Message to the Morons

Whatever Hughes did in his personal life has nothing whatsoever to do with football.

Then why did West Brom sack him and why wasn't he able to play football for a professional team whilst in Prison? Sometimes personal lives do affect this wonderful thing called football.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a canny knack of killing Threads lets hope my strike rate continues and I get a hat trick in one day! :wink:

No such luck! Derek is a goon for being so prissy about Hughes, but Barry is also a goon - for getting involved and for being so starstruck by him.

I prefer to remember THAT day out at Millwall.

Bah humbug.... you'll be back to moaning come Christmas. :wink:

Hey! Don't knock the moaners!

Without them we'd still have Penney in charge, and the happy clappers would be stood amongst our attendances of 900 arguing between themselves about who is the most loyal. :wink:

I shall forever uphold my right to voice my opinion on matters where I believe the outcome may compromise the future of my club. (And it will be way after xmas this year - mark my words) :grin::grin:

I never cared for what Lee Hughes did. Not my role to pass judgement, rightly or wrongly.

Anyway....

2 things...

1) In that case, I hope you never get called up for Jury service

2) If we go down on goal difference by a couple of goals, I hope you take solace from the fact "Hughesy" got his hat-trick against us

I've never wished a player I've liked to ever score against us...I was disappointed Abbott left and will clap him no his return, but want him to bag? Not at all...the idea is beyond ridiculous and shows how pathetic the love-in for him actually is...

2) If we go down on goal difference by a couple of goals, I hope you take solace from the fact "Hughesy" got his hat-trick against us

I've never wished a player I've liked to ever score against us...I was disappointed Abbott left and will clap him no his return, but want him to bag? Not at all...the idea is beyond ridiculous and shows how pathetic the love-in for him actually is...

You forget though, BB80, we won't be anywhere near the relegation slots. We'll be going for top 6. Apparently.

As for players scoring against us, I'm in the same boat as you there. I never understood a few years back when the Latics fans cheered Craig Dudley when he scored against us to put us on the verge of being victim of an embarrassing cup shock.

2 things...

1) In that case, I hope you never get called up for Jury service

Oh come on Ross, read the next line. My implication is exactly what you say - there is a judicial system to decide this. My views on Hughes are as an Oldham Athletic footballer. Its not my place to bleat on about how the laws of the land mean he is allowed to be a footballer at all. My comments were all around what he did on the pitch. Nothing else.

:lol:

Glad to know your hatred of him is causing petty insults! Give it a rest. You are clever enough to realise my comments are tongue in cheek. Its probably more ridiculous to think we will score 4 goals!

Edited by BigfinLatic

Oh come on Ross, read the next line. My implication is exactly what you say - there is a judicial system to decide this. My views on Hughes are as an Oldham Athletic footballer. Its not my place to bleat on about how the laws of the land mean he is allowed to be a footballer at all. My comments were all around what he did on the pitch. Nothing else.

:lol:

Glad to know your hatred of him is causing petty insults! Give it a rest. You are clever enough to realise my comments are tongue in cheek. Its probably more ridiculous to think we will score 4 goals!

Part of the Judicial system is "Jury Service" you know :wink:

Knowing you offline, I accept the tongue in cheek but you and I both know there will be some who wouldn't mind seeing him score against us on Saturday. Which quite frankly is idiotic!

Also, in regards to your comment on Abbott and 20+ goals in another of your posts...he was unfit for most of last season, scored 13 goals and had shocking service. I think he did absolutely remarkable. I've no doubt at all that if he could ever re-kindle his fitness (or deal with the fear of fatally rupturing an artery which he now lives with since the op) he would stick in 20 goals in a decent side. A decent side like the others mentioned were blessed with. Although, Beckett probably played in the least talented out of him Porter and Hughes so maybe should merit more praise...many ways to look at it.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I cannot believe that this thread has carried on for 7 pages, I cant believe i have just been sad enough to read the whole lot. Some of the posters in this thread really have not got a clue, Lee Hughes does not play for us anymore, he chose to play elsewhere for more money after we had recued him when he had nowt, now as a paying customer we are all entitled to our own views, Barry you might not like this but i reckon we should all turn our back on him just like he did to us for half of his last season whilst he was getting payed by us the supporters.

I cannot believe that this thread has carried on for 7 pages, I cant believe i have just been sad enough to read the whole lot. Some of the posters in this thread really have not got a clue, Lee Hughes does not play for us anymore, he chose to play elsewhere for more money after we had recued him when he had nowt, now as a paying customer we are all entitled to our own views, Barry you might not like this but i reckon we should all turn our back on him just like he did to us for half of his last season whilst he was getting payed by us the supporters.

can you not be that hard with you threads lee hughes was loved.

Also, in regards to your comment on Abbott and 20+ goals in another of your posts...he was unfit for most of last season, scored 13 goals and had shocking service. I think he did absolutely remarkable. I've no doubt at all that if he could ever re-kindle his fitness (or deal with the fear of fatally rupturing an artery which he now lives with since the op) he would stick in 20 goals in a decent side. A decent side like the others mentioned were blessed with. Although, Beckett probably played in the least talented out of him Porter and Hughes so maybe should merit more praise...many ways to look at it.

