Evolution - 27.04.2011

does anyone "appreciate" marketing and/or graphic design other than marketing & graphic design bods?

load of old bollocks

I appreciate graphic design, and I'm in neither sector. Misery guts.

It's a :censored: emblem by the way.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't particularly dislike the badge, but I don't seee there was any neeed to change it, and all the design blurb explaining the different aspects of the badge is just bull:censored:.

Is it me, or does the new owl appear to be eyeing something suspiciously? Maybe it's keeping a watch on Corney? How apt.

I don't particularly dislike the badge, but I don't seee there was any neeed to change it, and all the design blurb explaining the different aspects of the badge is just bull:censored:.

Is it me, or does the new owl appear to be eyeing something suspiciously? Maybe it's keeping a watch on Corney? How apt.

I too don't see the point. No one complained before and it just gives people something new to moan at. It is what it is. I've seen a lot worse - which is probably why I don't mind it. My first reaction was "oh" rather than "gutted".

All sports are going this way of americanised badges. (unfortunately)

Rugby league is often used as a counter argument... No one here is called "wildcats" and we don't all play a game in Cardiff for revenue do we?

County cricket - Lancashire Lightning? That name (and badge) is pretty American.

It kept an owl on it and I never expected it to.

Edited by pukka

A new badge is always going to be met with mixed views, an almost impossible job tbh. I'd love to know and see what people were wanting, as it would take years to agree on something the majority of us liked.

And there is the nail being hit on its head!

Any fan consultation would have resulted in a massively slow process whilst latics fans bickered, moaned and stamped their feet trying to all agree on a change of direction; but ultimately failing to do so.

My personal opinion is that whilst i think it was unnecessary; the new badge doesnt look too bad; especially the woven version on the kit. And; I really like the new away kit; it looks very smart.

I think it was actually a good marketing exercise; as It generated debate.......and anyone thinking of anything grander than a new badge / new kit; was always likely to be disappointed.

Edited by slystallone

I will never buy anytime with this logo on bull:censored: already? Get a grip will you. As Prozac correctly mentioned in a post earlier on its modernised the badge. The problem is most Oldham fans don't like change but tough :censored: your going to see a lot more of it.

It is not a modernised badge at all. It makes Oldham look like a local 5-a-side club, that had the logo design done by the managers son. I am all for change if it is 1. needed and 2. an improvement. Neither is the case with this badge.

It is just terrible and will make Oldham the laughing stock of the football league.

Maybe some of the more vocal people on here in support of it just don't understand logo design. Having been in the industry in the past, I can tell you that this logo would have taken no more than 5 mins to put together. If it took any longer, then the "designer" didn't know what they were doing.

The logo just looks like one of the many photoshop tutorials available online.

Not happy, and I don't care what anyone else on here thinks about it or my decision not to buy anything with it on.

It is not a modernised badge at all. It makes Oldham look like a local 5-a-side club, that had the logo design done by the managers son. I am all for change if it is 1. needed and 2. an improvement. Neither is the case with this badge.

It is just terrible and will make Oldham the laughing stock of the football league.

Maybe some of the more vocal people on here in support of it just don't understand logo design. Having been in the industry in the past, I can tell you that this logo would have taken no more than 5 mins to put together. If it took any longer, then the "designer" didn't know what they were doing.

The logo just looks like one of the many photoshop tutorials available online.

Not happy, and I don't care what anyone else on here thinks about it or my decision not to buy anything with it on.

Whats more important on a badge, some grand complex design or it saying what the club is? Simple doesn't have to mean cheap and tacky. It has an owl on it, a mean one at that, it says the clubs name, it's blue and it's got the year the club was founded. What's wrong with that?

Whats more important on a badge, some grand complex design or it saying what the club is? Simple doesn't have to mean cheap and tacky. It has an owl on it, a mean one at that, it says the clubs name, it's blue and it's got the year the club was founded. What's wrong with that?

Thank you macca :grin:

Maybe I was unfair before pdw76......

