World Cup Thread

I think some of it has but other games have been brilliantly controlled... Some of the offside calls have been pretty good....

So they should be! They are supposedly the best batch of referees and assistants in the world. If they can't get offside decisions right then there's something very wrong!

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they should be! They are supposedly the best batch of referees and assistants in the world. If they can't get offside decisions right then there's something very wrong!

I don't think they are... They are suppose to be best from each of there respective leagues.... Doesn't guarantee they are the best in the world...

I do find it funny when we are showing super slow motion replays and picking fault sometimes :)

On far too many occasions in the last 12 days my cry of "he's a mile offside" has been proved completely wrong.

On the whole, the quality of the officials has been the best I've ever seen at a World Cup.

There are, of course, one or two exceptions.

I don't think they are... They are suppose to be best from each of there respective leagues.... Doesn't guarantee they are the best in the world...

I do find it funny when we are showing super slow motion replays and picking fault sometimes :)

This is one of my big problems with the referees they have refs from countries without a decent standard of league (they have 2 from NZ for a start, not to mention that Malian bloke), they aren't up to it. Whereas the top leagues in the world have only got one ref each, some of the refs we have at our level have been better than some of that shower. I don't have a problem with them picking refs from country X where their league is naff IF that particular ref had experience reffing in a league with some decent quality but I think FIFA don't allow that. Howard Webb isn't the only ref from the PL with international experience so why is some bloke from Mali (who IMHO was guessing half the time in that Slovenia v. Yank game) picked ahead of the likes of Martin Atkinson. If the Kiwis can have 2 refs, why can't other countries.

One ref from somewhere without a decent league is that Uzbeki bloke- he was quite good.

This is one of my big problems with the referees they have refs from countries without a decent standard of league (they have 2 from NZ for a start, not to mention that Malian bloke), they aren't up to it. Whereas the top leagues in the world have only got one ref each, some of the refs we have at our level have been better than some of that shower. I don't have a problem with them picking refs from country X where their league is naff IF that particular ref had experience reffing in a league with some decent quality but I think FIFA don't allow that. Howard Webb isn't the only ref from the PL with international experience so why is some bloke from Mali (who IMHO was guessing half the time in that Slovenia v. Yank game) picked ahead of the likes of Martin Atkinson. If the Kiwis can have 2 refs, why can't other countries.

One ref from somewhere without a decent league is that Uzbeki bloke- he was quite good.

It doesn't follow for me that a Premiership ref would automatically be better than, say, a Kuwaiti one.

Why the hell were people watching the dead rubber rather than by far and away the best game of the World Cup so far?

I watched the Arg-Gre game for two reasons:

1. The anticipation that Maradona might cark it on the touchline at any moment

2. I wanted to see Greece scrape a draw and potentially make it through despite being abysmal

Sadly, neither happened. You pays your money...

I watched the Arg-Gre game for two reasons:

1. The anticipation that Maradona might cark it on the touchline at any moment

2. I wanted to see Greece scrape a draw and potentially make it through despite being abysmal

Sadly, neither happened. You pays your money...

:lol:

the refereeing's been very good in my opinion.

it makes the standard we get seem even more unacceptable when you consider the so called backwaters some of these refs and linesmen are used to officiating in.

The main problem is not the refereeing, it's FIFA again. They have encouraged cheating by their inaction. Therefore players are actively trying to get their fellow professionals sent off. Until FIFA slaps bans on players for cheating, then this will continue and make refereeing an impossible job for great referees from established leagues, never mind ones that barely seem to know the basics.

Make any dive a red card offence and players will stop going down like dying swans every time they are touched.

The main problem is not the refereeing, it's FIFA again. They have encouraged cheating by their inaction. Therefore players are actively trying to get their fellow professionals sent off. Until FIFA slaps bans on players for cheating, then this will continue and make refereeing an impossible job for great referees from established leagues, never mind ones that barely seem to know the basics.

Make any dive a red card offence and players will stop going down like dying swans every time they are touched.

I agree, but playing devil's advocate, wouldn't that play into the hands of those who have perfected diving? For the uninitiated amongst us, wouldn't refs be inclined to give the benefit of doubt to the diver whilst thinking "he wouldn't dive given the risk of being sent off".

For this reason I'd start banning players retrospectively based on TV evidence, as per incidents of violence.

and a big dose of this spirit.

l-2.jpg

:imnotworthy:

I miss those pre 'sell-out' days which I'm just about old enough to have appreciated, I really do.

Ashley Cole doing that would just make me think "Yeah whatever Ash, you :censored:."

Much better performance this afternoon but rooney was again out of sorts. He's not fit IMO. Absolutely gutted the bloody yanks scored in the last minute but thats just the way it goes. If we have genuine belief that we can win the world cup then we will have to beat the best teams to do it, so if it is germany we play next then bring it on. Hope is renewed after today's performance. Come on England!!

England should have won that by more than 1. In some ways I'm glad the Yanks went through, they've had 2 goals now disallowed which shouldn't have been. The one against Slovenia where the ref managed to ignore the numeorus fould against Yank players and penalise the Yank for something which seemed more minor (although in fairness that was the "foul" nearest the ball). Then today I'm unconvinced Dempsey is offside.

I'm majorily gutted though as I've got tickets to the England v. Aussie one dayer at OT and it now clashes with the football so I'm praying for rain.

England should have won that by more than 1. In some ways I'm glad the Yanks went through, they've had 2 goals now disallowed which shouldn't have been. The one against Slovenia where the ref managed to ignore the numeorus fould against Yank players and penalise the Yank for something which seemed more minor (although in fairness that was the "foul" nearest the ball). Then today I'm unconvinced Dempsey is offside.

I'm majorily gutted though as I've got tickets to the England v. Aussie one dayer at OT and it now clashes with the football so I'm praying for rain.

If you decide you want to give up the cricket tickets let me know .. I may be in a position to take them off your hands.

If you decide you want to give up the cricket tickets let me know .. I may be in a position to take them off your hands.

Nah I don't think so, if you want to go tickets are still available (at least I think they are)- try ticketmaster

Germans are a goal up - it was a cracker too.

Assuming England end up playing them, I think they're beatable if you don't let them settle on the ball.

Goalie is very suspect on crosses. Possibly a game that Crouch should play a part in, coming on a sub with Lennon.