Latics v Bradford post match reaction

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draw was a fair result, and it's not hoof ball its direct football and I wouldnt want to watch it every week but its effective with Hanson as your target man.

You would want to watch it every week look what they have achieved in the last 18 months by playing like that? Two trips to wembley in a season and a promotion is not exciting to watch?

I like our passing game but direct football can both be effective and entertaining it's not what the football purist like to see, but we managed to beat Liverpool and push Everton to a replay by getting the ball forward to a big target man I was on the edge of my seat throughout both games.

Edited by GlossopLatic

What pleased me today is the way we (after a frantic start) calmed the game down, took our time, passed it around in defence until we saw the right ball to midfield/wingers rather that just rushing and pumping aimless balls upfield hoping someone would get on the end of it!

Good game to watch, we're becoming hard to beat and with any luck after the cup games we'll make it 9 unbeaten at home.

Hanson was winning everything in the air in the first half, and our fullbacks looked wobbly so what ever LJ did at halftime to stop Hanson winning the headers (and therefore stopping Wells do anything), it worked!

Promising stuff.

:)

Wanna destroy Glazer and Sky

Bradford sung that 'Take me home' song which I'm pretty sure is a United song an all. No points for originality with any of their songs.

As for FC, if none of those singing it in that vid had Sky it would give it credibility but I reckon it's unlikely.

Parkinson's awful, 20 odd years out of date tactics really dont make the most of what is one of the better young players in the division.

Nahki Wells looks to be the real deal. His movement was really good, and his finish was really well taken.

But, he's instructed (i know he is, as i sit behind the away bench and heard Parkinson all game) to just run off Hanson. He was actually bollocked for not doing it a couple of times, one of which he answered back and was shouted to 'do as you're told and run off the big man'.

He's stiffeling any independent thoughts Wells has, and taking away his natural movements.

In a different side, playing football the non-direct way, allowed to expess himself properly and to link up with his teammates with the ball on the deck, Wells would be unstoppable at this level.

Dare I say it, in a side like us...

Edited by slystallone

I thought Bradford were direct, but not just launching it, how many times did they find the big man? A lot.

To say we are a lower 3rd division side some of our fans seem to get quite santimonious in regards to style of play. They didn't come to kick us off the park, with the exception of one elbow (which was a joke decision not to send him off) they were not a dirty side. They had a winger who took people on and they got it wide when they could.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Bayern Munich vs Dortmund a few weeks ago, in order to combat the Dortmund pressure on the ball, sent the wingers wide and played long diagonals over to the corners. You cant press the ball if its in your own corner. I know I give an extreme example, but still. Pep Guardiola team "hoofing it".

Parkinson has had success playing like that. Why would you change it? It wasn't aimless, it was controlled.

Id rather not play like that, but in the lower leagues there is a lot to be said for being well drilled, knowing your job and playing to your strengths.

I don't care how we play as long as we win.

Exactly, and as Pukka says, there's more than one way to skin a cat - we've hardly been averse to a hoof ourselves and the best 4 sides I've seen us play in the league have been Bradford, Port Vale, Rotherham and Wolves, all pretty direct.

Edited by deyres42

I thought Anarchy in The UK sounded really good, I've not heard it sung at a game before.

It's sung at loads of grounds by lots of clubs.

Still, it's a decent chant, better than the :censored:ty 'cause we support the Palace' similar sounding chant that Palace do.

Although very direct in their play, three things struck me about Bradford yesterday: -

1) Their style is effective at this level and clearly the one below;

2) Nakhi Wells seems to be doing pretty damn fine out of the way they play;

3) Their fans couldn't give a flying fack about the style they play, provided they're doing OK. Which they are.

Good luck to them. Not particularly my cup of tea but I think we'll do well to finish above them come the end of the season.

Joe, don't be such a miserable bastard :wink: .

Pah, it made my toes curl.

The legendary original aside, I remember Mel C doing a version of it (First line: "I am a Spice Girl..." :petesake: ) and FC United have been singing it for years. I think some songs are just best left alone!