Rooney

They never showed the replay but what happened with that free header for Rooney? Right of goal, unmarked and he looked like he tried to head it backwards? I was halfway off the sofa.

He changed his mind. As the cross came in he was looking for goal, then decided to nod it back across the six yard box. And fecked it up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks like a penalty box player, totally reliant on service, which he'll struggle to get from our current wide boys.

Not sure there, i actually though our corners, free kicks and big majority of our crosses were a big improvement on recent showings?

I'm not sure on Rooney myself. I an see sparks of very accomplished play from him, his link play in particular. And as per Notts County and Shrewsbury, get the service right to him and he's got a finish on him.

Other times, and there were a fair few of them tonight, he does look cumbersome, slow, and disinterested.

I think if we play him for the majority of the season, with players around him who he's able to gel and click with, we'll be looking at the healthier side of 15+ goals from him though...

I would of agreed with most on this thread. Until you remember the vale game. Where he was just class. His all round performance was awesome, pace, power, great movement, fantastic headed finish. So without doubt he has it in him. It's just are we seeing it consistently enough at the moment?

During last season's worst periods most of us wanted wholesale changes, we got that. Different team, different style, they will gel and Rooney is no exception, I actually think he could eventually be the consistent 20 a year striker (under 30 year's old and hopefully with some loyalty) we've been looking for

He wasn't that bad IMO, he played well in the first half dropping deep to link up with the wide players, but then that's probably what stopped him from being on the end of those killer balls. If that's how Johnson wanted Rooney to play then I'd have had Charlie Mac on instead of Philiskirk 'cause he might have gotten on the end of one of those.

Their defence was too good for Rooney. He won next to nothing in the air, but saying that we didn't really get to the buy line and pull the crosses back, most of them came in diagonally.

Philliskirk payed well. He held the ball up well and rarely gave it away, but again their defence was too good. They got plenty of bodies back and played like the away team. Our play in the 1st half was fantastic, but perhaps instead of going all out attack we should try and pull them out a bit and then use the clever one touch football to get through them. I'm sure LJ will sort it out.

I thought Rooney did fine, he just seems to be a scapegoat whenever we don't find the net. He worked hard but was out muscled for aerial balls by two very good centre backs but when it came to his chest or to feet the ball stuck and he kept moves going. Sometimes he will just come up against good defences - add to that their keeper seemed to get something on every single cross in to the box (catching the vast majority even under pressure with decent balls in) and it wasn't an easy night to be playing as the target man.

Philli seems to be getting some stick but he actually impressed me as well, his movement was good and he was good on the ball but their defence marked our two centre forwards very tightly and closed them down whenever they had possession. It wasn't an easy night for either of them but they far from embarrassed themselves. Against lesser teams as a pair they will score goals, I don;t think that's even in doubt - the movement is good, the hold up play is good, we know both can finish.

My only real disappointment was Rooney's fluffed header at the back post in the second half, seemed like he misjudged his jump with his only clear cut chance of the game - a shame because he actually worked pretty hard tonight and i felt the play was directly affected when he went off in that we seemed to immediately struggle more in possession with no clear outlet down the centre asking for it to feet. He's a very important part of how we're playing and he'll score goals.

To say philliskirk had a bad game and should of been taken off is ridiculous! He is the link up striker/ 6 yard goal man! His work rate tonight for a delight to watch! He should be starting on Saturday Rooney should be dropped! Now not one thing he managed to control tonight. Anyone wants to watch the game back look at phillys link up play and getting into dangerous areas and watch rooney no comparison! Might give rooney the kick up the backside he needs to score those 20 goals if he is benched on Saturday. Think montano of old is back but great effort by the team tonight they did us proud! On to the next with Rotherham away lets make this a large following!!

Philiskirk did okay tonight, as did the wide players and Rooney for my money. What they lacked was end product for the work they were doing.

On Rooney's performance in particular; he did struggle, but the plan had him playing as a lone figurehead against a powerful backline who were able to play incredibly deep after they got their noses in front. My change would've been JCH for Philiskirk in the second half to give us two targets to aim for and increase the chances of catching them out.

Delivery from wide was okay at times, but in the second half particularly we did too little to get across the front of their defenders or the keeper.

