Marwan Koukash

We averaged 12,000 during our time in the Premier League. That was 20 years ago though. Since then we've lost a generation of potential fans who have either become City or United fans or not bothered with football at all.

The numbers would return if we were in the Premier League.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely out of curiosity, can someone confirm the facts. I thought we averaged 15,000 and then it slipped to round about 10,000.

That said, United could only get crowds of about 50,000 (only!!), and :censored:ty used to get about 30,000. United's rise in the 1990s took them up to 74,000. :censored:ty's recent rise has taken them up to mid 40s. Then there's everyone who just says 'i support this lump of overpriced boring :censored:' without ever going to a match.

I agree that if Wigan can get crowds of 17-19,000 then so can we. Yes, we have mega :censored: on our doorsteps, but we also have Rochdale and Tameside. Wigan have got mega :censored:, plus Bolton, plus some rather large RL clubs plus they border on to scouseland. If a club i first saw in the 1970s, playing in the Cheshire Senior Cup, can do it then i think we can do it as well. It'll take a shed load of cash, but we could do it.

Purely out of curiosity, can someone confirm the facts. I thought we averaged 15,000 and then it slipped to round about 10,000.

That said, United could only get crowds of about 50,000 (only!!), and :censored:ty used to get about 30,000. United's rise in the 1990s took them up to 74,000. :censored:ty's recent rise has taken them up to mid 40s. Then there's everyone who just says 'i support this lump of overpriced boring :censored:' without ever going to a match.

I agree that if Wigan can get crowds of 17-19,000 then so can we. Yes, we have mega :censored: on our doorsteps, but we also have Rochdale and Tameside. Wigan have got mega :censored:, plus Bolton, plus some rather large RL clubs plus they border on to scouseland. If a club i first saw in the 1970s, playing in the Cheshire Senior Cup, can do it then i think we can do it as well. It'll take a shed load of cash, but we could do it.

Utd's increase was down to expanding the stadium. When it was standing they averaged 60000. we couldn't average 12000 because the ground won't be big enough

I think you need to check your stats. City finished 16th in the Premier League in 2004 and averaged an incredible 47,000 in a 47,000 capacity stadium. City have averaged between 45 and 47,000 since they moved to the Etihad, in 2003. Nothing to do with their recent rise. City have got the best fans in the world when it comes to loyalty. City were getting crowds of 33,000 when they were in this league for a single season in the 1998/99 season. As for United - prior to 1993, crowds at Old Trafford were usually less than 30,000. In the 1986/87 season, United's crowds for some matches were less than 20,000. I certainly remember them getting 17,000 for some matches.

Going back to MK. He told the Chron that he has already earmarked sites to be developed. No doubt after his meeting with the council he will know if these sites are cost effective or not.

As far as the valuation is concerned, we need to remember that SC could be the big loser here. Only Blitz and Gazal are the land owners, and SC has continued to put money into the club after they left. No doubt he is attempting to get some of that back.

United's average in the 1986-87 season when they finished runners-up to Liverpool was 35,000 in a stadium capacity of 53,000. Pathetic support.

I stand corrected, I just guessed and didn't check my facts. I always seem to remember them getting big gates.

Going back to MK. He told the Chron that he has already earmarked sites to be developed. No doubt after his meeting with the council he will know if these sites are cost effective or not.

As far as the valuation is concerned, we need to remember that SC could be the big loser here. Only Blitz and Gazal are the land owners, and SC has continued to put money into the club afteri they left. No doubt he is attempting to get some of that back.

Having lived in Oldham for all of my 43 years, I can't think of any sites that could be available for a new stadium. Failsworth may be the only option left. Edited by ChaddyEndRegular

United's average in the 1986-87 season when they finished runners-up to Liverpool was 35,000 in a stadium capacity of 53,000. Pathetic support.

Not really, football's a much more marketed game than it was back then. More people want to go. 35,000 is a hell of a lot. :censored: that used to effect attendances back then, don't anymore.

Edited by PlayItLivo

'city fans are some of the best in the world when it comes down to loyalty' sorry what???? how is this true in the slightest... they had 30000 at their first ever appearance in the champions league, that's woeful! and uniteds loyalty isn't much better but they have much more publicity/foreigners coming into manchetser to watch them

According to one stats Site (Can't copy the link) City had an average crowd below 30,000 for 17 years upto 1999. At one stage they were below 20,000

The 1980's were a traditionally poor decade for attendances. Everyone was skint and the country was on it's backside. I think they did have one year where the average was about 19,000 in the old Division 2. Still think it was the 6th or 7th highest average gate in the country though that season.We need to somehow start pinching these fans that United and City are picking-up at an early age. We'll only do that with a winning team and if we let the kids in for basically nothing.

a lot of people on here know a lot about :censored:ty and manure... what's up with us??? never could i ever give a toss about the average attendances of those two clubs!

This

Can we now get back to the will he/won't he hysterical speculation re emperor mings alleged takeover :-)

Edited by Lookers_Carl

'city fans are some of the best in the world when it comes down to loyalty' sorry what???? how is this true in the slightest... they had 30000 at their first ever appearance in the champions league, that's woeful! and uniteds loyalty isn't much better but they have much more publicity/foreigners coming into manchetser to watch them

You judge the strength of a clubs support in how many they get through the turnstiles when they're doing badly. In the 1998/99 season, City were getting crowds of over 30,000 in the3rd tier. Even as someone who hates City as a club, i've got to admit thats great support.

a lot of people on here know a lot about :censored:ty and manure... what's up with us??? never could i ever give a toss about the average attendances of those two clubs!

I've done detailed statistical analysis which suggests that fans of either, whether at the ground, pub or armchair, are a set of :censored:ehawkes.

Having lived in Oldham for all of my 43 years, I can't think of any sites that could be available for a new stadium. Failsworth may be the only option left.

maybe not heard he has Wigget Construction on board and as has been proved they can get just about anything built anywhere in the borough !