PITCH ENCROACHMENT AND DAMAGE

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had you two in charge of the stewarding and police, and Help Shiny as Judge, there would be no trouble. But then there would be 5000 extra people digging salt in Siberia ;)

Even if we were LL, salt in Siberia: the 'wyches' are being mined to the max, controlled by the salt companies. ££££££££

As many fans have latched onto, the problem as far as the FA are concerned in that the encroachment occurred during the game. Many refs would prefer not to include in their report but are duty bound to do so.

Mr Madeley our ref today understood the excitement of the occasion but as he says these things are spotted on TV and by other reports. If the ref did not act he would be in serious trouble.

Large sections of the young fans have been troublesome throughout the season and extra work and additional stewarding has been necessary. This comes at a cost.

Some posters on the site have referred to extra stewarding and policing. Believe me that is not a path we want to tread. Money spent in that area affects the playing side of the operation.

Yes I did say the Board would need to review the pricing policy for the younger fans and in particular the £10 ticket. We do not want to dissuade young fans from coming to games but we also have a responsibility to ensure that many other fans have a trouble free afternoon. THe whole area of young fan supervision and who they attend with together with the pricing policy needs to be looked at in the interests of the club and ALL fans.

Barry

PS

Sorry for late post. Just got up for a brew. Can't sleep with the excitment of staying up. lololololol

I don't understand what's wrong with going on the pitch at the end of the season?

Once the final whistle has gone I personally see it as fine. I did it when I was younger, I wouldn't do it now, but if someone wanted to go on, be they 10 or 100, then let them. Humans tend to feel very :censored:ing excited after an entire football season of anticipation watching Latics. It's our club: go and enjoy it!

It's not even like it's just an Oldham thing: clubs from all over the world do it, never mind just Oldham. In 20 years time, I bet any money that standing up at matches will face these sort of problems.

The Crawley coach thing though is ridiculous. Ban the lot. Were any pictures of it posted on Twitter or FB?

The issue is them running on the pitch during the game with one tit ripping up the corner flag and charging onto field

Nice of the club to sign off the evening on which we secured our league one survival with a grumpy rant.

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised people are getting so worked up about it. A bunch of kids were ready to do their last-home-game pitch invasion which happens every year, when we scored an injury-time winner to make it absolutely certain.

I'm not saying the moment was up there with Neil Redfearn's penalty but were the people who invaded the pitch in 1991 morons too?

These kids have had :censored: all to shout about during their time as supporters. They ran into the pitch at a time they shouldn't but, you know, they're kids, they were revelling in a small dose of success.  I think the club needs to look at the situation and say it's done now, nobody got hurt, yes there'll probably be a fine but let's just take it on the chin rather than expressing disappointment and threatening action against those involved.

To say that they are reviewing their initiative to get young supporters to BP is pathetic and, in the long run, will only work against the club.

Not during the game though.

Like a previous poster said, all of a sudden the £10 offer isn't seen as a gimmick but as an entitlement. I'm sorry, but if you think that £2 a game for watching league football isn't a good incentive then you are deluded

funny that because i started watching latics in the 80's and the reason i became hooked and i know a awful lot of others did was because they handed out free tickets for two seasons to all the local schools

As many fans have latched onto, the problem as far as the FA are concerned in that the encroachment occurred during the game. Many refs would prefer not to include in their report but are duty bound to do so.

Mr Madeley our ref today understood the excitement of the occasion but as he says these things are spotted on TV and by other reports. If the ref did not act he would be in serious trouble.

Large sections of the young fans have been troublesome throughout the season and extra work and additional stewarding has been necessary. This comes at a cost.

Some posters on the site have referred to extra stewarding and policing. Believe me that is not a path we want to tread. Money spent in that area affects the playing side of the operation.

Yes I did say the Board would need to review the pricing policy for the younger fans and in particular the £10 ticket. We do not want to dissuade young fans from coming to games but we also have a responsibility to ensure that many other fans have a trouble free afternoon. THe whole area of young fan supervision and who they attend with together with the pricing policy needs to be looked at in the interests of the club and ALL fans.

Barry

PS

Sorry for late post. Just got up for a brew. Can't sleep with the excitment of staying up. lololololol

Can i put a suggestion forward then Barry keep the offer but as a family ticket therefore you have details of an adult who is responsible for the children in the ground it then doesn't punish the many kids in the chaddy and the main stand and the vast majority in the rocky road end who do behave and have enjoyed coming to the football

The solution must be to offer the £10 ticket when bought with an adult season ticket and to charges £40 to £80 for a ticket bought by a young individual. In other words a family ticket.

If this was the nail in the coffin of the £10 unaccompanied ticket then so be it because an invasion during the game is not acceptable.

Is it a health a safety conundrum where you can't have a barrier high enough to stop the invasion so putting the players and ref at risk because you have to be able to evacuate the stand onto the pitch?

Nice of the club to sign off the evening on which we secured our league one survival with a grumpy rant.

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised people are getting so worked up about it. A bunch of kids were ready to do their last-home-game pitch invasion which happens every year, when we scored an injury-time winner to make it absolutely certain.

I'm not saying the moment was up there with Neil Redfearn's penalty but were the people who invaded the pitch in 1991 morons too?

