Standing In Rochdale Road End

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... :shock:X Why did that reply not shock me.

Because it was obvious. That fact is there has been standing at football longer than there has been sitting and if people want to stand they will. When you go to a concert it says on most tickets that if you are in a seated area you should not persistently stand but we all know people will stand and also dance (in some cases badly). If we constantly nag at people about sitting then we end up with grounds up and down the country with stewards throwing people out for nothing such Colchester away and many Latics fans were angry at how one of our fellow fans was treated in that case. Standing is just a fact of life at football.

Oh and the FA seem to think we are doing a good job of looking after famailies at our games

Chron

Edited by OAFC_ULTRA

All these arguement about don't sit here because they stand etc simply wasting your time ........ there is NO standing at BP!!! Your also saying to fans who want to choose SIT behind the goal, if you can't see because someone stands in front of you ... tough!! Nice attitude towards your fellow fan.

It's a non-starter. If someone behind you can't see because your stood up, then sit down .... it's that simple. This should be the rule wherever in the ground this may be.

Again arguements about it's a better atmosphere when stood up ..... RUBBISH!!!!! A lot who stand up in the Rocky spend most of ther game watching / goading the away fans and singing anti-this, anti-that songs and very few to get behind the team. Plenty of matches we are force to sit down (especially away) and the atmosphere is great.

I now sit it the main stand as it's all getting rather pathetic ....... the team have lost one of the most vocal supporters in me at BP, especially because of the increasing amount who simply have no iterest in watching the team.

Spot on. It beggars belief that people will not accept the facts. The rules were introduced to reduce the risk of serious injury and death to spectators. All accept that at the (all too rare at Latics) exciting moments, people temporarily stand. But if people insist on standing all the time then they risk being thrown out, the stewards and club have no choice.

Because it was obvious. That fact is there has been standing at football longer than there has been sitting and if people want to stand they will. When you go to a concert it says on most tickets that if you are in a seated area you should not persistently stand but we all know people will stand and also dance (in some cases badly). If we constantly nag at people about sitting then we end up with grounds up and down the country with stewards throwing people out for nothing such Colchester away and many Latics fans were angry at how one of our fellow fans was treated in that case. Standing is just a fact of life at football.

Oh and the FA seem to think we are doing a good job of looking after famailies at our games

Chron

.....and if you don't obey the ground regulations, sooner or later the stand will have further restrictions placed upon it and eventually shut.

Don't believe me?

Google Notts County stories from the last three weeks - they have had one of their stands shut for persistent standing by fans.

Eventually the authorities will get sick to the back teeth of the extra policing of persistent law breakers (don't kid yourselves - that is what all persistent standers are) and apply for either further restrictions or ultimately the withdrawal of the safety certificate for home fans in the RRE.

It'll happen sooner or later.

Derek.

I do have sympathy for some people on this issue..particularly those less able-bodied spectators who get stuck behind a group of fans who stand persistently, but come on mate - today was always going to be one of those games where there would be plenty standing and there were plenty of places you could have sat where there was no fans/no standing.

the match against tranmere was my 1st time at boundary park, it wasnt just to see joe but to get back into the football buzz at the weekends, just so happened to be a good fixture to go to for my 1st, although the football was not far from dismal it wont stop me from dragging the missus, who is a lifelong latic, to every home game, saturdays only, i work away during the week, i wanted to go in the rre but the missus said that was for the away fans, but will be in there for when p'boro come to town, for me it brought back a buzz , i understand that there were alot there just to see the big man back but if he can do what he says he wants do then good luck to him, auto promotion is just out of reach now on gd but 3rd would be acceptable.......if only.......im all for safe standing areas, it creates more of an atmosphere, and you can move around to stop one from becoming cold, jesus h christ i went from sweating profusely in the grey mare to becoming a stiff part way through the 2nd half lol, im planning for home and away next season, the money that would have gone into the eurozone will now be going on football :-) happy days ;-)

All these arguement about don't sit here because they stand etc simply wasting your time ........ there is NO standing at BP!!! Your also saying to fans who want to choose SIT behind the goal, if you can't see because someone stands in front of you ... tough!! Nice attitude towards your fellow fan.

OK then why not have a gentlemans agreement that people can sit behind the goal and further back people can stand...it doesnt all have to be black and white it can easily be worked so everyone is happy. Its funny that those who stand seem to want to find a solution to the problem that suits both parties but those who sit do not want to listen to any compromise.

It's a non-starter. If someone behind you can't see because your stood up, then sit down .... it's that simple. This should be the rule wherever in the ground this may be.

Again arguements about it's a better atmosphere when stood up ..... RUBBISH!!!!! A lot who stand up in the Rocky spend most of ther game watching / goading the away fans and singing anti-this, anti-that songs and very few to get behind the team. Plenty of matches we are force to sit down (especially away) and the atmosphere is great.

This is RUBBISH...the atmosphere is better when people stand up and sing and get behind the team! Who are you trying to kid mate? And stop tarring people who stand up with the same brush. Of course you are always going to get idiots and young people taunting the away fans, some people dont grow up and there are youngsters who want to look big and hard in front of their mates. Its human nature its not going to change. There are many football fans who want to stand up and get behind OUR team

I now sit it the main stand as it's all getting rather pathetic ....... the team have lost one of the most vocal supporters in me at BP, especially because of the increasing amount who simply have no iterest in watching the team.

