😉

Edited by tGWB
Error

7 minutes ago, tGWB said:

seriously though, we need an up date for what was our relegation season

interesting thing for me will be how transparent they are, or not 

fingers crossed 😉

Absolutely, a chance for a clean and transparent plate. Not holding my breath! More inportantly, his takeover time and Menig payments.

Edited by singe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

accounts for Oldham Athletic (2004) Ltd for the year up to 26th June 2018 should be out tomorrow  🤔

Due to be submitted or published? Imagine will be the standard uninteresting ones small companies have to publish and nothing more