Good job we didn't make the playoffs...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..cos we wouldn't have been able to make all these cracking signings ahead of our rivals...

Brilliant!

Im still not sure Shez will be here??? I maybe wrong, just have a feeling other people are pulling the strings at the moment.

Still think people should get off Thompson's back. he has been injured for most of last season, judge him after 20+ games

..cos we wouldn't have been able to make all these cracking signings ahead of our rivals...

Couldn't wait to get that one in could you. In fact, you were in such a rush, you couldn't even be bothered to wait until the play offs had actually finished. Which would have made your point kinda worthwhile, in a childish/bored/nowt-to-do kinda way.

And it's notable that not many other clubs have made signings either. Which means lotsa players are on holiday or whatever, and it's pretty difficult to motivate a player enough to sign a contract on a beach in Marbella.

But hey, get your snipes in early, eh?

Guest oa_exile

Do you think it's something to do with players going on holiday and contracts not usually ready for re-newing until June ? ....

....... or I am just trying to be to positive ?

Do you think it's something to do with players going on holiday and contracts not usually ready for re-newing until June ? ....

....... or I am just trying to be to positive ?

You could be onto something here exile.

Anyway, I think the club have made positive moves. Our young stars have signed longer deals tying them down to us and the other players that we need to keep that haven't re-signed have contracts on the table for them. Plus, the likes of Kalalalalala et al have been made available for release. Club can't do much more than that IMO.

Brilliant!

Im still not sure Shez will be here??? I maybe wrong, just have a feeling other people are pulling the strings at the moment.

Still think people should get off Thompson's back. he has been injured for most of last season, judge him after 20+ games

We will be bottom of the league by then!!

Oh for gods sake - this thread is laughable!

Lets play - how many transfers have been made so far in the entire division - I can bloody count them on one hand... transfers arent done by simply ringing someone up and them signing the day after the end of the season... its about weeks of negotiation, which we have now been doing for the last two weeks - and has been stated in the press and on the fishal...

The club has been enquiring after numerous targets...and will make a balanced judgement on who to sign - and arent just charging after the dregs who havent been tapped up by every club in the division after the playoffs...

Have you alos considered that some of Doncaster or Leeds players might be our targets??? e.g. Mr Constantine... acan t move for players whose clubs are still palying...

... and as Frankly states, its about being able to evaluate your squad, and resign players you need, and identify your targets appropriate for the division you are in... which is exactly what we have been doing...

Not being in the play-offs simply means the board / Shez have been able to sit down, plan and allocate budgets earlier than last year.

Players may still be involved in the play-offs, on holiday, mullingover offers.

However we have already seen activity in the transfer markets as Macca as gone, JP told can go, Crossley, Smalley and others re-signed ......... is this not activity ??????????????????

So why was it used as an excuse last year?

You would have to be offering top money to sign players so early in the close season. Contracts usually finish in June and players will hold for the best deal and who can blame them!!

I would be surprised if we were to sign Fleming from Gretna so early, unless its a deal he can't refuse.

Until confirmed by the O.S I would take all rumours for what they are...just rumours!!

So why was it used as an excuse last year?

You shouldn't believe everything you read in the Papers Guernica.

Perhaps listen to the words of Simon Corney on LaticsWorld a few weeks ago where he stated that since they already knew which Division they would be playing in, targets were already identified and talks were ongoing with 6 or 7 players.

In other words, we are far in advance of the position last Season but like a Dutch Auction, you were having to post this perhaps sooner than planned in case Latics beat you to the punch with a signing or two.

Still, it's good that you livened things up on a quiet Monday morning and nice to see the return of the feral cat. Creeps along; craps on your doorstep and then buggers off while others argue over the mess.

See you in a few weeks when you have thought of some other jibe such as "Shez's 2-fingered salute" or "Shez - We have given up on the Season" - neither of which were true at the time but hey, let's not let facts get in the way of a good story eh? :)

signings wont happen overnight as stated they take weeks of negotiations with agents and other clubs.. We could have offered Spicer, O'Connor, and lets say Livermore a contract but until agents have explored every avenue for them we will not see anyone arriving. Most signings take place 1st week in July when contracts expire, players can sign pre-contracts but its highly unlikely knowing that they maybe able to get more money if they hang fire..

I'd love to read some of your published work Guernica, besides the obvious work of genius, and I am sure they are a barrel of laughs..

Care to point any of them out, so we can sit and snipe from the sidelines.

It is interesting to note who has been signed already, so I looked at the BBC website.

Seems many of them are pre contrct and don't start till 1st July.

I don't think you'l believe it, but we really did nearly sign Flamini, the lure of Italy just was a little bit too much for us to compete with.

PS, I am willing to bet the Gretna keeper waits a little while yet.

PPS Can't see a realistc one there.

19 May 2008

Michael Brough [Forest Green - Torquay] Free.

Marvin Morgan [Woking - Aldershot] Undisclosed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 May 2008

Steve Hindmarch [Gretna - Shrewsbury] Free

Paul Murray [unattached - Shrewsbury]

Lee Phillips [Torquay - Rushden] Undisclosed

Anthony Thomas [barnet - Stevenage] Free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 May 2008

Chris Blackburn [swindon - Aldershot] Free

Daryl Clare [burton - Rushden] Free

Paul Connolly [Plymouth - Derby] Free

Mark Greaves [burton - York] Free

Michael Ingham [Hereford - York] Free

14 May 2008

Dean Howell [Rushden - Aldershot] Free

Steve Thompson [Middlesbrough - Port Vale] Free

13 May 2008

*Eddie Anaclet [Oxford - Stevenage] Free

Jody Banim [Droylsden - Burton] Free

Michael Carr [Northwich - Morecambe] Free

Radek Cerny [slavia Prague - QPR] Free

Mark Haines [Northampton - Grays] Free

Matt Heath [Leeds - Colchester] Free

*Peter Ramage [Newcastle - QPR] Free

12 May 2008

Jose Bosingwa [Porto - Chelsea] £16.2m. Just think, why have we wasted money on something called Oldham Arena

9 May 2008

*Tom Brighton [Millwall - St Mirren] Free

8 May 2008

Stuart Elliott [York - Grays] Free

Ishmael Welsh [Yeovil - Grays] Free

Harry Worley [Chelsea - Leicester] Free

7 May 2008

*Danny Schofield [Huddersfield - Yeovil] Free

6 May 2008

*Michael Johnson [Derby - Notts County] Free

Manny Williams [Maidenhead - Woking] Free

Ryan Williams [Aldershot - Weymouth] Free

5 May 2008

*Mathieu Flamini [Arsenal - AC Milan] Free

*Robert Page [Huddersfield - Chesterfield] Free