Shay Facey joining on loan?

I hope not. It's not what we currently need.

An experienced player alongside 2 young lads is essential. I'd be very nervous if we started the season with Brown, Tarky and a teenage loanee filling 3 of the 4 defensive positions.

We have to sign a CB, be it on loan or not, who has played at least a couple of seasons in League football to lead the defence.

I hope not. It's not what we currently need.

An experienced player alongside 2 young lads is essential. I'd be very nervous if we started the season with Brown, Tarky and a teenage loanee filling 3 of the 4 defensive positions.

We have to sign a CB, be it on loan or not, who has played at least a couple of seasons in League football to lead the defence.

I agree.

We need experience!

City took him on their pre-season tour to South Africa along with the majority of their first team. So it seems as though City rate him, being able to play RB and CB is a good sign and given he is not very tall I'd wager he is pretty quick. Would prefer our targeted CB to be more in the JYM mould, ie big and quick, though.

City took him on their pre-season tour to South Africa along with the majority of their first team. So it seems as though City rate him, being able to play RB and CB is a good sign and given he is not very tall I'd wager he is pretty quick. Would prefer our targeted CB to be more in the JYM mould, ie big and quick, though.

I would prefer a "gregan" type player. Strut as well!!!!!!!!

We need a bit of quality and experience in the centre of defence. A quality RB would also strengthen what is the weakest part of the team. Having said that, i wouldn't mind an experienced goalie. I'd also love an experienced ball-player (ooh arh misses) in midfield (Wellens would be perfect). Still, i can dream.

We need a bit of quality and experience in the centre of defence. A quality RB would also strengthen what is the weakest part of the team. Having said that, i wouldn't mind an experienced goalie. I'd also love an experienced ball-player (ooh arh misses) in midfield (Wellens would be perfect). Still, i can dream.

Apparently, Mellor is the answer...

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/81529/mellor-time

Hmmmm,

Can't help but thinking we'd be better offloading 1 of Belezika or Latvian Eddie asap on loan, with the loan team paying their wage.

And using that money to put towards (along with what budget he has left) a signing of our own at CB.

It sounds like LJ values Byrne around the squad, but I read the bit about pace as a I reference to not only what's out there, but what's right in front of him. We play a high line with Byrne and he simply will be found wanting for pace all game.

Mellor starting the season as 1st choice is a huge risk for LJ.

Granted he has the physicality to play there. He certainly has the ability on the ball to really add value to playing out from the back. He can tackle and head, and compete.

BUT - it's a new position for him, he is unfamiliar with such key elements as positioning etc, and is it a waste of talented young lad who is a CM rather than a CB?

Guess we'll see wont we, but it's not something I would have suggested happen.

"Can't help but thinking we'd be better offloading 1 of Belezika or Latvian Eddie asap on loan, with the loan team paying their wage"

If Latvian Eddie isn't up to the job straight away, I don;t see the value in getting him in on a 1 year contrcat

"Can't help but thinking we'd be better offloading 1 of Belezika or Latvian Eddie asap on loan, with the loan team paying their wage"

If Latvian Eddie isn't up to the job straight away, I don;t see the value in getting him in on a 1 year contrcat

Is he only on a 1 year deal? Oh, thought it was 2 years?

Strange signing anyway for me, but in that case, even stranger!

I'm not happy with a defensive line of Connor Brown, Tarkowski and Mellor for the start of the season. I'm really happy with Grounds who I thought was a unsung hero last season.

But personally I think Brown is terrible, Mellor won't be able to just go straight in there come the start of the season, plus I'm not a huge fan of Tarkowski but I could make do with him being there.