World Cup Thread

Of course it's not their fault. I haven't seen either slacking on the pitch which is all you can ask of a player.

However, I think Heskey has a certain type of game he is good for, a more European game (which the USA seem to fit for some reason). When their players can pass a ball we might as well be playing against a spiders web. He'll win the ball, we'll press it, they'll pass round us.

Anything else to offer us? No. Slow, can't shoot, what more is there?

Crouch can shoot at least, But I'm not sure he would have suited this game too much.

As for Slovenia. Heskey. First name on the teamsheet. It suits him into the ground.

Yep, Defoe should have started today or at the very least come on at half time when it was obvious it wasn't working. But people are claiming how atrocious Heskey was when it just isn't the case, he was average, he did what he could with the poor (being generous there) service he got and he did everyting he could to put the opposition under pressure, he's hardly to blame for that performance, look at the midfeild, look at the manager, look at the defence pumping long balls. You want someone to blame, it isn't Heskey and it rarely is to be honest. Our 'ball players' (I use this term very very loosely) seem incapable of playing simple passes or even looking for simple passes. Watch Argentina, how many long balls do they play, how many passes do they make that you or I could make? They rely on simple football and wait for the openings as the gaps will inevitably appear as they move the opposition around. Add to that a few players that can get something from nothing and they are a class apart from us. Our team, 3 passes along the back, maybe it gets into a midfielder sitting deep, 'Oh is that Heskey/Crouch I see in the distance, maybe he can win a header for us' *punt*. We are not a world class team and we prove it time and again when we fail to keep possession against supposedly inferior opposition. We're trying to play a Premiership style of play in games where you need to keep possession, it's vital. The worst offender, Frank Lampard. It's fine hitting shot after shot for Chelsea from 30 yards when you know the opposition will give it you back and you have the efficiency of Ballack and industry of Essien alongside you, but in international football you can't afford to give the ball away cheaply, something we truly are world class at.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's idiotic. If they pull their fingers out and Capello drops the players that need to be dropped, i'm right behind them, but i'm not holding my breathe.

I agree. I'm right behind them if he drops a few of the untouchables. And I'd love to see us win with the likes of Rooney, Lampard et al. on the touchlines with their subs bibs on.

I agree. I'm right behind them if he drops a few of the untouchables. And I'd love to see us win with the likes of Rooney, Lampard et al. on the touchlines with their subs bibs on.

Can I be right behind them even if they play a team I don't agree with?

NB. There isn't a cat in hell's chance of us winning without Rooney. Well, ther probably isn't with rooney, but...

Can't be arsed Reading the previous 6 pages... But as much as it pains me to say it, Heskey was our best player when he was in the pitch. SWP for Lennon was just pointless. And what the hell has Joe Cole done wrong? Or is he injured?!

We were just shocking, but it's set up nicely for a Mike Basset style assault on the knockout stages after a real shoddy group stage....

Come on u primadonna tossers, start earning that 100k a week.....

Can't be arsed Reading the previous 6 pages... But as much as it pains me to say it, Heskey was our best player when he was in the pitch. SWP for Lennon was just pointless. And what the hell has Joe Cole done wrong? Or is he injured?!

We were just shocking, but it's set up nicely for a Mike Basset style assault on the knockout stages after a real shoddy group stage....

Come on u primadonna tossers, start earning that 100k a week.....

I thought Heskey was our best player against the Yanks but he was dreadful tonight. I have no idea why Cole hasn't even been seen as a sub option in the two games.

I thought Heskey was our best player against the Yanks but he was dreadful tonight. I have no idea why Cole hasn't even been seen as a sub option in the two games.

We need to reply to each other really quickly to prove we aren't the same person.

It must be the North-Eastern air.

James- did OK, he didn't have a lot to do (bar the rushing out from a bad backpass) but what he did was OK. A. Cole bombed on a lot and looked dangerous going forward. Heskey was our best defender- he tracked back well and got his foot in with some good challenges on quite a few occassions but OMG going forward he was garbage and that step over when he didn't even step over it- school boys do better.

