Trotman Going - We Really Are A Joke!

I think this is maybe something to do with Gregan expected back sometime soon. £350k is decent money for a centre back who's pretty inexperienced and we do have adequate cover at the back. In Thompson we trust, right?

I would like to see who we've got at the end of this week though.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news.

I am a big fan of TTA are doing and I can see their way of thinking after Portergate but we should have at the very least offered him a deal! Also £350K for a player the potential Trotman has is scandalous! We really shouldn't be in a situation where we are selling our best players for relatively small amounts of money like this, most of all this doesn't make business sense because the chances are that Trotman is going to get even better, either sell him on at a higher price or keep him to help us push up the league next season which, again the chances are, he would do.

I'm fast losing optimism for our promotion chances for next season if we're selling all our top young talents! I expect that Eardley may be gone soon.

:rant.sml:

Also if we do sell Trotman then there goes our only potential threat from corners, always assuming we can get the cross past the first man that is.

And at the moment our only threat at all to the opposition IS the occasional corner that beats the first man and Trotters gets on the end of.

I suppose I should add that I don't believe a word of this and Trotters will still be here 1st Feb.

Agreed. Why is everyone treating an article like this as gospel? Don't forget that this is the same rag that told us that Porter had signed for Plymouth last January!

Two weeks ago, there were reports that Trotman was excused training so that he could talk to "a few" Championship Clubs. One of those was supposed to be Plymouth and yet he's still here. The FA Cup exit is a smokescreen and if we were going to sell, then he would have gone at the time of the offer. I suspect that one has not been made.

I also keep reading that Latics are a selling Club. Since TTA took over, nobody has been sold who we didn't want to keep. Only Gareth Owen and Adam Griffin have left for a fee since Josh Low was sold in the firesale at the end of the Chris Moore era. You can say that Chris Porter and Richie Wellens left for nothing but in both cases, TTA did everything possible to keep them at Boundary Park.

I will bow to those with superior knowledge regarding the "fact" that Trotman has not been offered a new Contract at Latics.

Because Porter was over the age of 23 we got nothing for his move north, if he was under23 we would have got a fee.

Are you sure about this Senor? (sorry to doubt you :) ) But I thought the under 23 thing was something that applied only to England having been given dispensation by UEFA I thought Bosmans between countries occurred no matter what the age which is why the big clubs like Arsenal have all these foreign kids who they have picked up when their first contract has finished and they haven't had to pay a fee. I also thought Porter was only 22 when he left which is why we could have gone to a tribunal if he had gone to Plymouth.

Are you sure about this Senor? (sorry to doubt you :) ) But I thought the under 23 thing was something that applied only to England having been given dispensation by UEFA I thought Bosmans between countries occurred no matter what the age which is why the big clubs like Arsenal have all these foreign kids who they have picked up when their first contract has finished and they haven't had to pay a fee. I also thought Porter was only 22 when he left which is why we could have gone to a tribunal if he had gone to Plymouth.

Porter was 23 when he left and why the crossing a foriegn border loop hole was triggered. Had he gone to an English club a fee was payable. Crossing a border includes Scotland and main land European countries.

I think most are saying if the club let Trotman go, then the consequences are...blah blah blah. I think we've sold a few youngster too deemed gems for the future in that time also IC.

True. Scott Spencer and Danny Philliskirk spring to mind but then again, they had never even got near the first team. In both those cases, I think it had a fair bit to do with what was best for the young lads in terms of their ambitions. Particularly so in the case of Philliskirk who of course got sage advice from his dad who knew that by moving to Chelsea, his future development would be greater and quicker due to the facilities and competition around him.

If Trotman goes, then again it is hard for a Club to stand in the way of a young man who is clearly on the up. If he really wants to go then it will be hard to stop him but to me, he doesn't seem the type to hold the Club to ransom. The crux would be the fee - and I'd be expecting at least £600k. Anything less and I can definitely understand why fans would be upset. That's my "valuation" and others may have a figure higher or lower in mind.

I think my main point though was that there is an article in a newspaper and all of a sudden, Trotman has signed on the dotted line for a team 300 miles away. I was sat with a number of his relatives on Saturday and he certainly appears to be family orientated.

I only know this because it came up last week when a young player at Motherwell was linked with a move to Boro, the article said that if he waited for his contract to run out at the end of the season Motherwell would be due compo due to being under the age of 23.

