Amusing Latics stories ?

Have you any amusing Latics stories ?

I remember a mate of mine phoning work on a Saturday morning saying he had the flu (he was on an afternoon shift)and was sorry he would have to take the weekend off.

The following Monday he appeared in the local newspaper ringed as 'a face in the crowd' at a Latics match.

I'm not sure how he explained that to his employer. :grin:

Of the top of my head....

I stuck a fiver on latics 4 Forest 0 at 100/1 when we won 5-0. As Rocastle went through I had my head in my hands. I'm the only person who can't be doing with that game. A few weeks later when we played scunny away we met the players in a service station near Leeds. My mate told shez who along with Craig Rocastle decided to give me grief for the next 10 minutes.

I wagged school to go to swindon in the FA Cup, and my grandma saw me on the news shouting 'you dont know what youre doing' at some bloke who had proposed to his girlfriend on the pitch at half time. That was slightly funny (to my mates) but then we got to school and my headteacher had seen it aswell, apparantley that was hillarious.

I wagged school to go to swindon in the FA Cup, and my grandma saw me on the news shouting 'you dont know what youre doing' at some bloke who had proposed to his girlfriend on the pitch at half time. That was slightly funny (to my mates) but then we got to school and my headteacher had seen it aswell, apparantley that was hillarious.

Same thing happened to me, wagged the afternoon off school to go to the re-arranged Swindon game on a Monday

Fooking Cullinan (teacher) found out and bollocked me in front of the morning assembly and tried to embarrass me in front of everyone because we lost to a last minute goal

I was the only one out of 7 or 8 of us who got into any kind of trouble for going

After all these years i think I’m still a little scarred from the incident – Swindon! What a :censored: hole

I've probably mentioned this tale on here sometime before.

Reading away, FA Cup 3rd round sometime around 1995. Graeme Sharp bags the third to virtually seal the tie and put it beyond any doubt. I leap at the front barrier in celebration only to lose my footing completely, slip off and land arse first into the puddle collected at the bottom of the terrace.

Also, my pitch invasion attempt after Gary Macs late laveller at Scunny. As soon as I put one trimm trabb down on that wet, slimy turf I knew it was a grave mistake. slipping and sliding away, with arms flailing everywhere I avoided ejection and arrest thanks to a couple of mates in the stand who helped drag me back over.

Steve Cherry (Plymouth goalie) punched/pushed me once in the 80s whilst ballboying, for timewasting :grin:

My mic lead fell out in a JPT/Simod/Zenith/full members cup tie, whilst trying to introduce Stoke substitute Dave Brammer and it ended up "The substitute for Stoke City is Number 8 Dave.....(at this point the lead fell out)............" With all the main stand turning aroung shouting "Dave Who??!!"

Me and Ex chron reporter Mike Yarwood being bollocked by Alan Hardy one reserve game in the 80s for having a snowball fight whilst ballboying - I was in the terraces of the Rocky end, he was up in the Lookers :lol:

Watching the dodge score a hat-trick at Maine Road in a 4-1 mauling - Funny as fook - you won't beat that one(unless you were there i guess)!!!

Edited by futchers briefs

There was a massive queue at the turnstile for the York City v Latics match many years ago and nothing appeared to be moving....fearing we would all miss the kick off a Latics shouted out to the turnstile operator.....

"Open the gates man and hold a bucket - we will throw in the money as we go past"

Edited by BP1960

Sheff Weds away about 7 or 8 years ago. Large queue at the turnstile at Leppings Lane end, and there is a young girl in front of me who has............ shall we say........... a massive arse!!! She pays but her arse would not fit through the turnstile (I must admit they are a bit narrow) and the guy who she has paid is telling her to push :lol: in the end she says I cant get through and he shouts round the corner at the top of his voice "STEWARD, you will have to open up the big gate to let her in, she cant fit through"!!! :grin:

Went to Cheltenham game on way to Huntingdon mascot race. Before the game me and Dean smalley had a comp to see who could hit the crossbar with the hardest shot from about 25 yards out. I hit a screamer and it skimmed the bar and smashed some dude in the side of his napper and took him straight off his feet. He got up with his cap knocked sideways and glasses broke and hot bovril down his top. I still swear to god I saw a bit of a piss stain on Deanos shorts where he laughed so hard.

