Will the new ground location stop you going?

singe

Is Failsworth going to affect you Matchdays?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Makes no difference I am hardcore
    • It's too far, less/no games for me
    • It's nearer/easier!
    • I travel a long way anyway
    • N/A I am an exile and don't go tomany games to make a difference

It will make a nice change for me also, been travelling up there, so I agree, now it's other people's turn.

Now I get to take a short stroll (which will probably become a drunken stagger) from my house. No more driving to games. No more getting my car broken into on the official car park!

I am prob different from most of you, I am a Manc (born at St Mary's, always lived in Failsworth), but also an Oldham fan. Not an Oldham fan cause of an affinity to the town, Oldham just happen to be my team, a choice as a kid (My family are Man U and Dirty City, I'm the only one who has been saved). So my choice was not an easy or popular one! Been a season ticket holder 12-ish years.

I do consider Failsworth to be Manchester, but I understand that many of you wont like this. I have an 0161 phone number and an M35 post code, however, I pay my council tax to OMBC, so who knows?

In fact on that subject, I had an issue with refuse collection once around two years ago (won't bore you any more than that) and called OMBC, their initial comment was why am I calling them, I should be calling Manchester! I pointed out that in my opinion they were right, but they were happy to take my council tax payments. After consulting a colleague the lady helped me out.

Edited by jetman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if anyone says no there an absolute idiot, i have traveled from failsworth for 10years now so whats the diff in me coming up there from them coming down here..... if i can travel so can other people, c*** excuse ifs thats what they come up with

If everyone else who currently goes lived very close to BP, your argument would make some sense. As it is it's just stupid.

what are the pubs like in Failsworth?

Erm...anything further away than the pole is prob too far for pre match. The pole is rough. There is a Last Orders, wouldn't be too bad. Then they all seem to be closed down on Oldham Road until you get to the Lamb...which is a dive. The Mare and Foal, just of Oldham Road is ok. But they all are dirty red pubs mostly.

Erm...anything further away than the pole is prob too far for pre match. The pole is rough. There is a Last Orders, wouldn't be too bad. Then they all seem to be closed down on Oldham Road until you get to the Lamb...which is a dive. The Mare and Foal, just of Oldham Road is ok. But they all are dirty red pubs mostly.

Its worth pointing out that their were no pubs around the reebok stadium before it was built in fact their was nothing whatsoever and before you new it shops pubs gymnasiums a hotel a cinema, resteraunts all went up they also like us moved to the edge of town so I wouldn't worry about pre match pints just yet I mean surely a football club would mean booming trade every other saturday which could be enough to keep most pubs going all year.

After driving other people to games so they can have a drink, this may well be my opportunity to say "No, I'm going to walk up the road, hop on the tram at Whitefield and get off at New Boundary Park".

Obviously this will be limited to my birthday and special occasions :grin:

This will probably cause people to throw things at me, but if a new ground being in this location would stop you from going to the same number of games at BP then you never really had blue blood in the first place.

If everyone else who currently goes lived very close to BP, your argument would make some sense. As it is it's just stupid.

Miaow! I've already started the campaign to restore the 24 route to go over into Dale. Maybe if it only stops outside your house and the folks place, they won't even notice...

Miaow! I've already started the campaign to restore the 24 route to go over into Dale. Maybe if it only stops outside your house and the folks place, they won't even notice...

It still does, at least until 7ish. I wasn't thinking of myself as much as those who come from further afield, and who rely on public transport. Getting to the new ground should be easy enough.

I fear that getting away may be another matter though. At BP, the crowd disperses in all directions. The same won't be as true at Failsworth. Buses and trams will be overloaded, and traffic will cause more problems than at present. I suppose it's an excuse to stop for a drink or 3 before leaving. :)

Like i've said in another thread, it's a fair old walk for me compared to the 10 mins it takes now, but given they will be building a new metro station at Freehhold and a choice of catching the bus from either Manchester Road or Broadway it wouldn't put me off going.

Now then let me see!, night match you say 7-45 kick off against some obscure London club, pourng rain, february, cold, what do you think Lyn are we going?.Instant reply from her who must be obeyed, Has the pope got a balcony?. I'll pick you up from work at 5 bells, A684 to Bedale, leeming bar, A1- M62 If anything is going to put you off it's the nightmare on elm street around Leeds. Off at A627 M, then ever onward, arrive the Oldham mini dome approx 7-15. easy eh !! And there are some fans who live in or around Oldham say they wont go to the new ground, your having a giggle right!!!!!!! Just one thing though can I change our name from 100 to 103 miles away

Now then let me see!, night match you say 7-45 kick off against some obscure London club, pourng rain, february, cold, what do you think Lyn are we going?.Instant reply from her who must be obeyed, Has the pope got a balcony?. I'll pick you up from work at 5 bells, A684 to Bedale, leeming bar, A1- M62 If anything is going to put you off it's the nightmare on elm street around Leeds. Off at A627 M, then ever onward, arrive the Oldham mini dome approx 7-15. easy eh !! And there are some fans who live in or around Oldham say they wont go to the new ground, your having a giggle right!!!!!!! Just one thing though can I change our name from 100 to 103 miles away

then why don't you give us all a lift then??????...its only an extra "3miles" on your route you have quoted........Some of us don't drive so the extra 3 miles down broadway is going to be a pain in the arse...and yes it will be a "commitment" to do it on a cold winters night in the rain as we will already be denched before we get there, especially if the stadium is going to be set back off the main road where the current Lancaster club house is.

its a good job i aleady own waterpoofs and walk 6 miles a day to and from work already as transport is crap and always over-crowded and over priced. So "yes" after a bloody hard days work I would have to consider on a wet winters night if seeing an "obscure London club" is gonna be worth the risk of hyper-bloody therma.