Arsenal only take advantage of the different employment laws in different countries, Fabregas was signed for little money (although Arsenal were caught tapping up) because Spanish law says you can't sign a pro contract until you are 18, which is the same in France I think.

Porter was 23 when he left and why the crossing a foriegn border loop hole was triggered. Had he gone to an English club a fee was payable. Crossing a border includes Scotland and main land European countries.

Hi Lags

Porter was 23 , my error. But getting back to the original point isn't the situation with Trotters the same, if he goes to an English club we go to a tribunal but if he crossed the border then we would get nowt?

Just spotted the Senor's quote

I only know this because it came up last week when a young player at Motherwell was linked with a move to Boro, the article said that if he waited for his contract to run out at the end of the season Motherwell would be due compo due to being under the age of 23.

thanks chaps I need to do some more swatting!

Edited by astottie

We are short on cover at centre half and if Trotman left wouldnt we be left with Hazell, Stam, a crocked Gregan and a crock in the making Thompson ? Pretty sure I read somewhere that Gregan's injury could well keep him out for the rest of the season and with the transfer window all set to shut we could find ourselves left with the centre halves. At the end of the day we need decent players to bring in decent crowds and selling off a key player (yes he is a key player!!) could result in even more fans throwing the towel in.

Drphibes

Guest sheridans_world
I read somewhere that Gregan's injury could well keep him out for the rest of the season

Now there is a name i have not heard in a while!

Hi Lags

Porter was 23 , my error. But getting back to the original point isn't the situation with Trotters the same, if he goes to an English club we go to a tribunal but if he crossed the border then we would get nowt?

Just spotted the Senor's quote

thanks chaps I need to do some more swatting!

If you go on the FIFA website, you can download a .pdf file with all the rules and regulations here. I remember doing so and going through it all with a fine tooth comb when Porter was "rumoured" to be joinging Dundee United ( :unsure:).

If you can work it all out, then you're a better man than me!

I also keep reading that Latics are a selling Club. Since TTA took over, nobody has been sold who we didn't want to keep. Only Gareth Owen and Adam Griffin have left for a fee since Josh Low was sold in the firesale at the end of the Chris Moore era. You can say that Chris Porter and Richie Wellens left for nothing but in both cases, TTA did everything possible to keep them at Boundary Park.

IC - you don't need to point out the obvious about this do you? No-one has been sold who we didn't want to keep - but nevertheless players have been sold (Spencer, Philliskirk etc) and to use your words Trotters might fall into the category of players TTA don't want to keep - mainly because of a big fat juicy fee.

Several players who we did want to keep - Wellens, Porter, Beckett, Clarke haven't been kept or captured. TTA did everything possible within their budget to keep them.

That's why we'll be a selling club - because we can't afford to capture and keep the players we need to get out of this division.

We didn't want to keep Beckett. Shez was offered the chance to sign him, Beckett was ready with his pen but Shez decided not to sign him because he didn't want to use most of his wage budget up on one player (Ronnie Moore's player).

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

We didn't want to keep Beckett. Shez was offered the chance to sign him, Beckett was ready with his pen but Shez decided not to sign him because he didn't want to use most of his wage budget up on one player (Ronnie Moore's player).

On the subject of Gregan i've heard we're trying to get rid due to the massive wage he's on.

Several players who we did want to keep - Wellens, Porter, Beckett, Clarke haven't been kept or captured. TTA did everything possible within their budget to keep them.

That's why we'll be a selling club - because we can't afford to capture and keep the players we need to get out of this division.

I am happy my club is run like that, without harping back to it we nearly lost this club once, I don't want to go through that again. If it means another 3-4 seasons playing 6-toed teams from nowheresville before promotion then so be it. We don't have a god given right to be in the Championship, we are in this league as we had a few bad seasons, played badly, got relegated and deserve to be where we are.

We were never going to get more than that for a player with less than 6 months on his contract and nowhere near that after a tribunal.

If it means we can bring in a decent stiker and midfielder I'm all for it since we have Rubes to cover, if no-ones brought in then it's very worrying.

Trotman as another 18 mths on his contract with Latics...

When we offered him a contract last Season we put in a clause like we did with Poggy that if he played a certain number of first team games a second year would be activated.. Trots as passed these number of games.. so He's now got an extra 12 mths on his contract ..

IMO £350,000 is too cheap for an intial fee considering what a good player he could be .. BUT its a risk for Plymouth considering how many games he's played