Im the other way round mate, i cant be arsed giving my vocal support to the team at home games now because of all the negative idiots who seem to just come to have a moan at the team, the fans, the manager etc, i just cant be arsed trying anymore

For the record I would prefer to stand but have been sat down all season because i dont want to block the view of those behind. However I have occaisionally stood up at moments of excitement and to get behind the lads but after 10 Seconds its f'ing "SIT DOWN!!!" I mean come on its the football surely i dont have to be glued to my seat for 90 minutes.

.....and if you don't obey the ground regulations, sooner or later the stand will have further restrictions placed upon it and eventually shut.

Don't believe me?

Google Notts County stories from the last three weeks - they have had one of their stands shut for persistent standing by fans.

Eventually the authorities will get sick to the back teeth of the extra policing of persistent law breakers (don't kid yourselves - that is what all persistent standers are) and apply for either further restrictions or ultimately the withdrawal of the safety certificate for home fans in the RRE.

It'll happen sooner or later.

Derek.

Obey the ground regulations, treat the place like the local multiplex, and watch a day out at the football become something you stop enjoying...and it dies a natural death...

I am being serious... What got me wanting to go to the football is slowly being taken away.... I do question when it just becomes a product, like a day out at the cinema, will people still fork out hefty fees to watch it... I am doubtful... I certainly wouldn't pay £20 to watch a crappy budget B film at the local multiplex....

Edited by oafc0000

I am being serious... What got me wanting to go to the football is slowly being taken away.... I

Exactly. I have great memories of going to BP and standing on the terraces singing, shouting and in the process having a great time, yet the health and safety/pc brigade of England are trying to take this away. One thing I was wondering is of all these people on here saying its an all seater stadium and there is no standing, do you stand up at half time to talk to your mates about the game? I do hope not, persistent standing is an offence!!!

Obey the ground regulations, treat the place like the local multiplex, and watch a day out at the football become something you stop enjoying...and it dies a natural death...

I am being serious... What got me wanting to go to the football is slowly being taken away.... I do question when it just becomes a product, like a day out at the cinema, will people still fork out hefty fees to watch it... I am doubtful... I certainly wouldn't pay £20 to watch a crappy budget B film at the local multiplex....

I couldnt agree more, I am more inclined to put up with the rubbish football if i still enjoy the day out. However going to BP seems more out of habit now rather than enjoyment. I think next season i will be passing on a season ticket and pick and choose my home games and try and get to more aways with my mates.

Exactly. I have great memories of going to BP and standing on the terraces singing, shouting and in the process having a great time, yet the health and safety/pc brigade of England are trying to take this away. One thing I was wondering is of all these people on here saying its an all seater stadium and there is no standing, do you stand up at half time to talk to your mates about the game? I do hope not, persistent standing is an offence!!!

A big problem is that watching 11 guys kick around a bag of air for 90 mins really is not all that great without all the "other" stuff floating around...

The shouting, the swearing, the passion, the rivalry. the hatred, the ill feeling.... Take it out and what do you have... 11 men kicking a bag of air around and your pocket £20 lighter for a sub standard entertainment product that lasts only 90 mins...

I think there are people around who the football is enough alone and good luck to those people. I reckon the majority wouldn't be interested in turning up at a football match week in week out without some of the things I mention above. its not THAT great of a sport....

Some of you might say we are only talking about standing...but where not are we...some people want it a total family environment where we all sit their like nice respectful people... Sounds nice dosent it... You can do that at the tennis... but people dont pay £20 for tennis week in week out...

I think the people who are so against standing also need to realise that however much they want their perfect world will never exist, whether they like it or not there will always be people at football matches who will persistantly stand as they do not want to sit down. People on here have pointed out that a stand might get shut down, well maybe so, it does not seem to have the desired effect of getting everyone to sit down.

Surely then with this in mind it would be better to come up with a solution which would benefit everyone?

forty one clubs have been recognised as decent and safe, we are one of them. those who persist in painting us as millwallesque, probably moan at everything they can, ever.

my conclusion to this is that, judging by what ive seen at other grounds this season, the only way the club will be punished is if these victor meldrew types keep harping on about nothing for so long, that it makes it into a more public domain, and the authorities are forced to act.

if you are persistently standing up in front of a fan who cant stand, or a small fan who cant see, then you are knob. but likewise if you deliberatley position your small child, or wheelchair using fan, behind a section notorious for standing, then you are also a knob.

theres a fantastic use of the 'blind eye' going on at the moment, and those who are sticklers for rules are doing their best to ruin it.

now, hillsborough. this disaster was not caused by a terrace. it was caused by two things. firstly there were more fans attempting to enter a stand than had been allocated for. secondly the police opened an exit gate to let them in. now imagine if there were seats in this stand, would the onrushing mass of bodies suddenly start filing neatly into them? no, they would have been falling over them and the situation could quite easily have been worse. go and tell the families of the dead that seats would have saved their loved ones lives, dare you to..

Its funny prozac you talk about how its the law ALL SEATER stadiums etc. Then you go on to say in the same post how you will take the law into your own hands if someone is standing up in front of you and your son. Surely you cant have it both ways?

haha really great point and i think its interesting that prozac hasnt responded to this comment

• 3 years later...

this isn't a dig at anyone but I think the saddest thing about re-reading this thread is reading posts from fans who don't go anymore

Couldn't agree more very sad. People make their choices and thats fair enough, I cant to many away games any more but will still do all the homes. People grow up and get other priorities, spending good money at Latics has to take it's place at the back of the queue.

Edited by welshgaz

this isn't a dig at anyone but I think the saddest thing about re-reading this thread is reading posts from fans who don't go anymore

What happened to the spiky haired guy at front of rre? Shorts and t shirt whatever the weather

Not seen him this season

Was always very positive and supportive