January Transfers

Is it just me or does anyone else think it’s awfully quiet on here regarding possible Latics targets?!

Even a few rumours would keep things interesting! where’s Roylearmy when you need him?! B)

I think we've got a decent squad, if not slightly thin in places - surely at least one addition would be welcome? Obviously depending on if we can get the right player in.... there just doesnt seem to be any movement

personally id be looking to get a left back and a central defender in. shipped far too many goals in the first half of the season. id only get them in mind if they are conciderably better than clarke and black.

every time we come up against someone who has done their homework we get raped down our left flank

Defence - A new left back would be nice, but don't think we need a centre back - Tarky is plenty good enough to cover for M'voto and Diamond

Centre Mid - We feel a bit light, unless he tries Mellor in there?

Up front - a fit Reuben Reid would give us a nice variety of options up front, and that'll be crucial for the remaining games.

Seeing as we can't spend vast amounts of money on improving the squad I think keeping together what we already have is the priority. Our weaknesses aren't really that weak, even at left back we still have Diallo to come back and challenge Black for his place and at Centre Back we have Tarkowski who we can try to develop as well as having Mvoto and Diamond improving each game. Aside from extending the loans of Simpson, Scapuzzi & Adeyemi, the only other player I'd bring in for squad depth would be Clarke.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it’s awfully quiet on here regarding possible Latics targets?!

Even a few rumours would keep things interesting! where’s Roylearmy when you need him?! B)

I think we've got a decent squad, if not slightly thin in places - surely at least one addition would be welcome? Obviously depending on if we can get the right player in.... there just doesnt seem to be any movement

I wouldn't hold your breath! I think we're doing okay, when you consider our budget. Re-signing Simpson, Adeyemi and Scapuzzi is good enough for me.

Plenty of rumours on here, but many fanciful, the Nicky Hunt one looks interesting though;

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/oldham-rumours.php

Edited by BP1960

I wouldn't hold your breath! I think we're doing okay, when you consider our budget. Re-signing Simpson, Adeyemi and Scapuzzi is good enough for me.

I think this is pretty sensible, lets save whatever else might be in our budget for a rainy day. If we can get Reid fit again then we may as well see how well we can push on this season. I cant see us bringing in anyone who will improve our season dramatically.

I'd have agreed on the extra full-back until I discovered we had signed one anyway. Adeyemi looked decent playing at RB on Friday and Lee played well at LB. CB I'm not sure on as I'd like us to have 4, and although we have Tarky and the likes of Adeyemi and Mellor who could play there in a pinch, I'd like another one. However, CB is a position where you can get someone of the required quality on loan easily.

I'm hoping diallo ( if and when fit ) could be the answer to our left back problem. We are certainly targeted there and at the moment don't appear to have found a long term solution.

Lee played adequately there on friday, but i don't really like the idea of square pegs in round holes.

Reid returning gives us more options up front and providing he hits form again then that will give our striking options a boost.

Diallo's out of contract this month. Haven't heard about him renewing - is he still injured?

I think the Diallo one is an interesting little conundrum for the club.

On the one hand, he's proven to be a bit a glass man. 3 month lay-off with a muscle injury, then 10 minutes into a reserve comeback game; another muscle injury to a different joint / muscle group; that he is still out injured from. Add to that a sending off & subsequent 3 game ban for a sending off. The cold hard facts are that he has been available; injury free & suspension free for 3 or 4 games out of a 6 month contract.

On the other - on those (very) infrequent showing, he has looked to have tonnes of potential, lots of raw talent to work with. We are short in the LB area; Paul Black is 'fine' for me - I know teams have looked to target us down our left; but IMO Black is no worse than most other League 1 Left Back's. Dave Mellor has deputised in there when both Black & Diallo were out injured; but he has looked exactly what he is - namely a very young, very raw midfielder playing out of position, so we lack a depth if Paul Black is out injured and we have to rely on Mellor.

I think that it's going to be worth our while in offering another 6 months to take us through to the end of the season. Hopefully the injuries are soon to be behind him, and he can look to add some real competition to the side at LB; and offer us some versatility on Left wing-back, and (allegedly) across the back 4 also.

I would however fully understand if the club made the call to not renew and release him - finances wise and (management speak alert) there hasn't been any notable R.O.I from him so far……

see what happens end of the month I guess?

I think the Diallo one is an interesting little conundrum for the club.

On the one hand, he's proven to be a bit a glass man. 3 month lay-off with a muscle injury, then 10 minutes into a reserve comeback game; another muscle injury to a different joint / muscle group; that he is still out injured from. Add to that a sending off & subsequent 3 game ban for a sending off. The cold hard facts are that he has been available; injury free & suspension free for 3 or 4 games out of a 6 month contract.

On the other - on those (very) infrequent showing, he has looked to have tonnes of potential, lots of raw talent to work with. We are short in the LB area; Paul Black is 'fine' for me - I know teams have looked to target us down our left; but IMO Black is no worse than most other League 1 Left Back's. Dave Mellor has deputised in there when both Black & Diallo were out injured; but he has looked exactly what he is - namely a very young, very raw midfielder playing out of position, so we lack a depth if Paul Black is out injured and we have to rely on Mellor.

I think that it's going to be worth our while in offering another 6 months to take us through to the end of the season. Hopefully the injuries are soon to be behind him, and he can look to add some real competition to the side at LB; and offer us some versatility on Left wing-back, and (allegedly) across the back 4 also.

I would however fully understand if the club made the call to not renew and release him - finances wise and (management speak alert) there hasn't been any notable R.O.I from him so far……

see what happens end of the month I guess?

Good post. He's done enough to show he's worth keeping on a short term basis, IMO. See how he goes for the rest of the season and throughout pre-season training in the summer and, if he is still struggling to stay fit, then cut him loose.

dont really need to add. get clarke back into the squad, but introduce the youngsters more this 2nd half of the season

It all depends on what we are looking to do in the next few months.

If we are serious about the playoffs then we need a striker - Kuqi looks like he has lost his way and Reid is still not convincing as an 'in the box' striker (unless he takes the penalties).

Real shame that Harry Bunn went to Preston as he would have been ideal imho

It all depends on what we are looking to do in the next few months.

If we are serious about the playoffs then we need a striker - Kuqi looks like he has lost his way and Reid is still not convincing as an 'in the box' striker

I don't think we are anywhere near good enough for the playoffs this year...all about Anfield and most importantly Wembley and the use the extra cash and positive atmosphere to retain this squad and add to it in the summer to make a genuine playoff challenge next season.....simples!!