Thats my point though. I watched Abbott alot when he was at 'udders originally, and he was qbsolute quality (even though criticised regularly for being lazy)... however he moved to the swans, lost confidence and fell to pieces, along with injuries etc.. Looked like he was getting things back togeter at Darlington, and at the start for us.. but then more bad luck hit.

I was more excited than any to see Abbott in an Oldham shirt, however for all the reasons you mention, actually think him moving on is the best option for the club. I hope he does well, but there has been so many false dawns in his career, and after the bad luck of last season I just cant see him doing it. Theres a lot of pressure at Charlton, and they have a much poorer side at the moment than last season. He's barely played any pre-season, and I can imagine him getting some stick there - especially seeing he has replaced players such as Sam!

Equally looking forward to seeing Paw in a couple of weeks - he will get a massive round of applause from me too for what he did last season. In many ways, did more on the pitch than hughes ever did by essentially keeping us up along with Greegs... I'll always remember Leyton Orient... however still not as good as Millwall!

Last game I went to was Saturday....

Besides only going one game last season comments on here seem to speak volume on how people still feel towards their own fans. You telling me the place has dramatically changed ?

Anyway, I probably did overact last night...

Was it a home game?

No, therefore unable to pass judgement in anyway on what the place is like now regarding the atmosphere at home games.

But despite that, i forgot.. you dont like who we have in running the club..

will you return if chris moore was to takeover again..?

Was it a home game?

No, therefore unable to pass judgement in anyway on what the place is like now regarding the atmosphere at home games.

But despite that, i forgot.. you dont like who we have in running the club..

will you return if chris moore was to takeover again..?

Some people are impressed with those flashing the cash, some by those who run with a steady control of the tiller.....

Some people are impressed with those flashing the cash, some by those who run with a steady control of the tiller.....

Flash the cash at the time will nearly always win over football fans.. until afterwards..

steady control of the tiller all the time for me..

Flash the cash at the time will nearly always win over football fans.. until afterwards..

steady control of the tiller all the time for me..

Nothing steady about keep sacking managers and paying them off time and time again...

It's a balance of both really...TTA have/had serious money compared to others but have played it conservatively. Fair enough, but they've had financial boosts in cup runs, tv monies selling of players...they've not lost out like folk think. They have loans that are unpaid but will be recouped once BP is a housing estate. They never came here to lose money and haven't as they've assets for their purchases...BP is worth far more today than it was 10yrs ago (they bought it in 2003/4 for the price it was sold to the council for) despite recession and economic decline.

The level of input under Ronnie was sufficient to be successful over a season or two of building and what I expected from TTA...the plan was right...but fans decided they "wanted their club back"...TTA buckled...the level of support budgetwise for Shez was right too but he blew it. Now we've gone on a cut-back spree as the only real coin they wanted to put in, they've used up. Our cloth is being cut accordingly....however we were told this would only happen if the stadium wasn't happening. So how come we've cut it accordingly already and 2 of the 3 have walked away? These are why people like OAFC0000 have their hang-ups about the club. Personally, I think starving the club of the money is self-defeating, both from TTA's point of view and people like OAFC0000 non-attending. I don't think anybody wants a Chris Moore again...but neither do we want a Del Boy!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Liked Hughes at his time at Latics.

Not just the goals, but also his attitude to the game. Seemed to really enjoy playing football, and somehow that always makes watching a player more satisfying for me. Also, he stood out as a very good player ability-wise, not just an out and out goal scorer - shame he was too quick of thought for some of the players that played around him.

As for views on what he did prior to joining us, that has been discussed to death in the past. Some will never forgive, others (and I include myself in this bunch) believe you serve your time and deserve a second chance.

I will give him a round of applause on Saturday, and will not boo him (except maybe the 'joke' first touch). Also, I hope others do not and he does to us what he did to so many opposition fans in his time in the blue shirt...i.e. respond in the most professional way possible and score. In fact, the way he handled the weekly abuse was another facet I admired whilst at BP.

Liked Hughes at his time at Latics.

Not just the goals, but also his attitude to the game. Seemed to really enjoy playing football, and somehow that always makes watching a player more satisfying for me. Also, he stood out as a very good player ability-wise, not just an out and out goal scorer - shame he was too quick of thought for some of the players that played around him.

As for views on what he did prior to joining us, that has been discussed to death in the past. Some will never forgive, others (and I include myself in this bunch) believe you serve your time and deserve a second chance.

I will give him a round of applause on Saturday, and will not boo him (except maybe the 'joke' first touch). Also, I hope others do not and he does to us what he did to so many opposition fans in his time in the blue shirt...i.e. respond in the most professional way possible and score. In fact, the way he handled the weekly abuse was another facet I admired whilst at BP.

You want him to score? :blink:

Edited by Macca