Big Announcement - at half time

Anyone else think that the man working in our ticket office, and managing to win the stand development is a bit of a coincidence?

Yes, but his Dad, who recently passed away, was a director of the club, his daughter is engaged to our number 12. Furthermore, it would be more accurate to say he volunteered in our ticket office. A quick word in the ear of the people at George Hill could see the stand being built at (near) cost, something that is good for the club.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 years voluntary service on Match Days in the ticket office and a supporter for many more - during busy times gives up many a spare hour to help ensure there's another pair of hands in ensuring tickets can be sold as quickly as possible. All for the love of the club, he won't blow his own trumpet the man is far too modest - but I can think of no-one better qualified to build the stand than a true Latics die-hard. It will be a facility to be proud of built by local people rather than a multi-national run of the mill throw it up and sod off as quick as possible type firm.

Just don't don't let him fill up any of the heavy plant with fuel as chaos could ensue...... :naughty:

Anyone else think that the man working in our ticket office, and managing to win the stand development is a bit of a coincidence?

Thankfully the development is not in the hands of somebody looking to do sub-standard and/or unnecessary work, with no conscience about the best interests of the Club and its long-term future.

Better to trust the same man who, as part of the joint venture with Simon Corney and Ian Hill, was responsible for the erection of houses behind the Chaddy End, as the best way forward for developing BP and to ensure that all the profits from the sale of properties assists in the funding for the stadium development.

I'd rather trust someone who believes Latics is for life.

Yes, but his Dad, who recently passed away, was a director of the club, his daughter is engaged to our number 12. Furthermore, it would be more accurate to say he volunteered in our ticket office. A quick word in the ear of the people at George Hill could see the stand being built at (near) cost, something that is good for the club.

So why put it out to tender to 3 different contractors? Im all for saving and local companies making money out of it, it just seems a waste of money procuring the other contractors to provide a price

So why put it out to tender to 3 different contractors? Im all for saving and local companies making money out of it, it just seems a waste of money procuring the other contractors to provide a price

Costs little to ask them to tender, ensures we know the going rate...?

Basically you're complaining we did due diligence on a deal you believe to be shady? You can't really have it both ways...?

I'm unaware how much it would cost the club to get other contractors to bid on the contract but I doubt it is a significant sum. The club probably did it in case one of the other firms was able to come in cheaper and there may be an element of being within the fair competition rules too.

It depends on whether you think Holroy were always guaranteed the job, or whether the tendering process helped to inform the outcome. If the latter, it would not have been a waste and potentially could have saved the club an awful lot of moolah.

This is in no way meant to have a go at the club. I think using Holroys is a great move, and keeps the money within the local community, alongside someone who has a vested interest in ensuring the contract is completed on time and to budget. For Holroys this is a prestigious job (being a latics fan), and could eventually lead to even more work in the future on the other stands.

The problem comes as far as I could see, in that this contract was always going to Holroy, as with the houses behind the stadium. Rather than waste money using seperate demolition companies, architect, engineers and now main contractor, it would have worked out cheaper to agree the whole package with Holroy and let them run a design and build scenario. The extra cost comes in the Prelims, and no doubt the time and effort wasted estimating and re estimating the contract, alongside the time that Mr Corney spends on the job and also the architects who would no doubt have evaluated the tenders and charged a fortune to provide the details, drawings and documents to all who tendered.

If we were doing this for a price comparison exercise, I hardly doubt the other quotes would have been competitive as it was inevitable they wouldnt win the contract.

Yesterday I was debating with my friend about whether, when the stand is built, I will sit in the Main Stand to be able to look at the new North Stand, or sit in the new North Stand because, well, it's new. Where will everybody else sit when it's built?

Yesterday I was debating with my friend about whether, when the stand is built, I will sit in the Main Stand to be able to look at the new North Stand, or sit in the new North Stand because, well, it's new. Where will everybody else sit when it's built?

I doubt you'll be able to sit in the main stand - I'd bet on it being razed within 6 months of the new one being opened

I have just completed a tender for a regular client now i know my company is 90% likely to get the work its still took me 3 working days and cost me over £500 to get the necessary drawings and method statements drawn and written up not to mention me physcially going to the site to weigh the job up.

Now add up all the costs involved it isn't a cheap practice tendering for jobs, i have no problems with who the job went to as i was told who was tendering for the job beforehand the only thing that would wind me up is if i was tendering for a job is when it pre-agreed before it was put to tender as to who is doing the work as it would have been a complete waste of time and expense for the other parties involved.

Obviously Oldham Athletic can ask for as many tenders as they like even if it is a price comparasion exercise, i think what's making people think skullduggery is involved is because Paul Whitehead is an active volunteer for the club and like most on this forum a fan, good luck to his company in what i believe is the most prestigous and the biggest project they have been involved in.

I'll use the Supporters' Bar facility in the new stand before and after games, but I'll continue to sit in the Chaddy End during games.

I'll use the Supporters' Bar facility in the new stand before and after games, but I'll continue to sit in the Chaddy End during games.

I'm looking forwards for that, a clubhouse/bar is long overdue. There will be a Tesco Extra and a Subway too in the new stand won't there?

Had the same discussion with the notable MilnrowLatics.

Still undecided though!

Ill use the bar etc but no way im giving up my front row upper tear seat for anyone. Best seats in house.

Aside from the ones in the posh-seats. My dad and I had arguably the best seats in the house in the Broadway stand; front row on the half way line, hopefully we will get similar in the new stand

Aside from the ones in the posh-seats. My dad and I had arguably the best seats in the house in the Broadway stand; front row on the half way line, hopefully we will get similar in the new stand

I will be looking how high the rain sweeps in once the seats are installed.