BREAKING NEWS ;O)

Read the second paragraph again. "agreed to take part in the publicity stunt." Er no they didn't. Hardy goes on to say: 'There were discussions with a TV company who have done work for Channel 4, but in the end it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League.'

So what is being said is that a tv company approached the club about the possibility of making a documentary. the club looked at the proposal and decided against the idea on the basis it would be inappropriate.

EVEN IF IT IS TRUE, it does not refer to any form of competitive match situation and no other details are given.

Also all the talk on this thread about points deductions etc are just rubbish. The story was talking about the possibility of trying this out in a pre-season as part of the documentary.

The club turned it down end of.

Pardon the expression, but what a load of bollox.

Cheers,

harry

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know plenty of women who can take the hardest of takles...

It so wrong that people can get away with this stuff..

if i was a sexist, im sure i could find a joke in there somewhere

but damn it, im better than that :wink:

Edited by palmer1

Then maybe we should still not have women sat in the members areas at cricket grounds...

Maybe women shouldnt expect to earn as much as men..

And they can f**k off if they think they are going to vote!

All of which got changed by petitioning, hard work and getting the rules changed. I have absolutely nothing againt women playing proffesional sport with men. I was accused of being on a high horse earlier in this thread, now I feel this is true of you.

Maybe you have found your calling seeing you care so much? Seriously. Ranting to us wont do much...

The thing is, if women were allowed into the men's game, it would spell the death of women's football.

There would be no reason, if women could play in the men's league, why men couldn't then go play in the women's league. The result would be that, for the handful of women who'd make it at the top levels of football, there'd be a shedload who would be pushed out of regular football by players deemed spectacularly average in the context of the men's game...

On the subject of Latics almost signing this Brazilian...I'm all for innovation and it would be interesting, but as BigFin says, it's against the rules. All those clamouring for fairness and gender equality have a valid and fair enough point...but if we got a fine or any sort of sanction then it would be extremely irresponsible from the owner. We don't make the rules, and we have to stick to them. Just because it's a friendly doesn't mean you can do what you want...

Edited by jsslatic

I'm not saying this is morally right but......

I don't think men and women will play football together, professionally, in the foreseable future. I dont harbour sexist views, however, I know that if say, sean gregan went through a female player, the outcome would be generally alot worse than if he chopped a man down. It doesnt work. The whole concept is crap.

However, publicity should be 50x more regarding female football, as the matches are just as entertaining. I have football training with a former Doncaster Belle, and shes awesome, but noones heard of her. Start telivising female matches and gradually, people will start to see that the standard is quite alot higher than they thought.

When you think taht Chris Taylor and Cristiano Ronaldo can't stay on their feet for more than a few seconds at a time

That's got nothing to do with physical presence and everything to do with gaining an advantage through conning the ref, or just plain namby pamby football. In fact having said that, I don't think there's been a better time for women to join the Professional set up, the physical game is not what it used to be...

And super publicity-conscious Corney, whose team are wearing pink shirts in a League match against Leeds United to promote a breast cancer charity, was hoping Marta's match would help to put Oldham Athletic on the worldwide football map - such would be the interest.

However with Marta ready to fly over at a moment's notice from her previous club side Umea in Sweden, Oldham had a change of mind. Chief executive Alan Hardy, a highly experienced football official, and manager John Sheridan were the leading voices in opposition..

Sorry Oldham, no girls allowed

An astonishing plan to field the best woman footballer in the world was hatched by League One side Oldham, who intended to disguise her gender from their own players as well as the opposition.

Brazilian striker Marta, voted FIFA's top female player three years in succession, agreed to take part in the publicity stunt that was the brainchild of Oldham managing director Simon Corney and a TV production company, who wanted to make a documentary about whether a woman could hold her own in the men's pro game

Sorry Oldham, no girls allowed

An astonishing plan to field the best woman footballer in the world was hatched by League One side Oldham, who intended to disguise her gender from their own players as well as the opposition.

Brazilian striker Marta, voted FIFA's top female player three years in succession, agreed to take part in the publicity stunt that was the brainchild of Oldham managing director Simon Corney and a TV production company, who wanted to make a documentary about whether a woman could hold her own in the men's pro game

is this a joke? cus i very much hope so or i will be soo embarrased of latics

I've watched a bit of the birds football and it isn't up front where they struggle (guffaw), it's at the back.

It's all a bit stupid, if you ask me, even 'though she does look in better shape than most of our squad. :grin: What I do find shocking, is the quote above. Have we gone back to the 1970's? :wink:

Does anybody else think she looks like that Ronaldhino bloke? Could be him disguised as a woman, in which case, the whole thing could have been rendered a nonsense and we'd have been fielding the best player in the World. :lol:

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron Simon Corney said: “We were approached by a television company wanting to make a documentary about the gap between the men’s and women’s game.

“It was suggested that Marta might join us to take part in a training session and maybe a private practice match, and that would have been the extent of the involvement.

“To suggest that she would be brought in at the last minute and disguised to look like a male so that she could play in a pre-season game is nonsensical.”

400px-Yorkie_bar.JPG

In all seriousness though, why is it that Boys and Girls cannot play on the same teams after a certain age? And its not because of sexism.

Womens football is quite skilful, but it lacks the pace and strength of mens. I honestly think Latics would beat England Ladies, due to the fact that strength and fitness would be superior and tell in the end, I dont think the ladies team could keep up with the tempo. We would probably lose a skills competition, but not a football match.

And if this idea was actually serious, then someone needs to sit Mr Corny down and have a few words.

400px-Yorkie_bar.JPG

In all seriousness though, why is it that Boys and Girls cannot play on the same teams after a certain age? And its not because of sexism.

Womens football is quite skilful, but it lacks the pace and strength of mens. I honestly think Latics would beat England Ladies, due to the fact that strength and fitness would be superior and tell in the end, I dont think the ladies team could keep up with the tempo. We would probably lose a skills competition, but not a football match.

And if this idea was actually serious, then someone needs to sit Mr Corny down and have a few words.

I would suggest that if Girls where allowed to continue to play with the boys then this pace strength and fitness would not vary all that much.

Siena and Venus Williams have far superior strength and fitness than a lot of their male counterparts. I find it even more amusing that some people think the womens game would suffer if it went to five sets :lol:

Edited by oafc0000

400px-Yorkie_bar.JPG

It will only improve over time, but right now womens football is just shocking. Goalies can't catch or throw. Defenders can't head the ball. Forwards can't see beyond the most simple passes. Midfielders don't read interceptions.

It's a shambles. But I'd have no objections to them trying to play at the same level/in the same competition.