What are you watching at the moment?

Crusoe

Best BBC series ever. Only seen the first series as the second isn't on Netflix but that was great TV. Except for the Cockney/Brummie accents.

Also trying really hard with True Detective series 2 but it's just really, properly boring and rubbish at the moment. Even in the first series when they were building the story there was a bit of intrigue, this one is very flat and clichéd to me.

It's nowhere near as good as the first one but I'm enjoying it.

You're right it is slow but still very watchable.

I reckon it'll be amazing when it really gets going.....

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started Peaky Blinders today, now on to the second series, it is pretty good! Often said that Britain can't match the US but I would say that Peaky Blinders definitely matches the production values and quality of shows like Boardwalk Empire et al. Very entertaining.

Hmmm.

I'm four episodes in. It's alright but it's blighted by the usual BBC laziness/lack of attention to detail - some of the accents, the turns of phrase that wouldn't have been used in 1919, the rasta!, the music (is it the National?)....

I suppose Grace does make up for all that. I want to cry every time she's on screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
" A lot of people think they know what happened. But they don’t! Anyone who’s ever written a book or made a film about Joy Division, unless they were sat in that van or car with us, they don’t know anything about it"
- Hook

'I don't remember any of this happening'

- DeVoto

24 was a patchwork of urban myths based on a Wilson/Coogan narrative, Morris said it 24 was a bit of fun and called it Carry On Factory Records. In fairness it is a fun film, and I enjoy watching it because it takes me back to my days in the scene. For me it doesn't matter if it's a joke or not. Control isn't entirely truthful either, where 24 is the Factory myth vehicle - Control is Ian Curtis's.

https://hatfulofhistory.wordpress.com/2013/05/19/history-and-the-notion-of-authenticity-in-control-and-24-hour-party-people/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1qQsHGHi8w

The Last Ship is reasonably enjoyable nonsense.

A US Navy ship is sent on a mission to the Arctic for a few months with a scientist on board

Turns out the scientist was trying to develop a cure for a pandemic which killed most of the world while they were there....

The book is great.

The film is offensively :censored:. What did you make of it?

I think I would have liked it more had I not read the book or seen Tom Hardy before - he seems to have started playing Tom Hardy in different accents a lot...

Yeah, a bit :censored:.

HBO or someone could have serialised all the books & it would have been far better - as with most things these days.

The days of good films seem to have gone...

I've just read every page of this thread looking for inspiration. Found some, cheers. One massive problem though. Not ONE SINGLE mention of Suits!?!?!?! If you haven't watched Suits, stop whatever you're doing and watch. Thank me later.

I've just read every page of this thread looking for inspiration. Found some, cheers. One massive problem though. Not ONE SINGLE mention of Suits!?!?!?! If you haven't watched Suits, stop whatever you're doing and watch. Thank me later.

Drawing to end of Homeland, Suits will be next one me & doris watch cheers

Archived