PD wants to keep Baxter, Derbyshire & Wabara

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look through and ive seen his misses had a baby 3 weeks premature and wasn't allowed out of the hospital for a few days, I presume it is this he's on about

Yep. Don't think baby Derbyshire was allowed home for a few days after his missus was allowed home either.

“Our fundamentals are working hard,” said striker Matt Derbyshire, who plays his last game against Swindon before heading back to Forest.

“If we keep on playing as we have been doing in the last few weeks, we will not have a problem in moving up the division.”

taken from the chron, sounds to me like he's planning on being here for the rest of the season

“Our fundamentals are working hard,” said striker Matt Derbyshire, who plays his last game against Swindon before heading back to Forest.

“If we keep on playing as we have been doing in the last few weeks, we will not have a problem in moving up the division.”

taken from the chron, sounds to me like he's planning on being here for the rest of the season

I wouldnt read too much into that. Just the normal thing to say

Baxter wants to stay:

Jose Baxter has reiterated his desire to stay at Boundary Park as talks to keep the mercurial striker at the club continue.

The in-demand former Everton starlet has been a revelation since signing a short-term contract and is Latics’ top scorer with eight goals.

His deal expires in mid-January and fans are desperate to see the ink dry on a new deal.

And boss Paul Dickov has told the Advertiser that 20-year-old Baxter has once more revealed he feels the same way.

"Jose has given us another indication that he wants to stay," he said. "He believes this is the place where he wants to play football."

Dickov added that crunch talks are due shortly and that Baxter’s dad – who ferries him to and from training from his native Merseyside – is in Athletic’s corner.

"We’ll sit down again soon," he said. "We want him to stay – he knows that. The good thing is that his dad has a big say and he sees how much he enjoys himself here every day."

Another man fans want to see extend his spell is Baxter’s strike partner Matt Derbyshire.

He is a close second on six goals but will be leaving for at least two weeks following Saturday’s home clash with Paolo Di Canio’s Swindon Town when his loan spell from FA Cup Third Round opponents Nottingham Forest expires.

"We would love Matt to stay," said Dickov. "I will save the embarrassment of asking Forest if he can play in the FA Cup but we are hopeful he will come back.

"If Matt doesn’t want to or if they don’t want him to we have to be able to bring someone else in and we have to be prepared for that."

Reece Wabara, the on-loan Manchester City defender who was excelled at right-back and centre-half, is due back at the Etihad on January 5. And Dickov revealed he also wants the pacy 20-year-old to stay.

He added that he is relishing Saturday’s clash with the Italian’s side, who sit in eighth spot and have already won five times on the road.

"Paolo has had quite a bit of money to spend but you need to spend it well and he has," he said.

"It will be a good game. They are playing well at the moment and look to play football. We are flying so I am really looking forward to it."

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/oldham_athletic/s/1596025_jose-baxter-i-want-to-stay-at-boundary-park

In today's interviews PD seems pretty confident he will keep all 3 because the players have told him they want to stay. However in Derbyshire's interview he clearly says "If nothing permanent comes off then I would be happy to stay". Maybe Forest would lend him back on the same terms in January, but could still sell him within the transfer window. If he wants Championship football, he may think it would be better for him to be loaned to a club in the Championship and try to impress at that level..

In today's interviews PD seems pretty confident he will keep all 3 because the players have told him they want to stay. However in Derbyshire's interview he clearly says "If nothing permanent comes off then I would be happy to stay". Maybe Forest would lend him back on the same terms in January, but could still sell him within the transfer window. If he wants Championship football, he may think it would be better for him to be loaned to a club in the Championship and try to impress at that level..

If Forest loan him to us for the rest of the season, I don't think they can sell him to someone else in the same transfer window. However, what we could do is agree in principle a loan transfer for the rest of the season but not sign, seal and deliver it until the last day or two of the window. Realistically that will be as good as we can do.

Call me pessimistic but ive written Derbs off. His latest comments indicate he wants a permanent move and there will be plenty of takers for him.

totally agree, the way ive heard dickov speak about it you'd think its almost nailed on, but in that interview he pretty much said he'll only come here if nothing permanent comes off.

As a matter of interest i wonder how much forest will want for him ?

Edited by 4froale

Leon Clarke would be lovely for Croft and Montano.

Hope he comes.

Ryan Lowe is frequently mentioned. I've done it myself. But I'm beginning to doubt how he will fit into the system. Baxter needs a fast player to thread passes to, is he quick enough at 34 years old? Not sure, doubt it.

His form isn't very good either, having been playing in this league he's not been scoring goals.

Any alternatives? I wouldn't be surprised if we took a player like Derbyshire on loan but to be fair to Dickov he's pulled off a few coups, especially strikers, in the past couple of years. Kuqi and Derbyshire being the big ones.

I trust him.

I agree.

A contract until the end of the season seems feasible to me.

I hope so. Just think there will be a queue of clubs with more money than us waiting who can pay far more than us. He wants security, that means 2-3 year deal.

Edited by welshgaz

Why wouldn't he include a perm move to Latics in what he says?. It's feasible providing Forest pay off a sizable chunk of his contract.

I reckon he's still hopeful of a championship club and would still get more money elsewhere, as well as a longer term deal (which we just don't offer).

That he said, he looks very happy. He's had a crap time at Birmingham and Forest and it might make more sense to just be where you're content for a while. Same for Baxter.

Happy club! Well done PD??

Why wouldn't he include a perm move to Latics in what he says?. It's feasible providing Forest pay off a sizable chunk of his contract.

He can do better tbf.

If he finds another club, then fair enough, the loan move will have been beneficial to both parties. He was never going to sign permanently, even if we scrape a fee together we can't give him wages or the prospects Sheff Utd can.