Top Posters In This Topic

Crewe - Mate is a Crewe fan

Everton - as above (different mate)

Hibs - Latics links and I now live on Easter Rd

Groningen - Shared a flat with a Dutch girl who was a fan for a while

Atletico Madrid - Above flat share was in Madrid where I studied briefly

Eintracht Frankfurt - first German love from a young age

St. Pauli - truly in love with their fan base and out of political reasons

Celtic - I just can't bring myself to the blue side on this one, no massive love for them

Union Berlin - love their mino stadium and again I'm not a fan of Hertha's blue side (sick of seeing how much it's promoted on every corner)

Livorno - Amazing fans, full-on ideology

After visiting a friend in Germany (in 1991) had the good fortune to visit a German Bundesliga game Karlsruhe have sine played Eintracht Frankfurt and hammered them 4 - 1. The atmosphere was unlike any I had witnessed before (or since) and is one game I will always remember.

Karlsruhe have had lots of financial problems since those heady days of rhe Bundesliga and are now in the third tier of German football and are currently top of 3 Liga.

Farsley Celtic as lived near the ground for last 20 yrs until recently. And Rayo Vallecanio when lived in Madrid (95-89) - small club in lower division (then) in shadow of giant clubs, financially challenged, three sided ground, small but passionately loyal fans.....sound familiar?!

If anyone then Palace as I went to watch them a few times when I lived in the smoke and have been to see them a few times since. I'll smile if I see they've won but couldn't care less if they've lost.

Edited by jsslatic

Ayr utd, I live a mile from the ground and much like Latics a small lower league club with 2 big teams from the big city close by (rangers, Celtic).

You very rarely see Ayr tops around only the other 2 although I did once see the man who sells cheap toys on the street in a Latics shirt!!! How excited I got!

Accrington Stanley – my first visit to Boundary Park was against them in 1955. I was going to the flics with some mates and instead we jumped on a football special bus from up the side of the Paragon on King St. I was hooked. I soon realised that Stanley were good and we were bobbins. I don’t have a fondness for Stanley because it was my first game, I remember thinking their name was cool and it’s never worn off. Awwwww!

AC Meelan

Most of my favourite (non-Latics) footballers have played there at one point or another over the past decade. Maldini, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Rui Costa etc etc etc...

This, almost exactly

Bolton - my dad's team

Hibs - used to live 2 mins from ground

Eintracht Frankfurt - German exchange

Newcastle - Uni friends

Grimsby Town, mainly due to some lads I know from an online indie forum going back ten years now. They also write for Cod Almighty so enjoy reading about them.

Sunderland. This is pretty recent, but we met a couple on our honeymoon from up there. And I never really 'like' any Premiership sides so I've started rooting for them.

Avai FC. Brazilian side based in the southern city of Florinópolis. A lad I used to know way back in the 90's now lives over there and follows them home and away. They remind me a bit like Oldham back in the late 80's and early 90's - punching above their weight in the top division.

Luch Energia Vladivostock. Basically because of this story on Wikipedia!

I hope to do the Trans Siberian and possibly watch Luch this summer if all goes to plan :)

Always liked Newcastle United. Started supporting them a bit as a kid. Been to a few games. At St James and the odd away game. At Blackburn and Wigan. Didn't follow them much in the championship (glory supporter) ;-) Not that arsed about them now.

Nothing compares to supporting your home team though. It's a shame more of the kids around oldham don't realise this. That crazy shocked happy feeling almost crying when we beat Liverpool. Scoring in the last second vs everton. Never in a million years did I see that coming.

Everton (Mate used to support them in Primary school - yes that wasn't that long ago - stemmed from there)

Blackpool (Their time in the premierleague made me like them more - always wanted them to win!)

Burton Albion (Don't know why - always liked them, they always seemed to be an up and coming non-league team since we played them in 02/03)

Rochdale (Again, abit of a weird one really - always want them to do well (when they're not in our league) local derbies are good with them, but i like to see them doing something, yes - weird)

Torquay (Don't quite know why, just always liked them really)

------- Teams i always look out for ---------

Manchester teams

Leicester

Blackpool

Rochdale

Bury

I've had soft spots for various teams that mates/housemates have supported but the main two teams are the places I've lived: Exeter, where I grew up and who my brother supports, and Gloucester, who have been my current local team for the last 3.5 years. Many of my family from around Manchester are City and United fans (Dad is a Latic) but I've never really had any interest in following a Prem team.

Groningen - Shared a flat with a Dutch girl who was a fan for a while

I met some Groningen fans over in Amsterdam, friendly bunch. They had an absolute nightmare trying to teach me how to properly pronounce Groningen though. I swear it isn't possible for anyone but the Dutch. I also attempted to teach them the I'm a bastard song, which was met with bewilderment and the reply "Why would you chant a song calling yourself a bastard?".

Actually now I think about it, I follow NAC Breda's results too, as one of my best mates is from there.