Can Dickov learn his lessons?

Organise them & send them out with some discernible patterns of play

And get rid of the 2 defensive midfielders system, PD is obsessed with it and his reluctance to change could bring about his downfall.

Give a central attacking midfielder the freedom run at defences, one defensive midfielder is enough.

That way we might see a few more goals and a little more entertainment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And get rid of the 2 defensive midfielders system, PD is obsessed with it and his reluctance to change could bring about his downfall.

Give a central attacking midfielder the freedom run at defences, one defensive midfielder is enough.

Are they sent out as defensive midfielders or is that how they play on the pitch.

Should be a 5 man midfield, with Simpson playing the attacking midfield role and given the freedom.

And he's stopped Tarky driving out from defence with it

I'm starting to think that the players have the ability, probably actually are fit enough but the lack of leaders on the pitch looking to do the right thing is causing a problem. Matches seem to be hinge on single events (such as Carl's error last night) and though you'd expect the opposition to get an upturn in confidence from these events, we fall apart completely and don't seem to be able to turn things back around.

Cisak's error v Sheff Wed, Furman's backpass v Walsall & last night all seem to have lead to collapse or a failure to respond. I recommend Eileen Drewery, a lifestyle coach (with a PowerPoint presentation & team exercises) or a Paul McKenna book (to be shared between the squad).

Unfortunately you can only blame the manager when players consistently perform poorly. Simpson is now doing a Kuqi. So much promise and high hopes reduced to performances which leave us all pissed off. We have seen good performances from all these players but the sum of the parts has given us a very poor 2012. You could live with such a poor start if we finished last season well. Our reasonable expectation is that it isn't going to get better and clearly this is relegation form. The sentence for season ticket holders this season, from a group of players that I think could keep us up, is a demoralising, frustrating series of (your own word here). Dickov might make a good manager one day but it looks like this attempt has failed. Judging by Chesterfield we would do better with no manager!

Unfortunately you can only blame the manager when players consistently perform poorly. Simpson is now doing a Kuqi. So much promise and high hopes reduced to performances which leave us all pissed off. We have seen good performances from all these players but the sum of the parts has given us a very poor 2012. You could live with such a poor start if we finished last season well. Our reasonable expectation is that it isn't going to get better and clearly this is relegation form. The sentence for season ticket holders this season, from a group of players that I think could keep us up, is a demoralising, frustrating series of (your own word here). Dickov might make a good manager one day but it looks like this attempt has failed. Judging by Chesterfield we would do better with no manager!

=======================

I have now lost faith in PD's ability to turn things around.

His tactical knowledge is so low for a manager that non league managers could outwit him at half time.

Time and time again Latics perform creditably in the first half , then in the second the other manager makes a tactical change and PD either can't see it or do anything to counteract it.

When he does see what's happening by the time he changes things they have scored at least one goal.

It is now happening for too often and he shows no sign of changing or getting to grips with it.

Sorry PD but i have supported you upto now but when a second half collapse has happened so many time this season alone it is obvious he has learnt little.

Everybody called big Ronnie Moore but look at the Bin dippers and i bet that he would have our lot in the top 6.

Time for change before we get too far down in the mire and gates are hitting 2000 because that's where they are heading under PD.

So, think it's pretty safe to say that it's yet to click (for want of a better word) this season; and given the shabby end to last season also; it really doesn't look too good.

I try to see the positives in terms of Latics, off-setting everything with a heavy dose of realism (or try too at least) - but I can't help but think Dickov signed his own P45 when he came out and said 'judge me after 10 games'.

So, doing just that - with a big slice of realism:

Game 1 - cracking 1st half performance - exactly the type of show we want to see, and then a shambolic capitulation in the 2nd, a failiure to react to the opposition manager's changes, allied to a shocking subsitution and change to 3 at the back; shipping 4 weak goals.

Game 2 - 2-0 away loss at a promotion favourite. 2 goals shipped, 1 from a poorly defended set piece, 1 from a counter-attack direct from our corner.

Game 3 - 1 all draw with a similar side who in reality, at home, we should be looking to beat. Individual error again costing us, but worrying lack of creativity shown again.

Game 4 - again, individual errors costing us poor a goal, and a change in formation to a 4-5-1 at home was a mistake IMO.

