Mergamatic: Lee Johnson Confirmed Thread

None of whom were appointed in the middle of a relegation battle.

Granted, however there is no guarantee that a rookie will take us down and there is certainly no guarantee that a more expensive, experienced manager would keep us up. There's no question this is a gamble, we just have to hope it's one that pays off.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest, im actually looking forward to seeing us under Johnson. His philosophy feels right for us and his lifelong association to the game can only be a benefit!

Lee Johnson's Barmy Army.

Strangely I feel that way too and am really looking forward to tomorrow

Initially I felt he wouldn't know enough about the players to put his own team out, but if he's seen us 5/6 times and already taken one session then he should have some idea about who his preferred 11 are. I would expect Smith to start

Will be interesting.

COYB!

Last time we were in a similar position with a manager taking over from a TP caretaker stint and in the :censored: was when Moore was appointed.

At the time it gave us some hope - he had a track record with little money at Rotherham, had a style which we knew would be ugly but would give us a chance of results and then we got Beckett in on loan.

This time, Johnson has no track record and we don't know his style, but will there be a Luke-esque signing this time around? Answers on a postcard from NYC please, with a cheque or white flag enclosed.

needs to get a good response from the players for the next two games. Anything but six points and he might have to start preparing for League Two. I think it could work, if he gets his experienced number 2 in, he could be an improvement on what Dickov was.

Also... his twitter name is @LDJhepingping... wasn't He Ping Ping the worlds shortest man a couple of years ago? Anyone who appreciates that little fella is good in my book. Good luck Lee

Came across well and im glad he can see there is issues and didnt just say things like we are unlucky

Im excited and scared but without someone in charge we were going down so hopefully he will give us a fighting chance and its still in Johnson's hands

I am 100% behind him even if still confused why it wasnt an experienced man to plug the gap until the summer

I wonder if he applied elsewhere as well i.e Notts County who also went inexperienced in Kiyomia, although the challenge for LJ is much much bigger here

SC: "my gut feeling is that we have made the right choice."

Phew!

SC: "I would like to think we are the stepping stone for Lee to go on to greater things which I believe he will."

What about the club Simon? What about us? OAFC? In the space of a week we're told Furman deserves his opportunity and now the new manager will go on to better things. I couldn't care less about better things, Simon. Let's better ourselves.

Bit of a taboo in football isn't it, accepting that a manager or player may "go on to better things".

Thing is, if he is to be a long term success at a higher level then I think he needs to have lower level success early on, and that means tangible progress over a few seasons. If he does that then good for him, and more importantly, good for us.

SC: "my gut feeling is that we have made the right choice."

Phew!

SC: "I would like to think we are the stepping stone for Lee to go on to greater things which I believe he will."

What about the club Simon? What about us? OAFC? In the space of a week we're told Furman deserves his opportunity and now the new manager will go on to better things. I couldn't care less about better things, Simon. Let's better ourselves.

"There is a well known phrase in football that if you are young enough, you are good enough which applies on the field.

Isn't it 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'?

"There is a well known phrase in football that if you are young enough, you are good enough which applies on the field.

Isn't it 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'?

More cricket than football I'd have thought? I can certainly hear Yorkshire wife-beater Geoffrey Boycott saying, "Good enough is old enough."

Bit of a taboo in football isn't it, accepting that a manager or player may "go on to better things".

Thing is, if he is to be a long term success at a higher level then I think he needs to have lower level success early on, and that means tangible progress over a few seasons. If he does that then good for him, and more importantly, good for us.

You make a very valid, fair point garcon. I just wish Simon didn't use the unveiling of a new manager to talk about said manager leaving us!

Age doesn't come into this. The will to win and a desire to be well prepared is more of an option for me. Once LJ had applied for the job, he watched 6 or 7 of our matches, identified some of what is wrong and where we can be improved. He's done his homework all right. He'd got half his coaching badges in 2009, so I reckon he's got the full set by now. Not bad going for a 31 year old who obviously doesn't just want to fade away after playing. The lad's got his head screwed on. It's not as though he'd only got the idea last week.

Cheap option, a lot of you cry. How the feck do you know that? Do you know what money was on the table or what the other 199 applicants were asking for? I doubt it very much. There's so much guess work on here, it's incredible. Things like Corney is going in the summer, new owners will be in this year, Players A, B & C will be gone, Players D, E & F will be offered new contracts, the new stand will never be built and so on ad nauseum. It's conjecture and nothing more, nothing less.

It might be that LJ is just the gaffer we need, so those that are saying they've had it with Latics baffle me, to be honest. "I didn't get who I wanted, so I'm chucking my teddies out and buggering off". How about we get behind LJ and see what he can do. You never know, some might be eating big chunks of humble pie in the not too distant future.

Remember, Karl Robinson 32, AVB 34, Big Joe 33. Didn't turn out too shabby.

Edited by Bristolatic

Ok I know he was slightly older and had one year managing Barcelona B and learned from some top managers but he was put in charge of a huge club with big name personalities and has pretty good success.

Now of course I'm not suggesting Lee is in the same league and boy is he in a completely different one with us, but lets hope he us as appears it is being sold, a strong and confident character who has a vision and knows what he wants and knows how to get there with the resources at hand.

Maybe just maybe we could have something here. And it will be interesting to see his touch line style and the players reactions. We should also try to give him a fair assessment the current pressure of our predicament not withstanding. Hard I know to cheer than boo but we can engender a collective energy as shown in the cup run.

I'm happy to be shot down and he may turn out to be the managerial equivalent of a Michael Knighton but with an optimistic hat I feel hopeful that we will be rubbing our hands about the future by the end of this week.

Then again. I am on medication :)