Simon Corney Interview

You've just said to do this costs money, so where's the club going to get the staff to sell all these new packages? They can't even sell the minute range of packages they offer now or employ staff to make the club a fighting chance of being a viable going concern to investors. It's a vicious circle. The club pleads poverty, but will do little to help itself, preferring to settle for mediocrity or excuses as to why things cannot change. Any staff member with new ideas, soon moves on be they marketing directors, visionary managers, physios, coaches or groundsmen - leaving behind the same old faces, making the same mistakes. I know it sounds negative and I know many of the staff give their all for their meagre wages but the club simply will not progress until we get new vision into the club to move it forward. The new stadium will help, but without a real desire to make the club successful and plenty of money, the crowds even in a new ground will be similar to what we have seen for the last 3 or 4 years.

I don't think our viewpoints are particularly far apart here. I just think that at the moment with funds so tigh then doing things on the cheap will be the only way of doing things launching a mass marketing campaign now isn't the best use of resources. Would we be prepared to sacrifice a signing of a new player for the sake of a marketing campaign thats the choices we are currently faced with.

However fast forward 20 months its Jan 2013 and we are on track to move into our new home at the 15,000 seater Hollinwood bowl (idealist situation I know) that for me would be the time to really start marketing the club. The prospect of a new stadium coupled with discounted season tickets and a huge marketing campaign and a real drive to fill the new stadium would pay off. We are going to have to offer people more than just a few discounted tickets to get people back through the gate.

As for the current administration well it pretty much goes without saying we need new people at the top to breed new life into the club. But any potential investor with half a brain cell will understand the need for a new stadium and it will be at the forefront of any new owners plans for the club.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not read everything on here as there's a load of responses, so if what I'm about to say has been said apologies for the echo.

Why don't they just offer kids under a certain age (12 is usually a good starting point) free entry if accompanied by an full paying adult. At the moment it's £3 for u12's but just 2 stands (yes i know we've only got 3!), once they're in concession stands will get the money off them as kids these days are all obese (well so bbc news tells me!).

I can see the discounted season ticket prices and they do look competetive but at the end of the day a lot of people don't like being tied down these days and a lot of people can't commit to spending a bulk amount of money and like to see if they can afford it on the weekend in question. If we can afford to discount prices for season tickets now why can't we do it during the season? Understnd we need to turn every away fan upside down and shake the money out of their pockets while we can but we can surely offer discounts for loyalty for people who choose to pay on the day. At the moment it's less than £18 a game for which ever season ticket you get, for people paying on the door give them a card with A,B, and C columns and then stamp each one for each game they pay on the day for. As they come again the price gets discounted by an amount. So for example let's say Joe Oldhamer goes to a cat A game and pays £23, his second cat A game he pays £21, third cat A game he pays £19, then £17, then £15. Across the five games he pays and average of £19 (more than season ticket holders so everyone's happy) and he gets an incentive to come back. Obvoiusly you'd limit these cards to a number of stamps and they only count up for like for like categories. I genuinely think this would bring people in and if combined with free kids for paying adults could really boost the attendances. What do people think?

got to also look at the non football competition as thats is a factor with familys .for £12 2 adults & 2 under 16s get upto 90mins at hyde fun pool with slide fountians wave machine etc .thats less than the cost of a single adult to a cat"c" match other non fun pools are even cheaper ! .The cineworld at snipe clough offer 2 adults for £10 on tuesday evnings again less than the cost of 1 adult to a cat "c "game your choice cold wet bp v hartlepool for £28 plus parking & extras or latest hollywood blockbuster warm dry comfy seats + free parking .thats our competition not just citeah manure and the armchair/pub brigade .untill the club offer a better deal for familys there gona go elsewhere thats better value .

TOWN.CENTRE.PRESENCE

I'm not talking about a little shop either. Set up smalls stalls and kiosks on Saturday mornings and early afternoon. Catch the families that are out and about shopping, give them "kid's go free" (when accompanied by a paying adult) vouchers for that days game. Give them leaflets advertising other upcoming games.