Would love to know who that fella was :)

Went to Cheltenham game on way to Huntingdon mascot race. Before the game me and Dean smalley had a comp to see who could hit the crossbar with the hardest shot from about 25 yards out. I hit a screamer and it skimmed the bar and smashed some dude in the side of his napper and took him straight off his feet. He got up with his cap knocked sideways and glasses broke and hot bovril down his top. I still swear to god I saw a bit of a piss stain on Deanos shorts where he laughed so hard.

Were you impressed with Billy Brewer's crossbar-hitting expertise? He spends most of his time at the Pirelli practising.

A Bournemouth winger making a bizzare screaming sound whilst going in for a challenge in front of the Lookers. Cue the entire stand making similar noises everytime he touched the ball. He ended up switching wings...

That was Marvin Bartley, who's now at Burnley. I remember it well, a Tuesday night game which we won easily. He got some dogs stick from the whole Lookers stand after that. Hilarious!

21lmjc4.jpg

Warsaw at home boxing day the pitch was so Icy Darren Wrack from warsaw brought a spare pair of boots and put em by the lookers barrier, at half time he went to get em and some old bloke about 70 was filling is boots full of snow even Darren wrack was pissing him.self

Edited by yardie28

Probably the bloke who clocked you one at Preston.

Steve Cherry (Plymouth goalie) punched/pushed me once in the 80s whilst ballboying, for timewasting :grin:

My mic lead fell out in a JPT/Simod/Zenith/full members cup tie, whilst trying to introduce Stoke substitute Dave Brammer and it ended up "The substitute for Stoke City is Number 8 Dave.....(at this point the lead fell out)............" With all the main stand turning aroung shouting "Dave Who??!!"

Me and Ex chron reporter Mike Yarwood being bollocked by Alan Hardy one reserve game in the 80s for having a snowball fight whilst ballboying - I was in the terraces of the Rocky end, he was up in the Lookers :lol:

Watching the dodge score a hat-trick at Maine Road in a 4-1 mauling - Funny as fook - you won't beat that one(unless you were there i guess)!!!

I remmember that incident with Plymouth, think we won 2.1... I actually told you to tell Betty Pascall about it.. I was only abougt 9 myself.. I have often thought of that occasion,.. Memory serves me well, it was in the chaddy end

I've probably mentioned this tale on here sometime before.

Reading away, FA Cup 3rd round sometime around 1995. Graeme Sharp bags the third to virtually seal the tie and put it beyond any doubt. I leap at the front barrier in celebration only to lose my footing completely, slip off and land arse first into the puddle collected at the bottom of the terrace.

Also, my pitch invasion attempt after Gary Macs late laveller at Scunny. As soon as I put one trimm trabb down on that wet, slimy turf I knew it was a grave mistake. slipping and sliding away, with arms flailing everywhere I avoided ejection and arrest thanks to a couple of mates in the stand who helped drag me back over.

My mate also invaded the pitch that day I think he may have knocked someone over in doing so (at least from what I can recall from watching the TV footage), so your "slipping" may not have been a slip after all.

The same mate fell over on one of the traditional last-day pitch invasions and due to him not wearing a belt it meant a fair proportion of arse was shown.

Also I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bloke who was trying to show off and headed the ball back into play from the lookers paddock only to fall over the advertising hoardings and end up on the pitch.

OASIS trip to Portsmouth in 87 (first season of play-offs) when it was between us them and Derby for the two automatic promtion spots. Minibus full of beer.

Stopped by police 2 miles from ground.

Copper: "You haven't got any alcohol in there have you lads"

Us: "No, not us"

Copper opens door adn fifty or so empty cans and a dozen full ones fall onto the road. He starts taking names anad adresses but is clearly puzzled as to why dozen lads from, largely, South London are watching Oldham. After a bit of a chat he concluded that we are not going to be a problem he decides to send us on our way but tells us we'll have to get rid of any full cans we've got left.

We present a tramp asleep in a doorway over the road with twentyodd cans of beer - He clearly thinks he's died and gone to heaven as our new best mate organises outriders for us to get to the ground in time for kick-off.

Didn't end well though - we lost 3-0...