Game 5 - the first win, and a good 0-1 away win - but it must be noted at a side who are all over the place and who we should have beaten more comfortably in reality, taking an own goal to do it too.

Game 6 - losing in a Cup competition the manager went on record as saying he wanted to win, to a struggling; managerless side from the bottom of the division below; again to errors gifting goals, and again showning a worrying lack of creativity.

That leaves 4 more games vs Notts County, Scunthorpe, Brentford & Covernty before the magic 'judge me moment' arrives on the 29th September at 5.55pm.

Come then - who know's? We could suddenly click, PD could turn it around and we've picked up 9-12 points and are now sitting pretty in the league. But, and this is with no sense enjoyment at all typing this, I can see us sitting only a few more points, 1 or 2 more, than as we currently are after those 4 games, and if that does turn out to be the case - PD will be putting his stuff into a cardboard box and driving away for good IMO.

So, think it's pretty safe to say that it's yet to click (for want of a better word) this season; and given the shabby end to last season also; it really doesn't look too good.

I try to see the positives in terms of Latics, off-setting everything with a heavy dose of realism (or try too at least) - but I can't help but think Dickov signed his own P45 when he came out and said 'judge me after 10 games'.

Game 1 - cracking 1st half performance - exactly the type of show we want to see, and then a shambolic capitulation in the 2nd, a failiure to react to the opposition manager's changes, allied to a shocking subsitution and change to 3 at the back; shipping 4 weak goals.

Game 2 - 2-0 away loss at a promotion favourite. 2 goals shipped, 1 from a poorly defended set piece, 1 from a counter-attack direct from our corner.

Game 3 - 1 all draw with a similar side who in reality, at home, we should be looking to beat. Individual error again costing us, but worrying lack of creativity shown again.

Game 4 - again, individual errors costing us poor a goal, and a change in formation to a 4-5-1 at home was a mistake IMO.

Game 5 - the first win, and a good 0-1 away win - but it must be noted at a side who are all over the place and who we should have beaten more comfortably in reality, taking an own goal to do it too.

Game 6 - losing in a Cup competition the manager went on record as saying he wanted to win, to a struggling; managerless side from the bottom of the division below; again to errors gifting goals, and again showning a worrying lack of creativity.

That leaves 4 more games vs Notts County, Scunthorpe, Brentford & Covernty before the magic 'judge me moment' arrives on the 29th September at 5.55pm.

Come then - who know's? We could suddenly click, PD could turn it around and we've picked up 9-12 points and are now sitting pretty in the league. But, and this is with no sense enjoyment at all typing this, I can see us sitting only a few more points, 1 or 2 more, than as we currently are after those 4 games, and if that does turn out to be the case - PD will be putting his stuff into a cardboard box and driving away for good IMO.

Yes but it's not just a case of 10 games , look at his record over his time at BP.

Started off great like a breath of fresh air and the first 6 months were brilliant (especially compared to Penny).

Since then it has been a steady fall littered with the same mistakes time and time again ,

Learning nothing as he goes along .

We are now at the point where the entertainment value is on a par with Penny and i never ever thought i would say that agian.

I have been a S/T holder for 45 years and have been through some bad times.

However , 5 game into a season and for the first time ever i regret getting a S/T.

He's had more than 10 games to show he has the ability to be a good manager.

Sadly he hasn't and it's time to move on.

I think it's a sign of how irrelevant I think the League Cup and JPT are that I viewed the 10 games as being solely league games. But as you say Dickov has placed enough importance on those games that he should be judged on those too. 4 more games will probably be enough to see where we are going while still giving Dickov the time to turn it around.

Actually to go even further I think the scenario has been altered by the Doncaster postponement. One of the things about the 1st ten games is that were meant to come thick and fast, meaning there would not be a lot of time to make major changes through training and any fixes made to the team would have to be gradual, but this 11 day 'break' offers Dickov a chance to make enough of an impact on the squad to show that he has them going in the right direction when we play Notts County. The more I think about it, the more I think that the next game will be the pivotal one for Dickov.

I think it's a sign of how irrelevant I think the League Cup and JPT are that I viewed the 10 games as being solely league games. But as you say Dickov has placed enough importance on those games that he should be judged on those too. 4 more games will probably be enough to see where we are going while still giving Dickov the time to turn it around.