Huddersfield have signs around saying "WE ARE TOWN" and then their next fixture, etc.

We need to think more like that.

got to also look at the non football competition as thats is a factor with familys .for £12 2 adults & 2 under 16s get upto 90mins at hyde fun pool with slide fountians wave machine etc .thats less than the cost of a single adult to a cat"c" match other non fun pools are even cheaper !

They don't sound all that appealing though. :wink:

No bombing

No heavy petting

no-fun.png

even morcambe have adverts for there games all over town ! Saw three in lancaster whilst delivering there tuther week ! What do we have the rarely wrong chron tameside advertiser (advert usualy wrong week ) meanwhile sale sharks manure citeah bury dale noblot plastics all have massive media and marketing presence in there boroughs and beyond .we have to compete or die

I don't think our viewpoints are particularly far apart here. I just think that at the moment with funds so tigh then doing things on the cheap will be the only way of doing things launching a mass marketing campaign now isn't the best use of resources. Would we be prepared to sacrifice a signing of a new player for the sake of a marketing campaign thats the choices we are currently faced with.

However fast forward 20 months its Jan 2013 and we are on track to move into our new home at the 15,000 seater Hollinwood bowl (idealist situation I know) that for me would be the time to really start marketing the club. The prospect of a new stadium coupled with discounted season tickets and a huge marketing campaign and a real drive to fill the new stadium would pay off. We are going to have to offer people more than just a few discounted tickets to get people back through the gate.

As for the current administration well it pretty much goes without saying we need new people at the top to breed new life into the club. But any potential investor with half a brain cell will understand the need for a new stadium and it will be at the forefront of any new owners plans for the club.

Far from the status quo, I believe if we move into a new stadium, the club will be run a lot more professionally than it is now simply because it will have the diversification of income streams, which will allow to pay for staff and other costs, which we cannot afford now.

TOWN.CENTRE.PRESENCE

I'm not talking about a little shop either. Set up smalls stalls and kiosks on Saturday mornings and early afternoon. Catch the families that are out and about shopping, give them "kid's go free" (when accompanied by a paying adult) vouchers for that days game. Give them leaflets advertising other upcoming games.

Huddersfield have signs around saying "WE ARE TOWN" and then their next fixture, etc.

We need to think more like that.

totally agree,

also when they send of the club emails why not send out a leaflet/advertisement as an attachment and encourage the fan to print it off and stick it up in their workplace ?

Far from the status quo, I believe if we move into a new stadium, the club will be run a lot more professionally than it is now simply because it will have the diversification of income streams, which will allow to pay for staff and other costs, which we cannot afford now.

the club would have to be run more efficiently if we ever move to a new ground..the club would need to get in lots of new people,instead of the old fashioned little oldham type staff we have now...

the club would have to be run more efficiently if we ever move to a new ground..the club would need to get in lots of new people,instead of the old fashioned little oldham type staff we have now...

The first step would be to support the current staff with the resources the new income streams bring so that they can do their jobs properly. Its funny what can happen when staff are given the tools to do the job.

even morcambe have adverts for there games all over town ! Saw three in lancaster whilst delivering there tuther week ! What do we have the rarely wrong chron tameside advertiser (advert usualy wrong week ) meanwhile sale sharks manure citeah bury dale noblot plastics all have massive media and marketing presence in there boroughs and beyond .we have to compete or die

Spot on...saw that advert in last weeks Tameside Advertiser promoting the MK Scum game. Major fail!

Said it for years and years (and this is the smallest thing of the lot to do) that not having a single advertisement board anywhere around the major focal points (top of Sheepfoot Lane/Chaddy Way/Broadway) is simply madness. No other club in the land promotes itself so badly! The cost? Minimal. The number of passers-by that would see it...endless!

