Simon Corney Interview

dare i say it , but i havent been this confident of our chances in quite a few years. dean furman and a fit weselowski could be one of the best pairings in the division , robbie simpson looks on fire and crofty is back , very optimistic.

dare i say it , but i havent been this confident of our chances in quite a few years. dean furman and a fit weselowski could be one of the best pairings in the division , robbie simpson looks on fire and crofty is back , very optimistic.

Thats a cracking backbone to the team - if they could do around 40 games each we should be OK and could surprise.

The problem comes when injuries kick in we just dont have the cover, lets hope for some decent loan signings:)

I agree.

We haven't got a huge amount of depth but I still think we have quite alot of talent and can hopefully suprise a few this year.

Thats a cracking backbone to the team - if they could do around 40 games each we should be OK and could surprise.

The problem comes when injuries kick in we just dont have the cover, lets hope for some decent loan signings:)

Indeed - I said the same the other week. If we keep the spine / core (however you want to describe it) of our big senior players, Cisak, M'Voto, Grounds, Byrne, Wes, Furman, Simpson, Croft fit and out on the pitch, then I think we're looking a match for anyone.

It's whats in reserve that isn't quite as strong. Its also a tad unknown; with the bulk of our reserves basically untested young lads. It might be that when called upon, the likes of Connor Hughes, Kirk Millar et all manage to really step up and deliver.

My concern for this season if for the scenario of 4 or 5 of the 1st team being out at the same time - meaning 4 or 5 of the kids all thrown in together.

If we can get 40-odd games out of our big players, I think we'll be higher than we've been these last 3 seasons.

Nearly ten years as well at the club not bad commitment really.

Not Bad - pulled us out of the fire - almost 10 years at a club - must be losing money - honest and upfront - will never win with the fans until he delivers the treble.

All Respect to Simon - couldn't hope for a better chairman (unless of course is that Arab Sheikh YourMoneyMaker).

Deserves the credit.

True we have a strong starting 11 , but to get success in any league you need a squad which I'm afraid we don't have . We simply wont be able to keep a top 6 charge up playing Saturday Tuesday over winter with the same 11

Dickov’s said it and now Corney’s said it, “the squads not finished yet” followed by - any more players would probably be on loan, and – “before the end of August”. With the increased quality of players signed, it would be likely that any incoming loanee’s would be a notch up in quality from recent seasons. I agree that the squad would still not be adequate in numbers for unforeseen injuries and suspensions but if we were sniffing around the top 6 and entertaining, come Christmas I feel sure Corney would attempt to firm the squad up with quality in January. I am quite upbeat at the moment about the players signed and the lack of any negative publicity towards the plans for the new Broadway development. It would not surprise me if Corney is beginning to press the throttle to push forward with a concerted effort to turn the mediocrity of the last few years into positivity. It is in his own interest, as well as ours, to have a competitive and entertaining team coinciding with any new development. The fans want a winning team and Corney wants to attract investment.

True we have a strong starting 11 , but to get success in any league you need a squad which I'm afraid we don't have . We simply wont be able to keep a top 6 charge up playing Saturday Tuesday over winter with the same 11

A good 1st eleven capable of beating any team in the division or a mediocre squad of players that should keep us in the division.

I know what I would have ....every time!

A good 1st eleven capable of beating any team in the division or a mediocre squad of players that should keep us in the division.

Maybe so but injuries, suspensions, loss of form, fatigue are all going to take their toll at different times of the season.

In recent seasons when we've played huddersfield I don't think many of us have been impressed certainly man for man our first 11 has matched them however if we played our 2nd elevn against their second 11 its no contest and thats why they have been up there and have gone up.

Even at this level football is a squad game now in 06/07 had we had that bit of extra strength in depth we would have gone up automatically. The only time we did have strength in depth was 02/03 we just had a freakish quanity of injuries that season infact we had an entire team out injured at one point.

Trouble is, as soon as the inevitable injuries kick in, it pretty much works out the same.

However so long as the remaining three players are up to the standard of the rest of the team, I think we'll have some reasonable depth. We do need three though. A first choice striker, a first choice left midfielder/left winger and a back up for left back (this would have been Diallo had he signed).

It would be nice to have an additional winger on top of that, since we would be pinning our hopes too much on Kirk Millar and Connor Hughes should anything happen to Croft and the new Left Winger.

To be successful at any sport a little bit of luck is an absolute must, I think we are well overdue our little bit!

Also, as mentioned by other posters a few of the younger lads really could step up to the plate, when the inevitable injuries / suspensions occur. I think Mellor could really surprise this year, he looks a lot stronger!

SC has looked and sounded so much more upbeat and and positive in his last few interviews than for many a year. almost as if he knows something we don't!

Really good to hear him speak so highly of the club and people of our Town even using the L word!

Edited by Keepingthe Faith

Didnt he say he was expecting to announce some new board members August/September. I am sure I recall something in a previous interview a while ago, maybe we have some investment coming which may help the burden he has been shouldering.

But I agree he does sound a lot more positive, I also agree the first eleven appears to be the best we have for some time especially given that we have 2-3 to come in yet that should strengthen us further.

Could well be a good season lets hope we have ironed out those defensive errors, for me though the problem has always appeared to be lack of height/strength at the back.

Too many times we have had docking centre backs and lightweight full backs, which is why I think we conceded a lot from set pieces. Grounds and Byrne are both at least six footers which should help.

Didnt he say he was expecting to announce some new board members August/September. I am sure I recall something in a previous interview a while ago, maybe we have some investment coming which may help the burden he has been shouldering.

But I agree he does sound a lot more positive, I also agree the first eleven appears to be the best we have for some time especially given that we have 2-3 to come in yet that should strengthen us further.

Could well be a good season lets hope we have ironed out those defensive errors, for me though the problem has always appeared to be lack of height/strength at the back.

Too many times we have had docking centre backs and lightweight full backs, which is why I think we conceded a lot from set pieces. Grounds and Byrne are both at least six footers which should help.

Really helps when defending corners