Sacked in the morning?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly for him the cup success might have given Corney the money he needs to make a change and pay for a couple of loan players. The time is right for us and two FA cup wins will look good on his CV. A shame but it makes the league 1 performance look worse because we know what this group of players are capable of.

This is pissing me off royally. For weeks and months on here and Twitter, people have been saying he should go and been quite aggressive about it. I've read stat after stat about how awful he's been; how tactically inept he is and how he's failing to pick the right players. Now many of the same people are saying that he should stay for longer because of one result. It's really pathetic. If your view us that he should go because of the direction the club is going then why prolong it? That same reaction is the knee jerk one that you've been having when we've surrendered to another crappy League One team. If you have a view that you feel like sharing with the rest if the world, fine but be consistent with it ffs.

I've never been a Dickov outer - never voted for him to go in a poll. I have no idea what he tells the players and why they don't respond. I also don't know who could get more out of them or even if anybody could. I pretty much can take him leaving or going - I just want my team to get better results going forward and give something approaching the kind of performance I saw yesterday on a more regular basis.

Yesterday was the first game I have seen in a long time... So I can't offer any real assessment of the side...

By the facts remain the same don't they... No money...

What else can another manager do? I don't know... He seems to be performing a miracle keep us out of te relegatin zone alone....

Basically if he is to stay then he needs a expericenced Assistant - not one of his mates or a yes man - some one who will put him right on the tatics - some one that when things need changes tells him and some one he respects and he will follow so maybe an ex manager of his.

(I admit I am one of the those that think he has had enough time and this is now his team his signings - so he has no excuses for the results - even after yesterday).

I think we'll know for sure by Yeovil in 8 days time, possibly by next weekend.

To get to the hallowed 50 points mark we need 8 wins from the last 17 games, so while Dickov has earned a small chance to turn things around he won't get another unless there are sustained signs of improvement.

i thought yesterday was fantastic, havent enjoyed a home game like that for a long long time. But today is back to reality and i think despite the result yesterday dickov should still go. One point above the drop says it all and what happens if we get beat at walsall next week? we could be in the drop zone come next saturday, would his job be safe then?.

This is pissing me off royally. For weeks and months on here and Twitter, people have been saying he should go and been quite aggressive about it. I've read stat after stat about how awful he's been; how tactically inept he is and how he's failing to pick the right players. Now many of the same people are saying that he should stay for longer because of one result. It's really pathetic. If your view us that he should go because of the direction the club is going then why prolong it? That same reaction is the knee jerk one that you've been having when we've surrendered to another crappy League One team. If you have a view that you feel like sharing with the rest if the world, fine but be consistent with it ffs.

I've never been a Dickov outer - never voted for him to go in a poll. I have no idea what he tells the players and why they don't respond. I also don't know who could get more out of them or even if anybody could. I pretty much can take him leaving or going - I just want my team to get better results going forward and give something approaching the kind of performance I saw yesterday on a more regular basis.

I agree - people are fickle.

I think he should have gone when the timing was right (after the Crewe game or Bournemouth, maybe), but to sack him after beating Liverpool would be ridiculous. As Corney says, hopefully this will kick-start us in the league. If it doesn't then he has to go, but he gets two more league games for me.

I certainly don't buy this 'give him until February/x amount of games' malarkey. Don't think the club can afford any half measures here. The time has come (in my opinion it came a while back) to stick or twist.

Corney needs to make a decision now, either get rid now and give a new man a proper crack at keeping the club in League 1, or give Dickov until the end of the season come what may, let him bring in new backroom staff and a couple of signings, then review the situation in May.

Whilst I don't want to put a dampener on the fantastic efforts and result achieved yesterday, the cold harsh truth is it will count for jack :censored: if come August, 2300 fans are watching Oldham Athletic come out of the tunnel for the first game of the NPower League 2 season against Barnet.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Ah well PD is going to scrape through probably to the end of the season if he can get these lads who like him so much to put in half the effort they did yesterday in a league game. I take nothing away from yesterday but I want my tomorrow to be good as well. Looks to me like he has to get some wins before the Everton game.

Edited by Hands on

Don't know if this has been posted, but according to Sporting Life website, Dickov safe for now!

http://www.sportingl...-the-time-being

Sorry, see that this has been reported already, several times!!!! Heads not the best this morning.....come on Oldham!!

Edited by wiggy0406

Corney has said:

“Paul is staying, but we have to take it on a game by game basis. If we get beaten 5-0 at Walsall and then draw at home to Yeovil in our next two games it would be two points from 30. Football is a results driven business, we all know that, and things need to change.”

So a heavy defeat at Walsall would not be the final straw, but only drawing at home next Tuesday might be.

Corney has said:

“Paul is staying, but we have to take it on a game by game basis. If we get beaten 5-0 at Walsall and then draw at home to Yeovil in our next two games it would be two points from 30. Football is a results driven business, we all know that, and things need to change.”

So a heavy defeat at Walsall would not be the final straw, but only drawing at home next Tuesday might be.

Quite clear (strangely after all the piss poor results Corney's only come out publicly after a great win) he's on borrowed time. Reading between the lines, we're just waiting for the next :censored: up to get rid. Pointless. Base the decision on the last 2 and a half years and the football being served weekly and there's only one option.

Watching the game back, Dickov looked close to tears when either the second or the third went in and it re-emphasised why people have got time for him (I had an hour of thinking he might be the right man). No room for sentiment though and Dickov's likeability is just prolonging the inevitable. He's better than that, sack him with a valid explanation (1 result doesn't change that) and give him the opportunity to start again on the back of a good FA Cup run.

Corney's tried to be vague in that statement but it's quite clear he's a dead man walking.