• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really interested in seeing what Westley has to say!

They deserved to get beat and it's his fault because he picked the wrong XI.. if he'd have picked the right XI they would have won (preston fans seem to agree)... also thought they should have had a penalty

They deserved to get beat and it's his fault because he picked the wrong XI.. if he'd have picked the right XI they would have won (preston fans seem to agree)... also thought they should have had a penalty

The right XI would have been Barcelona's.

:grin: ......Why?..Have they got another XI then ?

OMG what a moron he thinks he's Alex Ferguson!

Can't belive how poor Preston were.

Still what fun did we have mocking him in the main stand.

Mr Anti-Football got his come uppance today, glad I'm not a PNE fan, dark times for them methinks

We haven't had a slope at BP since the Plastic Pitch was installed, when the base was levelled thus the very apparent sloping Broadway Side….

I was told a slope was still there whilst on a tour of the club a few weeks ago and that this was why there was still a preference to be kicking down it in the second half. Whether looking at the huge differences in the pillars within the remnants of the Lookers stand persuaded me as to how significant it was, I don't know, but it didn't seem to be even. (Nor was I wearing a pair of Jenny W's heels at the time)

I was told a slope was still there whilst on a tour of the club a few weeks ago and that this was why there was still a preference to be kicking down it in the second half. Whether looking at the huge differences in the pillars within the remnants of the Lookers stand persuaded me as to how significant it was, I don't know, but it didn't seem to be even. (Nor was I wearing a pair of Jenny W's heels at the time)

There is still a slope to the pitch. Prior to the plastic going down it was 6 foot from the RRE to the CRE. This was too steep fr a plastic pitch and was halved so there is still a 3 foot slope

There was a significant slope pre-1986, once the artificial pitch was laid the playing surface was level, thus highlighting the sloping Broadway Stand, I suppose there may be a minimal slope now, but nothing like it was.

Just consulted my source, and you are right, the gradient was initially 6' 4 1/2" and the Plastic Pitch and supporting works halved the gradient.

SOURCE: img1698ib.jpg

Beckett, Stewart W. Keeping The Dream Alive (Manchester: Comprehensive Art Services, 1991)

There is still a slope to the pitch. Prior to the plastic going down it was 6 foot from the RRE to the CRE. This was too steep fr a plastic pitch and was halved so there is still a 3 foot slope

Cheers Harry, just consulted Stewart Beckett and it confirms the same, I knew i'd read something about the Plastic reducing it...

There was a significant slope pre-1986, once the artificial pitch was laid the playing surface was level, thus highlighting the sloping Broadway Stand, I suppose there may be a minimal slope now, but nothing like it was.

Just consulted my source, and you are right, the gradient was initially 6' 4 1/2" and the Plastic Pitch and supporting works halved the gradient.

SOURCE: img1698ib.jpg

Super Ron futcher,happy days........

Beckett, Stewart W. Keeping The Dream Alive (Manchester: Comprehensive Art Services, 1991)

I've just had a look around on Twitter at some of the comments PNE fans made.

Quite a few genuinely said, "They drowned the pitch at half time so we couldn't play football" - Sounds like excuses to me. Something that Westley would say, in fact. Now I don't know if I watched the same football match as them, but we played some lovely football on the ground, demonstrated by Montano's goal.

I think its time we stopped saying how poor we thought Preston were and how underwhelmed we were at Crewe's team, but instead, recognise how good we were.

Edited by NewBlue

And they're unbeaten this season, Furman will be a loss but if we can keep the pressing high tempo we've had over the last two games then we've half a chance. Sheff Utd will also be wary of pushing on too much after we did them on the break for goals two and three last season...

Who replaces Furball? M'Changama, Baxter and bring Simpson back in or go for young Mellor?

Edited by oafcprozac

And they're unbeaten this season, Furman will be a loss but if we can keep the pressing high tempo we've had over the last two games then we've half a chance. Sheff Utd will also be wary of pushing on too much after we did them on the break for goals two and three last season...

Who replaces Furball? M'Changama, Baxter and bring Simpson back in or go for young Mellor?

It'll be Comoros. He came on yesterday and he's as similar to Furman out of the options in looking to get forward and hassling. He'd mean we're as similar to the team in the last two games.

Found this interesting from the PNE forum about what they make of our ground. Funny most latics fans don't feel the same way

As for Boundary Park , its a great place, like several people have said, a blast from the past, bags of character, once grounds like this have gone forever football will be a poorer place. Next league away game is at Scunthorpes new antiseptic arena. I know which I prefer.

Found this interesting from the PNE forum about what they make of our ground. Funny most latics fans don't feel the same way

As for Boundary Park , its a great place, like several people have said, a blast from the past, bags of character, once grounds like this have gone forever football will be a poorer place. Next league away game is at Scunthorpes new antiseptic arena. I know which I prefer.

To be honest, I like the look of Boundary Park when you see the 3 stands without that gaping area where the Lookers used to be. When the new stand is built, which I hope will blend in aestethically, with some character to the others it will be a good ground. I'd rather have the current 3 stands and then a new one in the gap than have Colchester's or Chesterfield's or Crewe's or Shrewsbury's lifeless stadiums.

I'd probably say the same if I didn't have to sit there every other week...

It'll retain its character with a fourth stand, hoping for some news soon.

I was always under the impression that the spraying of water on the pitch enhanced the balls ability to zip across it at pace. Of course a waterlogged pitch would stop the ball rolling.....but do we waterlog it? I doubt that very much.

I was always under the impression that the spraying of water on the pitch enhanced the balls ability to zip across it at pace. Of course a waterlogged pitch would stop the ball rolling.....but do we waterlog it? I doubt that very much.

Waterlogging lol. So since the new pitch went down over 10 years ago how many games have been called off because of a waterlogged pitch? Zero

Doesnt reall make sense. A fan leaves early .....so misses the finish because latics fans already coming out of the Grey Mare some way off before the game finished and causing trouble. Really?

somebody replied with this message -

'is this when all the police cars came? some of that lot hadn't even come from the ground, there was a mob coming down the main road, from the town centre direction looking for Preston fans. we were walking back to the car with the 5 year old Grandson when one shouted "OI Preston" in the direction of a small group, I kept my trap shut, so they wouldnt get the accent, worst thing is we were in that pub before the match.' mad.png

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?76197-Oldham-My-view

I don't think most PNE fans feel the same way but quite nice to read that comment. Their forum has been largely dismissive of us and given us no credit. Lots of comments along the lines of "we've lost to a poor Oldham side".

Hopefully a lot more clubs will be saying the same thing, starting with Sheff U!