Distribution wasn't great in fairness. We play a lot down the wings but final cross not good or fails to beat the man. Good point from commentator on closing mins. Montano tried beating full back and lost it, rather than playing the simple ball to Mills for him to have a free cross.

I thought PNE defended well to keep us out of the box and Rudd was excellent in the air.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Distribution wasn't great in fairness. We play a lot down the wings but final cross not good or fails to beat the man. Good point from commentator on closing mins. Montano tried beating full back and lost it, rather than playing the simple ball to Mills for him to have a free cross.

I thought PNE defended well to keep us out of the box and Rudd was excellent in the air.

I agree about Rudd, a rare breed who doesn't stick on their goal line.

Against a run of the mill keeper Latics might have scored an hat full.

Why do we keep coming up against good custodians rather than the Blaney's and Budtz's of this world ?

We seemed to be missing someone to compete for the second ball last night. Rudd did well but he was punching most stuff and failing to clear his area, but when the ball dropped on the edge of the area we had no-one challenging

It was an encouraging performance though in general

Let's all just relax and settle those jerking knees. Same team on Saturday would suit me fine, I'm happy with Rooney as our no9 and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Frillyskirt has played thus far.

If we mix around the team what we would have in Rotherham on Saturday is a new combination of players looking to start again, rather than a team that was unfortunate last night being told by Johnson "I trust you to go out there, carry on playing good football and the goals will come".

Wholesale changes don't get consistently good results, I'd like to think we'd learnt our lesson in recent years.

Bollocks.

Montano has one good game in ten, better in central areas.

Dayton has obviously got quality and two good feet, will be better in central areas I think though as he lacks that bit of pace to run past a full back.

Schmeltz has shown promise, just as likely to balloon one into the stand as land it on the strikers head though.

Apart from Monty I thought out wide players were fantastic. I hadn't been a fan of dayton and thought he constantly plays too central leaving our rb isolated. But last night it was that one way traffic he could afford to play a free role. Thought he was excellent. Had Clarke in all sorts of trouble.

Apart from Monty I thought out wide players were fantastic. I hadn't been a fan of dayton and thought he constantly plays too central leaving our rb isolated. But last night it was that one way traffic he could afford to play a free role. Thought he was excellent. Had Clarke in all sorts of trouble.

Monty started poorly but got into it after 5 minutes or so

I'd start him ahead of Dayton on Saturday.

Despite what Johnson said I think he did sign Philliskirk as a replacement for Baxter.

I'm not saying he's the same type of player - he looks more of a good Robbie Simpson :grin: - but I think he'll stay in there to play a bit deeper off Rooney as might be able to create aswell as finish whilst allowing us to keep our shape a bit more than Baxter did. Great corner he took for the goal aswell

Edited by HarryBosch

While a bit disappointed we didn't get on the end of some good deliveries credit to the Preston keeper Rudd he was very commanding in the air

I was shouting at Mills through the TV to keep the :censored:ing ball away from the goal keeper. he caught everything, but everything was straight to him. Not enough quality out wide from open play neither. Schmeltz gets in positions to get it across, but decides he needs to do a step over first and loses his angle. Dayton drifts inside and when he is wide doesnt deliver the ball enough and would rather keep hold of it and start again. Montaniou looked awful when he came on aswell. The build up is brillianty, the final 3rd quality is really lacking.

I was shouting at Mills through the TV to keep the :censored:ing ball away from the goal keeper. he caught everything, but everything was straight to him. Not enough quality out wide from open play neither. Schmeltz gets in positions to get it across, but decides he needs to do a step over first and loses his angle. Dayton drifts inside and when he is wide doesnt deliver the ball enough and would rather keep hold of it and start again. Montaniou looked awful when he came on aswell. The build up is brillianty, the final 3rd quality is really lacking.

Mills played very well i thought and i must say i thought dayton looked a decent player too.

I wasn't there, but from the TV Montano struggled when he came on. And the commentators pointed it out too.

He wasn't on the same wavelength with his team-mates, perhaps trying too hard. The commentary pointed out that when he received the ball in wide areas, particularly late on when we were chasing an equaliser, he just dallied and gave Preston time to regroup - he didn't whip it in quick, or pass it back to the onrushing Mills, who at that point still had time to cross.

He needs to get back up to speed. I'm sure it will come.

But no way should he start at the min.