• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will the club figure out how to sign a good player.....

Offer longer contracts - Protect your asset

Have reduced terms in if we get relagated - protects the club from players on big money on long contracts

Have increased terms if we get promoted - Encourages the player

Get rid of stupid clauses that sees players getting 10k cup bonuses when they dont play!! (like wes got for beating forest)

We lose players on the cheap because we never have them tied in for long enough.

No doubt Rangers will be offering a three or four year deal.

Can't remember the last time we offered one of them...

To be fair, I am not sure about that.

Of course, comparative to the League they are awash with cash, but in 3 or 4 years they will be back in the Prem and even possibly the Champsions League, so apart from a few that can take them there, most will be on short term contracts once they are allowed to sign players (in June).

I think that even with a breakaway, it will still be 4 leagues, but Rangers may muscle in on SPL2, and they will just sign top players then.

So cannot imagine much security for Vigurs. And the other PRem clubs, with only Celtic as their income cannot afford much more than Ross County

Have reduced terms in if we get relagated - protects the club from players on big money on long contracts

Get rid of stupid clauses that sees players getting 10k cup bonuses when they dont play!! (like wes got for beating forest)

We lose players on the cheap because we never have them tied in for long enough.

What if we continue to stagnate, don't get promoted or relegate, fans hound out the manager and we have to pay off lots of players on big wages tied to long contracts because the new manager doesn't want them, and the fans hate them? Maybe there is more to offering contracts than you think ;)

What if we continue to stagnate, don't get promoted or relegate, fans hound out the manager and we have to pay off lots of players on big wages tied to long contracts because the new manager doesn't want them, and the fans hate them? Maybe there is more to offering contracts than you think ;)

Point taken - however are we trying to build a team around a young manager or are we going to do what we have done for the past 10 years. Get a new manager he signs 15 new players on 2 year deals and they all leave and a new manager comes in. You can always make someone available on a free transfer

The club has no assets because of this short term vision and the club has never progressed because we do this 2 year cycle. Alex Ferguson bought Zaha from Palace, Moyes might not like the lad but he is an asset to Man U and the manager will try and improve him to either to get him in the team or sell him on.....developing an asset which only TP does at the club.

I would rather sell our best players for a fee after fee have had them for 2 years (with 1 year left on their contract) rather than they leave for free after 2 years

Point taken - however are we trying to build a team around a young manager or are we going to do what we have done for the past 10 years. Get a new manager he signs 15 new players on 2 year deals and they all leave and a new manager comes in. You can always make someone available on a free transfer

The club has no assets because of this short term vision and the club has never progressed because we do this 2 year cycle. Alex Ferguson bought Zaha from Palace, Moyes might not like the lad but he is an asset to Man U and the manager will try and improve him to either to get him in the team or sell him on.....developing an asset which only TP does at the club.

I would rather sell our best players for a fee after fee have had them for 2 years (with 1 year left on their contract) rather than they leave for free after 2 years

Players (or their agents), themselves, don't always want to sign long term contracts. As they can pick up more in signing bonuses that way. I do think we had gone too far towards 1 year deals under Dickov, but that was probably because of the amount of DP's dead weight he had to get rid off. With the long term signings of Baxter, Monty, Drayton in the past 12 months I think the club is starting to head towards a better balance.

One thing I would like to see more of though is ensuring that the player's contract doesn't run out when he is 24 if it doesn't have too. See Matt Smith this season.

The problem is the club or us fans dont really know how good a player is before he joins.

If we signed players to long contracts everytime we thought we had a good one we would be bust by now.

Dave Penny told us Joe Colbeck was a gem and Simon Corney paid money for him, good job we didnt put him on a 3 or 4 year deal. Same with Keigan Parker, Purdie, Jacobson etc etc

Dickov told us Dan Taylor was a futre star and Peter Beardlsey said he was a coup, glad we didnt sign him to a 5 year deal.

It works both ways and we have lost out a few times with players leaving but we cant go handing out longer contracts than a year or two when you look at all the :censored: we have signed over the years

Good players won't sign long contracts. They know it'll be easier for them to negotiate pay rises and transfers to other clubs with a shorter deal.

Unknown players might sign long contracts, but they're a much bigger gamble. If you looked at every lower league or unknown player we've signed in recent years, how many would we honestly want to have been tied to long contracts?

Edit - mind you, I'm guessing this. I don't know any better than anyone else.

Edited by Crusoe

Good players won't sign long contracts. They know it'll be easier for them to negotiate pay rises and transfers to other clubs with a shorter deal.

Unknown players might sign long contracts, but they're a much bigger gamble. If you looked at every lower league or unknown player we've signed in recent years, how many would we honestly want to have been tied to long contracts?

Word is that Vigurs left Ross County because they would only offer him a one-year-deal.

Really? Any indication why? (Lack of money, concerns over fitness/form, etc?)

would of probably been a top earner there and had he signed a new deal and they happened to go down then they may not of able to afford his wages, just a guess like.

Edited by 4froale

Beat me to it - was just about to type something similar. I really don't think the club does badly on the contract front at all.......

The problem is the club or us fans dont really know how good a player is before he joins.

If we signed players to long contracts everytime we thought we had a good one we would be bust by now.

Dave Penny told us Joe Colbeck was a gem and Simon Corney paid money for him, good job we didnt put him on a 3 or 4 year deal. Same with Keigan Parker, Purdie, Jacobson etc etc

Dickov told us Dan Taylor was a futre star and Peter Beardlsey said he was a coup, glad we didnt sign him to a 5 year deal.

It works both ways and we have lost out a few times with players leaving but we cant go handing out longer contracts than a year or two when you look at all the :censored: we have signed over the years

After meeting LJ and him discussing the depths he goes into when looking at a player I have every confidence that he will bring in the right people. Im not saying sign every player on a 4 year deal, but key players, your spine and players that you will make money from.

Beat me to it - was just about to type something similar. I really don't think the club does badly on the contract front at all.......

Wes picked up 10k for his beating Forest and he didnt play.......??? are you kidding???