Name a legend

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone can be involved now though can't they ?

Anyone can put forward a name.

They can. But it's been restricted to one name and one name only. So fans don't have a real feeling of owning that list.

In the great scheme of things it's a minor niggle. I know stuff like this can be an effort to manage. But grasping the opportunity of engaging with the fans through the broad range of media available these days is something that can make them feel more involved with the football club which, in turn, makes them more likely to turn up on match days.

Sorry but disagree. Lots of same people on Facebook, Twitter, here so not testing wide opinion.

Boundary Blues ? Fine for favourite player (and then only of past few years) but Legends ? no.

And what if different sections came up with same two (or four/five) ? Still doesnt arrive at ten

Does anyone seriously say that the nine on the list so far shouldn't be there?

Eyres shouldn't, for one.

Eyres shouldn't, for one.

I disagreed when I first read this but, after thinking about it - how is he in there ahead of Rick Holden?

Same position, Holden made more appearances & all of them at a higher level and some of them in our greatest games ever.

Sheridan should be in ahead of him too.

Its all relevant, I started watching Latics properly around 98 so people like Eyres, Sherridan and maybe even Gregan are the closest I've ever seen to a latics legend Eyres played for Latics in his 40's and still managed to chip in with his fair share of assists and goals, not to mention he actually made latics worth while watching during his spell. Very much deserving of his place on the list.

Its all relevant, I started watching Latics properly around 98 so people like Eyres, Sherridan and maybe even Gregan are the closest I've ever seen to a latics legend Eyres played for Latics in his 40's and still managed to chip in with his fair share of assists and goals, not to mention he actually made latics worth while watching during his spell. Very much deserving of his place on the list.

I agree he's a legend but there are more than 10 bigger legends ahead of him.

We need a bigger list

i agree about Alan Groves. I actually assumed he was on. Did a second read. Ridiculous.

Then again, Simon Stainrod....

Surely, the stand should be the Joe Royle Stand. The we've got space for two more legends.

Also, i've said it before. Why not name each toilet after most disliked players/managers? I feel a David Currie coming on....

I'd be interested to know the average age of those who don't think Eyresy should be included. I'd imagine he ranks very highly for any supporter aged 26 or younger.

It's all relative, just because you're older and have seen better doesn't mean he's not a legend to a significant proportion of the fan base. Older fans have plenty in there who younger fans didn't see at all.

I'd be interested to know the average age of those who don't think Eyresy should be included. I'd imagine he ranks very highly for any supporter aged 26 or younger.

It's all relative, just because you're older and have seen better doesn't mean he's not a legend to a significant proportion of the fan base. Older fans have plenty in there who younger fans didn't see at all.

Even for younger fans, why should Eyresy rank above Sheridan? Sheridan pretty much single-handedly kept us in this division under Ritchie, when he was surrounded by some bloody awful players. He played his part in the promotion challenge under Dowie, as Eyres did, came out of retirement in the post-Moore era when we had no players (and was still class) and went on to be coach and manager, getting us into the playoffs.

I would certainly go for Shez over Eyres from recent times. Being out of the game might be a relevant factor though. I feel that the club should maybe have put managers and pre-history figures in there, i don't know much about the early days but i feel those characters should be honoured. Let the fans decide re more recent players. It's not like we'd have missed Rich or Rog off.