Actually to go even further I think the scenario has been altered by the Doncaster postponement. One of the things about the 1st ten games is that were meant to come thick and fast, meaning there would not be a lot of time to make major changes through training and any fixes made to the team would have to be gradual, but this 11 day 'break' offers Dickov a chance to make enough of an impact on the squad to show that he has them going in the right direction when we play Notts County. The more I think about it, the more I think that the next game will be the pivotal one for Dickov.

Go to agree with that.

The break gives time to work on things.

The worry is that it was the enforced break in Dec 2010 to Jan 11 that we really sunk, and have not steadily improved since then, only a few highlights on the way.

I am not really a Dickov outer, but we seem to make 1 step forward, 1 step back.

Lets hope the break does wonders for everyone.

Go to agree with that.

The worry is that it was the enforced break in Dec 2010 to Jan 11 that we really sunk, and have not steadily improved since then, only a few highlights on the way.

I am not really a Dickov outer, but we seem to make 1 step forward, 1 step back.

sadly, I don't think it will.

when have we ever done anything coming back from a break? (EDIT: like you said)

we were looking great before all the postponements in his first season then the momentum was lost and the wheels fell off big time.

playing the next game quickly is the best way to bounce back.

i think Corney will be mindful of this and Notts County won't be as pivotal as we think.

that and the Scunthorpe game as a pair though might well be.

Edited by HarryBosch

I think it would be a case of us having nothing to lose by changing managers. Then again if Phil Brown is being mooted as a replacement then we'd have a LOT to lose!

Also have to agree I like what he is trying to do but same old mistakes and same old excuses - do we get rid or do we hire a director of football (Big Joe?) - to teach and advise - think it may be a case of see what you can do until end of September and if it still is not working a new approach is needed - do like PD and what he wishes to try and do but same old same old things keep happening for too long does not seem to learn from it at some time you have to cut your losses.

Edited by Stoney

Disagree with this. There won't be many sides who win at Pompey this season.

=======================

I have now lost faith in PD's ability to turn things around.

His tactical knowledge is so low for a manager that non league managers could outwit him at half time.

Time and time again Latics perform creditably in the first half , then in the second the other manager makes a tactical change and PD either can't see it or do anything to counteract it.

When he does see what's happening by the time he changes things they have scored at least one goal.

It is now happening for too often and he shows no sign of changing or getting to grips with it.

Sorry PD but i have supported you upto now but when a second half collapse has happened so many time this season alone it is obvious he has learnt little.

Everybody called big Ronnie Moore but look at the Bin dippers and i bet that he would have our lot in the top 6.

Time for change before we get too far down in the mire and gates are hitting 2000 because that's where they are heading under PD.

Maybe thats because he looks to be spending more time arguing with the 4th official than watching the game.

Go to agree with that.

But if they lose the excuse will be they are 'rusty', lacking match practice.

Edited by BP1960

I think it would be a case of us having nothing to lose by changing managers. Then again if Phil Brown is being mooted as a replacement then we'd have a LOT to lose!

What's so wrong with Phil Brown? He got Hull promoted, which is more than any manager has done for us in the last 20 years.

What's so wrong with Phil Brown? He got Hull promoted, which is more than any manager has done for us in the last 20 years.

I like that, ignore his relegation from the PRem with Hull, and his relgation to League One with Preston.

Which is exactly what has happened to us in the past 20 years.

I think even you or I could have got Hull promted with the money they had.

I like that, ignore his relegation from the PRem with Hull, and his relgation to League One with Preston.

Which is exactly what has happened to us in the past 20 years.

I think even you or I could have got Hull promted with the money they had.

Promotion then two relegations.. He's due another promotion then?

On the other hand Yeovil have started like a train, they won again tonight 3 v 0 at Bristol Rovers had a man sent off and scored two goals with only 10 men!! They have scored a shed load of goals away from home already and it just goes to show if your team plays to it's strengths, with the right application and good coaching, you can still have success even without much money!

I didn't go tonight but as soon as Chesterfield scored we seemed to fall apart. It's not just the defence that has problems going off the commentary we could and should have been 2 or 3 goals in front by HT but whilst we are letting in silly goals at our end at the business end we are still missing chances, it's a recipe for disaster but it's been happening for far too long now!!!

Success? They've won a few games at the start of the season. There's always one side who starts like a train against all the odds and falls away.