These kids have had :censored: all to shout about during their time as supporters. They ran into the pitch at a time they shouldn't but, you know, they're kids, they were revelling in a small dose of success. I think the club needs to look at the situation and say it's done now, nobody got hurt, yes there'll probably be a fine but let's just take it on the chin rather than expressing disappointment and threatening action against those involved.

To say that they are reviewing their initiative to get young supporters to BP is pathetic and, in the long run, will only work against the club.

Rightly or wrongly, I see the rant as justification to withdraw the £10 offer. Kids ARE kids and give them an inch, they take a mile. But as I say the decision to withdraw the offer I believe was taken months ago, yet again the club try something and give up on it before it has been given a chance to properly take root...

The £10 offer WILL work, if you link it to adult ST purchases, ok not as many will take the offer up but at least the little rats will be traceable. I still think the £50 was a good offer.

The club has to be pro-active in bringing down the average age of its core fanbase...

If the offer is disbanded now off the back of club rants and negative reaction, how many of those kids will come back? Keep the offer andf prove it can work in encouraging the next generation of fans.

A season is not enough for the younger kids to get hooked imo (those 6-12 years), tbh i'm not that bothered. My kids ARE hooked and have been ST holders since 2006 for my older child and 2010 for my daughter (since they were 7 years old) and as long as the price doesn't go stupid they will be ST holders again next season. I've said before I'd have no complaints about reverting to £2 a game and £50 STs for U16s.

The £10 offer though imo, should be given another chance but link it to adult STs, keep it for another couple of years in line with what LJ is trying to build, build on the good feeling of staying up, a great cup run and the Phoenix Stand rising out of the ashes of the old Broadway Stand. BUT there really needs to be zero tolerance to the anti-social behaviour that has blighted the offer. Offer the £10 tickets for ONE section of the ground, reserved seating and train stewards to properly intervene.

Edited by oafcprozac

I still think the club could have done a bit more with the stewarding, it was obvious what the kids were doing for the last 10 minutes. To me it seemed that us older fans had to the police them at the end, when I had a pop at them they just walked out of the gate.

Bang on Lukers, when they invaded after the goal they should have been pushed out of the gate.

As with every club, there is a minority of supporters who think that because they have committed the holier-than-thou act of buying a ticket for their local clubs match they can do whatever they like once in the stadium. Fact is, they can't.

The match was recorded by the BBC, the police were there, it can't be that difficult to make an example of these fans. Its not like they can hide amongst the tens of thousands of other fans in the stadium is it???

I read on Facebook the views of one person who defended these fans by saying that the fans deserved this moment of 'enjoyment' after a dire season on the pitch. As much as young fans are the future of this club and should be encouraged to come to BP over watching United and City on Sky TV they can't hold the club to ransom with this behaviour. I watched Oldham V Coventry in the away end with my Coventry supporting friend and the behaviour of our fans was disappointing, throwing food and teabags at Coventry fans throughout and i saw several younger fans being thrown out of the ground.

I remember when I was younger and seeing all the people run onto the pitch. I was in the top of the lookers so couldn't get on. I used to love it. It made me jealous that I wasn't on there.

To me, pitch invasions are just a part of our football club. They have always been there. I don't agree with the pitch invasion after the goal or the other night when we werent mathematically safe but I would of agreed with one at the end of the game.

This is the trouble when you grant privileges to scum. They assume them as rights and then abuse them.

They're not 'scum', they're children who got excitable and jumped on the pitch.

Scum is the Leeds fan prick who went onto the Hillsborough pitch and attacked Chris Kirkland.

Edited by NewBlue

They're not 'scum', they're children who got excitable and jumped on the pitch.

Scum is the Leeds fan prick who went onto the Hillsborough pitch and attacked Chris Kirkland.

..or whoever smashed the window on the Crawley coach.

Paid my annual end of season visit to the RRE just to sit in the sun and avoid getting flu. I was pleasantly surprised at the large number of kids. I thought, for the firs time in many years, how encouraging it was to actually see a new generation of supporters.

The ST scheme is clearly working in that it is bringing young supporters to the club, a long-term investment.

How sad it should end like this. The Crawley coach incident is unforgivable, but, seriously, the end of season 'invasion'? It might be an offence, but it's hardly new or a hanging offence.

..or whoever smashed the window on the Crawley coach.

Indeed. But that has :censored: all to with the pitch invasion.

I would fully support action being taken against those responsible but that shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as a few kids running onto the pitch.

1 - to stop pitch encroachment place netting over the front 2 or 3 rows in Verlin Stand and Chaddy End plus a steward or two in each aisle.

2 - to stop idiots taunting visiting fans leave the middle block empty unless it is needed due to a larger than usual crowd.

3 - if idiots cause trouble by throwing stuff, shouting obscenities etc. eject them and stewards make a note of their season ticket number. If same fan misbehaves a second time confiscate season ticket.

4 (slightly off topic) The cost of a junior season ticket, whether it be £10 or £50, should be the same for all kids in Year 11. At the moment, the price increases to the intermediate rate when a child reaches 16 before 1 January during the season. This is wrong as one child's ticket could cost £10 and the other £183 based on this season's prices even though they are in the same school year and may be born just a few days apart. A intermediate ticket should start when a child is 17 on or after 1 September during the season.

Edited by Runningman