......no, just thought about my opinion again, and the art projects from GCSE that I have seen personally and, yep, I'm right.

I just don't think that many people will like it.

As I think I said earlier, it seems like Alan Hardy trying to justify his position. And it was oversold. No Latics fan is going to boycott matches for the sake of the badge. I know I won't. But why on earth is a new badge and kit an EVOLUTION? A new stadium is evolution. New board/chairmen/redevelopment news/AH being sacked is an evolution (or is the last one Revolution? :) ). This is a minor change and I don't like it, it wasn't necessary. If this did cost ANY money at all, it was a waste. While there are staff members who weren't getting paid until the Sky Sports money came in the board were getting this done. Even if the board dipped in their own pockets, that's a waste. Pay the staff first from their own pockets if they wish to invest money. I'd hate to think that the Bill Urmston situation might happen again.

Black kit. Sure its nice. But again, not an evolution. As I said earlier, happens every couple of years so what are we left with? We are Latics. Nice. A new slogan. We had one before. Keep the faith. That wasn't branded as an evolution.

Why raise fans hopes with such grand statements? If we were told the club would have a new badge and it would be unveiled last night, then fine, but an evolution? That's a stretch.

I think the discussion should really move away from whether anyone likes the badge or not though. We can all make our feelings known by hanging banners with the last club crest on at matches. We can just not buy the pin badges with the new one on. IMO, what we need to do as fans is let the current administration know what we think about our hopes and expectations. We spend a fortune on kits, tickets, programmes and the like and as we are putting so much money into the club, we should have been consulted or at least had our expectations managed better.

Sorry. (Fiarly random) Rant over.

used them as an example.. apple is the branding.. being surrounded, manipulated or stimulated is the marketing side of it..

However, it works for Apple because they're massive. We consume their marketing because it's absolutely everywhere - Bus shelters, Picadilly Circus, Magazines, TV, etc. and this is why we are influenced without even knowing about it. If Apple re-branded, it would get a reaction (however small) from all of us, which is why it works for them.

Oldham Athletic, who barely get any column inches in the local rags, however, are not everywhere and the only ones who will really notice the badge change are the people who actively looked for it in the first place!

Is this a project that the club has paid for or is it something Carbrini have done voluntarily?

I actually think the badge looks alright, but is a necessary expense it certainly isn’t.

You can see why people get annoyed about being asked by the club to turn up to games and shell out “for the future of football in Oldham”, only for the cash to be wasted on something like this.

Maybe I was unfair before pdw76......

......no, just thought about my opinion again, and the art projects from GCSE that I have seen personally and, yep, I'm right.

I just don't think that many people will like it.

As I think I said earlier, it seems like Alan Hardy trying to justify his position. And it was oversold. No Latics fan is going to boycott matches for the sake of the badge. I know I won't. But why on earth is a new badge and kit an EVOLUTION? A new stadium is evolution. New board/chairmen/redevelopment news/AH being sacked is an evolution (or is the last one Revolution? :) ). This is a minor change and I don't like it, it wasn't necessary. If this did cost ANY money at all, it was a waste. While there are staff members who weren't getting paid until the Sky Sports money came in the board were getting this done. Even if the board dipped in their own pockets, that's a waste. Pay the staff first from their own pockets if they wish to invest money. I'd hate to think that the Bill Urmston situation might happen again.

Black kit. Sure its nice. But again, not an evolution. As I said earlier, happens every couple of years so what are we left with? We are Latics. Nice. A new slogan. We had one before. Keep the faith. That wasn't branded as an evolution.

Why raise fans hopes with such grand statements? If we were told the club would have a new badge and it would be unveiled last night, then fine, but an evolution? That's a stretch.

I think the discussion should really move away from whether anyone likes the badge or not though. We can all make our feelings known by hanging banners with the last club crest on at matches. We can just not buy the pin badges with the new one on. IMO, what we need to do as fans is let the current administration know what we think about our hopes and expectations. We spend a fortune on kits, tickets, programmes and the like and as we are putting so much money into the club, we should have been consulted or at least had our expectations managed better.

