Hillstone Dev

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Token £1 will buy crisis club

SHATTERED dreams . . . committee member Tommy Glynn says the future of the club is jeopardy

by TONY BUGBY

BUSINESSMEN Craig Halliwell and Tony Bhatti, the men behind Hillstone Developments, are threatening to close Chadderton Football Club after withdrawing their financial backing.

If a buyer is not found for the Broadway club — they are offering it for a token £1 — they say the other option is closure.

The bombshell comes less than eight months after the pair completed their highly-publicised take-over and pledged to transform Chadderton into one of the area’s top non-league clubs.

And it leaves Chadderton, who this season are celebrating their 60th anniversary, teetering on the edge of extinction.

“These two men have put the future of the club in jeopardy and, unless things are sorted out, we could go out of business,” admitted committee man Tommy Glynn.

It is a far cry from August when Messrs Halliwell and Bhatti unveiled their ambitious blueprint after forming a new company Chadderton FC (2006) Ltd. They took over an existing lease from Oldham Council, which owns the Broadway ground, and also had their business plan approved by the Football Association.

It is thought there is interest in buying the club but the stumbling block is the amount of debt a new incumbent would incur.

Mr Glynn said: “We know there is an unpaid bill of £1,400 for training facilities while they have also defaulted on paying wages, both to the contract and non-contract players.

“What we need is for the owners to produce figures so anybody taking over the club knows the extent of the debts.” Messrs Halliwell and Bhatti, despite being owners, left the day-to-day running of the football club to the committee.

The committee has made numerous requests, both verbal and written, for a meeting with the owners to discuss the perilous plight of the club.

“If they have problems we would like them to come and discuss them with us, but they are refusing to speak to us,” added Mr Glynn.

The consequences of the decision of Messrs Halliwell and Bhatti to pull out is already having serious consequences.

Chadderton cannot take part in next season’s FA Cup after missing the deadline to pay their registration.

The £75 fee had to be paid from the account of Chadderton FC (2006) Ltd which is controlled by Messrs Halliwell and Bhatti.

The committee offered to pay the money to the owners in return for a cheque only for the request to be refused.

The committee has also had to have a whip round to pay the affiliation fees for the Manchester County FA. Had they not been paid by March 31 they would have been thrown out of the league.

Neither Mr Halliwell or Mr Bhatti returned our calls.

Hare-brained scheme anyway. There isn't room for a 'top non-league club' in the Oldham area. Not least because Latics have been a mere stone's throw from non-league status at certain points over the last decade. (I dread to think what might have happened had we been relegated in 1999...)

After the shrinkage of our stature as a club since the mid-1990s, Latics are barely bigger than some of the top non-league clubs anyway. A couple of recently non-league clubs have already left us behind (albeit they lost and regained league status fairly quickly.)

I hope Latics have had their shirt sponsorship money paid at the start of the season and not in instalments, or we'll be suffering as well.

I heard something about Latics being in trouble about this.

My dad heard something but didnt know the details, just that we hadnt received 'full payment'

I heard a rumour from a friend who knows a bloke down the pub whose wife talks to a woman in the launderette who has a son who interpreted a message from Skippy the bush kangaroo (for the older fans) that all the sites that Hillstone have are on stop and nobody is working on them and that they owe Latics about £70,000 for this years sponsorship.

My source is very reliable. Honest!!!

KEEP THE FAITH

Guest oa_exile
...........who has a son who interpreted a message from Skippy the bush kangaroo (for the older fans)

"Tut , tut , tut "

"what's that skip ? , The guy from Hillstones has fallen down a mine shaft and .............."

180px-Skippy-dvd.jpg

I bet when the council sold the ground to them, they didn't do the same as with us....a 10yr covenent that football/leisure and sporting activities had to exist on the land. I wonder how many flats would fit onto Chaddy FC's ground? :mmm:

Does it not say that Hillstone took over an existing lease on the Broadway ground which is owned by the council?

Does it not say that Hillstone took over an existing lease on the Broadway ground which is owned by the council?

Ah, I see. So it's just the lease they have hold of. Not the ground itself. Fair enough. Something smells bad about it all though, whatever it is.

Hare-brained scheme anyway. There isn't room for a 'top non-league club' in the Oldham area. Not least because Latics have been a mere stone's throw from non-league status at certain points over the last decade. (I dread to think what might have happened had we been relegated in 1999...)

After the shrinkage of our stature as a club since the mid-1990s, Latics are barely bigger than some of the top non-league clubs anyway. A couple of recently non-league clubs have already left us behind (albeit they lost and regained league status fairly quickly.)

Would agree with your second sentence.

Other than that it's the normal Latics are crap spoutings. Which non-league clubs have "left us behind" and in what respects?

And by non-league I, and most others, would assume that you don't include Doncaster - who are doing well (although they don't own their ground) and are in the same division as ourselves.

Does anybody have an idea what sort of crowds Chaddy get, and what they were getting a season or two ago before they tried to go big time (or a bit bigger time, I don't know so much about it)?

Yes LL

Top crowd this season is 121. Lowest is 42.

The game v Oldham Town attracted 46. Which I think may have something to do with them withdrawing.

'Bout the same as Oldham Towns

http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/nwc2att.htm

Would agree with your second sentence.

Other than that it's the normal Latics are crap spoutings. Which non-league clubs have "left us behind" and in what respects?

And by non-league I, and most others, would assume that you don't include Doncaster - who are doing well (although they don't own their ground) and are in the same division as ourselves.

I do include Doncaster. And Carlisle. Both look more likely to leave this division behind than we do, whatever happens this season. Yeovil are now our equals, too.

Meanwhile it's only luck that sees Latics own BP again. Not that long ago the club had to sell it.

And isn't our problem that Latics have indeed been crap for too long now?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Guest M_OAFC
Does anybody have an idea what sort of crowds Chaddy get, and what they were getting a season or two ago before they tried to go big time (or a bit bigger time, I don't know so much about it)?

Crowds didn't change at all when Hillstone took over. Around the 70/80 mark is the norm as it has been for as long as I can remember.

I do include Doncaster. And Carlisle. Both look more likely to leave this division behind than we do, whatever happens this season. Yeovil are now our equals, too.

Meanwhile it's only luck that sees Latics own BP again. Not that long ago the club had to sell it.

And isn't our problem that Latics have indeed been crap for too long now?

So I suppose you can argue that Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool were all non-league at one time too?

You do argue on shifting sand don't you? The fact is Latics do own BP, Doncaster don't own the Keepmoat yet you say they have left us behind. of thye three you mention only Yeovil are truly non-league in that the other two bounced back with a solid league tradition and infrastructure. And how have Yeovil "left us behind"?