Everyone else was :censored:. If Rooney isn't happy about the fans booing him then maybe he should actually look like he cares he was awful, if we go out then i'm seriously tempted to go to heathrow and chuck anything that shower of :censored: have sponsored, including books at them, not to mention various bodily fluids.

Adam Johnson, Darren Bent, Tom Huddlestone et al. have done very well so far, heck I'd have had Tom Eaves up front instead of Rooney and Heskey tonight not to mention Danny Whittaker in midfield.

I don't have it in me to relive the pain by actually reading this thread. I'll just give my two p's worth.

We were dire, that goes without saying. The main problem for me was that we didn't retain the ball. There was no confidence or conviction to just dominate the game. Every pass we made tried to be the killer ball, the world class through ball or over the top dink.

We needed the midfield to just step up and be counted. To put a foot on it and slow things down and they were vastly incapable of that.

I can only assume Joe Coles legs fell off and no one noticed, as it seems inexplicable that he's not getting a game. Lampard was woeful again. In a poor team he's got nothing. He's far too lax in his passing and without the talent of the Chelsea side to cover for that he's just not up to it.

It has to be Lennon, Barry, Gerrard and Cole against the Slovenians. No reason to play Lampard if he's offering nothing. It seems harsh to pick him out as there was undoubtedly crap performances all over the pitch.

Fact remains that even if we get out of the groups, and that's not something I expect us to do to be honest, I no longer see us winning it (I'm an eternal optimist - even after the USA game I thought we had a shout).

Shameful.

We need to reply to each other really quickly to prove we aren't the same person.

It must be the North-Eastern air.

We know you're not Steve - he's not real. :lol:

Also apologies for the lack of coherent posting. Hangover-tastic.

We know you're not Steve - he's not real. :lol:

Also apologies for the lack of coherent posting. Hangover-tastic.

It should be rule that there are no coherent posts on an England thread, as they should all be done drunk, hung over or so ragingly angry that buttons are every so often pressed with the forehead.

Fact remains that even if we get out of the groups, and that's not something I expect us to do to be honest, I no longer see us winning it (I'm an eternal optimist - even after the USA game I thought we had a shout).

Shameful.

I said the same last night. The Slovenians are pretty good going forward and will fancy themselves to get a result against us. We'll have to improve tenfold to get past them.

And, on performances thus far, even if we get to the knockout stage, we'll go out to the first decent team we come up against.

We were awful, as Ack said, it's our inability to keep hold of the ball.

A couple of people on this thread have called Joe Cole "world class." He isn't. Not by a long shot. If he was, Carlo Ancelotti wouldn't be so eager to let him go. He is just a bit more skillful than the rest of the squad, and for that reason I would have him in the team as he might create something. It wouldn't make one jot of difference though. It wouldn't make the midfield put their foot on the ball and control the game. Gerrard would still try to play the killer ball with every touch. Players wouldn't be looking for the ball from their team mates whenever we were in possession. I lost count of the amount of times one of our lads had the ball but had no short options, and just had to lump it 20 yards down a blind alley hoping someone would be there to chase it down.

The other night I was massively critical of France. How can a team with such talent look so disinterested, and look so bad? Well, we are no better. In fact, we are exactly the same.

At the risk of going off topic, DS is back! :shock:

I'm still without my laptop, so my appearances on here are infrequent via the public library.

In an effort to lift the gloom caused by England's lack of a scoring front two I submit this picture.

England-Babes-3.jpg

Come on England! :England:

I'm still without my laptop, so my appearances on here are infrequent via the public library.

In an effort to lift the gloom caused by England's lack of a scoring front two I submit this picture.

England-Babes-3.jpg

Come on England! :England:

Nice one (or two) Diego! I feel much better now.

I reckon we're basically set up for knock-out football, which is what Wednesday's match is now. I reckon we'll give Slovenia a good slapping, win the group, and everyone who's clearly lost their minds today will be back on an even strain come Thursday morning. Actually, everyone who's losing their minds today will be losing them again on Thursday, but this time in wild and unrealistic enthusiasm.

I reckon everyone should just calm down a bit. We didn't lose last night, FFS. And a note to the booing fans out there: Just 'cos you pay big money to go and watch the team doesn't mean they're going to win. That is the nature of things. Sorry.