Sorry. (Fiarly random) Rant over.

An evolution is nothing that you think it is.

With regards to the stadium, wait until the local elections are over. We might find out a bit more about it after then.

From the dikshunary: :blink:

ev·o·lu·tion (v-lshn, v-)

n.

1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form. See Synonyms at development.

Sorry, I don't see how a new badge, kit and catchphrase is making OAFC a more complex or better form. Maybe I should be focusing on the GRADUAL part...

Still, at least no one has called me a :censored:/kid/pal yet!

:wink:

Maybe I should be focusing on the GRADUAL part...

That's it. The badge is only the first part hopefully. Up to the club now to build on it. The badge shouldn't be just it. If it is then the club will have failed miserably again.

New radical kit - we had a Blue/black kit a couple of years ago- Far more Radical if it became new home shirt!

Badge rebranding (remember the shield thing)- Tried that when we had that awful red/blue Pony kit, all polo shirts had the shield on it sold hardly any then we went back to the old badge. End of day its a badge! who cares! its not discusting or brilliant!

Evolution I don't think so! more a revolution, things just keep coming around!

An evolution is nothing that you think it is.

With regards to the stadium, wait until the local elections are over. We might find out a bit more about it after then.

said kaskenmoor a while back drawing's been made as we speak it will hold cinima hotel house's bowling alley from kaskenmoor to the gass works also the bussinesses will all be re housed next to morrisons behind the mirror paper place.

And also said everything will be told after the local elections :D

Dear god, some of these complaints are ridiculous.

I can understand people who think it was overhyped. I can (just about, although I disagree) understand people who think it's unnecessary and may be a waste of money.

I can't grasp the "amateurish ... never going again ... never buying a shirt again" angle. It's just a badge. It looks no more or less professional than most others. And, for me most tellingly, the old badge was hardly a work of bleeding art — chubby sub-Rorshach owl perched on dull banner. Not sure how this is so much worse than that.

Did some of you lose your sense of perspective in a terrible accident?

love the badge. love change. things get stale. too many people stuck in a time warp. we really do have more than our fair share of miserable, negative, backward thinking, moaning old farts. get a dog and take your frustrations out on that rather than keep picking at everything people are doing to take us in a new direction. 'I'll never buy this, I'll never do that, I'll never go there...' Give it a rest.

the owl looks well 'ard. slightly demonic eyes with a look to kill - brilliant!

love a new stadium in a new area. time to freshen everything up - all very stale. we need a revolution!

Oldham - putting the greater into Manchester! :grin:

Dear god, some of these complaints are ridiculous.

I can understand people who think it was overhyped. I can (just about, although I disagree) understand people who think it's unnecessary and may be a waste of money.

I can't grasp the "amateurish ... never going again ... never buying a shirt again" angle. It's just a badge. It looks no more or less professional than most others. And, for me most tellingly, the old badge was hardly a work of bleeding art — chubby sub-Rorshach owl perched on dull banner. Not sure how this is so much worse than that.

Did some of you lose your sense of perspective in a terrible accident?

100% AGREE there is some right loone balls on here fella to be honest you can get internet access in a nut house these days :S

love the badge. love change. things get stale. too many people stuck in a time warp. we really do have more than our fair share of miserable, negative, backward thinking, moaning old farts. get a dog and take your frustrations out on that rather than keep picking at everything people are doing to take us in a new direction. 'I'll never buy this, I'll never do that, I'll never go there...' Give it a rest.

the owl looks well 'ard. slightly demonic eyes with a look to kill - brilliant!

love a new stadium in a new area. time to freshen everything up - all very stale. we need a revolution!

Oldham - putting the greater into Manchester! :grin:

Erm what do you do to the dog :o

said kaskenmoor a while back drawing's been made as we speak it will hold cinima hotel house's bowling alley from kaskenmoor to the gass works also the bussinesses will all be re housed next to morrisons behind the mirror paper place.

And also said everything will be told after the local elections :D

sherlockowl.jpg