We're just a pathetically run club...times are hard and boy don't we know we're in poverty. But so are tons of other clubs. I highly doubt they compound their troubles by such commercial neglect and boardroom apathy. It's ok though...the new badge will save us...

Spot on...saw that advert in last weeks Tameside Advertiser promoting the MK Scum game. Major fail!

Said it for years and years (and this is the smallest thing of the lot to do) that not having a single advertisement board anywhere around the major focal points (top of Sheepfoot Lane/Chaddy Way/Broadway) is simply madness. No other club in the land promotes itself so badly! The cost? Minimal. The number of passers-by that would see it...endless!

We're just a pathetically run club...times are hard and boy don't we know we're in poverty. But so are tons of other clubs. I highly doubt they compound their troubles by such commercial neglect and boardroom apathy. It's ok though...the new badge will save us...

AS has been proven last time, the advert was solely the responsibility of the Advertiser. In fact last time they credited the club. Not much popint this time, unless we could get an advert for season tickets out of it. (Ping light bulb moment)

Whilst I do agree about the boards and general advertising, I think that there was a reason for not putting the boards up. IIRC it was to do with planning permission, and we all know the track record with the planners!

My local club, Tonbridge, have a set of posters printed wit the month ahead, now it does change but I am sure lots of those in shops would be a good idea, but at nil cost would be perfect.

Soemthing for the Trust IMHO.

The first step would be to support the current staff with the resources the new income streams bring so that they can do their jobs properly. Its funny what can happen when staff are given the tools to do the job.

ok...the current staff are more likely to put people off than be innavative and step up to the mark....even big joe says its like putting on a comfy pair of slippers going back to the club.with the same faces.....thats why if we ever do get a new ground we need more forward thinking people in the ilk of sean jarvis...

ok...the current staff are more likely to put people off than be innavative and step up to the mark....even big joe says its like putting on a comfy pair of slippers going back to the club.with the same faces.....thats why if we ever do get a new ground we need more forward thinking people in the ilk of sean jarvis...

I agree with that.

My local club, Tonbridge, have a set of posters printed wit the month ahead, now it does change but I am sure lots of those in shops would be a good idea, but at nil cost would be perfect.

Soemthing for the Trust IMHO.

I'm far from the Trust's biggest fan - but why should they do it and not the club!?

I'm far from the Trust's biggest fan - but why should they do it and not the club!?

they shouldnt,its down to the club and its marketing team to get posters done and promote the team and the club,something we seem totally inept at doing...

there is no reason why we cant have a huge poster at the top of sheepfoot lane with a picture of a player down one side and the seasons fixtures down the other..the boards there already,just needs printing....

How about giving a season ticket for free to every under 12 that buys a replica shirt. That way, u generate money frOm the shirt, have a bum On a seat that might bring a parent or a friend, and also have one more Oldham shirt on show at the ground. Or on show on the streets. As was said earlier, way to many utd and city shirts around town.

I do love that, despite our cash strapped position being not uncommon amongst other clubs, the Football League find it in them to have their annual meeting in Cyprus. Remind me, which one of the 72 league clubs is based near Cyprus?

How about giving a season ticket for free to every under 12 that buys a replica shirt. That way, u generate money frOm the shirt, have a bum On a seat that might bring a parent or a friend, and also have one more Oldham shirt on show at the ground. Or on show on the streets. As was said earlier, way to many utd and city shirts around town.

That is a decent idea.

Its been a while since I went to Bury, but everytime I do I don't notice any adverts for the football team (I could be mistaken naturally). Bury does not have a daily paper (unlike Oldham). The same goes for Dale.

However, you are right that the media presence beyond the repsective boroughs is better for Bury and Dale, but I suppose that comes with the Chron.

No thanks. Even if there are plenty of old codgers in there, it still doesn't justify the comment about the fanbase being dominated by over 65s. :blink:

the club will know the actual amount of over 65's who attend games and buy season tickets....so how can you dispute it???,just because they dont all sit near you...