Good transport links need to be sorted at the same time as the build....when is the metro link going to arrive?, better bus services all round and trains would be helpful too (although I think the plan is the railway to Oldham will end once the metolink is in place).

Oh yes indeedie...I am having a giggle right now about it...somone pick me off the floor.....tut...never pull apart another latics fans commitment - its so wrong...

In fact on that subject, I had an issue with refuse collection once around two years ago (won't bore you any more than that) and called OMBC, their initial comment was why am I calling them, I should be calling Manchester! I pointed out that in my opinion they were right, but they were happy to take my council tax payments. After consulting a colleague the lady helped me out.

So now we are judging where people live off how thick some bint is at council offices :) I am surprised half that lot can find there way home let alone advise you on who should be sorting your bins out :)

then why don't you give us all a lift then??????...its only an extra "3miles" on your route you have quoted........Some of us don't drive so the extra 3 miles down broadway is going to be a pain in the arse...and yes it will be a "commitment" to do it on a cold winters night in the rain as we will already be denched before we get there, especially if the stadium is going to be set back off the main road where the current Lancaster club house is.

its a good job i aleady own waterpoofs and walk 6 miles a day to and from work already as transport is crap and always over-crowded and over priced. So "yes" after a bloody hard days work I would have to consider on a wet winters night if seeing an "obscure London club" is gonna be worth the risk of hyper-bloody therma.

Good transport links need to be sorted at the same time as the build....when is the metro link going to arrive?, better bus services all round and trains would be helpful too (although I think the plan is the railway to Oldham will end once the metolink is in place).

Oh yes indeedie...I am having a giggle right now about it...somone pick me off the floor.....tut...never pull apart another latics fans commitment - its so wrong...

I'm sure if you're much of a woman you will be able to use some of your charm to scav a lift off some one.

I'm sure if you're much of a woman you will be able to use some of your charm to scav a lift off some one.

Oh I'll get there work permitting...using my womanly charms though...could lose us more latics fans....lol...

3 miles further down the road on foot is a 45 min walk...24 bus roughly a 30 min journey...it's not going to be pretty but I'll get there..although I would prefer a stadium with roof, and sheltered from the Old elements...not too much to ask me thinks.

The development is a must, the location is great....we need this to survive ladies and gentleman....

We just need a good transport infra-structure to cope, Bloody hell - I have a bicycle I can pedal there!!! (bike parking permitting)..

Although, not advisable to drink and bike...hmm..may have to re-think that one..hic....

it might help with away followings too, I seem to recall Millwall fans on another website fans complaining that BP is a difficult ground to get to

Tommy, as soon as I read that comment, I thought of how sinister GMP could be. Play Millwall midweek (@ the new ground) and then they could walk them all the way down Oldham Road into Manchester and to Piccadilly Station for the train back to London. Ideal if they have just lost 1-0 to a goal in the 1st minute of the match and its pouring down on a cold Tuesday night!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

NO! Just move 3 miles closer to the new ground! Problem solved.

So now we are judging where people live off how thick some bint is at council offices :) I am surprised half that lot can find there way home let alone advise you on who should be sorting your bins out :)

Haha, no I wasn't judging anyone or anything, just an anecdote.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If anything, on a personal selfish note, its closer to where I live now and it gives me one less reason to make a trip towards Oldham town centre :wink:

Couldnt get any closer for me. More or less live facing the lancaster club. I also only ever travel to Oldham to watch football. Love the club but hate the town.

Couldnt get any closer for me. More or less live facing the lancaster club. I also only ever travel to Oldham to watch football. Love the club but hate the town.

You will be a valuable soldier when the adjacent dissenting voices start.... do you have a baseball bat?

:wink:

While time for another poll.

Not sure why I am always the first.. :huh:

Is the new stadium location going to affect your matchday experience?

EDIT Not sure why my poll is not working?

might be something to do with being a geek,poll for this poll for that,christ who gives a fook anyway.

might be something to do with being a geek,poll for this poll for that,christ who gives a fook anyway.

Lighten up Paul, its a bit of fun. Posting messages on internet message boards is not that geeky surel :D y......

Obviosuly people do care, they voted and even posted threads about it..... :grin:

Edited by singe

I really can't understand anyone who says this would stop them going. I'm a season ticket holder from Lincoln and every game is an away game for me. Get real!!!!

Me too Dave. Like all the exiles who travel miles for games now, I can't understand how some from the borough can say it is too far.

Me too Dave. Like all the exiles who travel miles for games now, I can't understand how some from the borough can say it is too far.

It really makes no difference to me at all - it'll be a great move for the club, a state of the art stadium with far better facilities; and the prospect of through the week income too.

can't really understand the uproar from some over 3 miles........

Tricky, i live in Greenfield, have no car and if i don't have a job then its gonna be costly to get to the stadium AND pay to watch the game, especially since the price will no doubt be up by then. I can't get a lift from a mate because all my mates support utd, i started watchin Latics with a guy i worked with about 4 years ago so i pretty much go to matches on my todd (makes you cry on the inside dosn't it). Of course all that is speculation because its going to be two to three years. By then could have car, job and exposable income in which case i'd be at every match, ahhh pointless speculation