Toothless Latics dominate but fall for Sucker Punch

That was a hard one to swallow. If I'm honest I expected to lose and heavily yesterday, but yet again we saw there is very little to choose between every side in this league. There is no outstanding side, just sides that take there chances and get more than their fair share of iffy decisions in their favour.

Latics started slowly and by the time David Mellor was sacrificed in favour of Carl Winchester, with Petrasso moving onto the left to accommodate Winchester on the right - the team had been under the cosh. Nothing too dramatic had happened but Brentford had been dominating possession and having more than their fair share of efforts - albeit Donanldosn and Grigg's effort were all off target. Harry Dean looked a threat from set-pieces and would go on to have three or four free headers from corners that presented little cause for concern thankfully. Once Winchester arrived into the fray, his impact was immediate. He was perhaps too greedy when leading a four on one charge and the chance was crowded out. His assuredness on the ball allowed others to be brought into the game, and by the time half-time had come we had seen JCH create another ball flashed across goal (no one gambling AGAIN!) Petrasso smack one just wide and it was an all out transformation. Wesolowski was hacked down, the referee gave nothing. It was an awful challenge and Wes took his own revenge, he was booked but the lad knew he was around at least. JCH was lectured for going down too easily in the box too.

Second half followed the same pattern, for the neutral it must have been an intriguing and entertaining contest, that was end to end. Brentford always looking for the quick break and Latics tempo was good if the final ball was not always urgent enough. Smith and Wesolowski were winning the midfield battle. Another horrific challenge on Wes this time WAS punished but it was the beginning of some brutal challenges by the Bees. Danny Philliskirk in particular had to endure some rough treatment. He was taken out at waist height and was still suffering the after-effects when favourite to reach a through ball. He pulled out a little for me. As we entered the last ten minutes a cross was deflected to roll along our bar before a quick break saw Danny Philliskirk scythed down when clear on goal. There may have been a covering defender but arguably Douglas had to go. Smith;s free-kick was deflected agonisingly wide as there looked to be only one team that would nick it. I remarked to my mate that it was just our luck that Douglas would nick a winner given our luck. Yep! sadly I called it right, yet another cross from our left saw Kusunga climbed all over and Douglas nicked it in the 3rd minute of stoppage time. It was a bitter pill to swallow as yet again another good performance went unrewarded.

I think Lee Johnson dropped a massive bullock subbing Winchester late on. He was arguably our MOTM, I know he was trying to force the win but first and foremost you keep the point you already have in the bag. Bringing Schmeltz on to work in tandem with the woeful Plummer was a recipe for disaster, rest assured the cross came in from the left YET AGAIN as it done all afternoon and they nick a winner.

I like Lee, I'm fully behind him and i have bought into what he has trying to do here but he disappointed me and the other 420 Latics fans that had travelled far and wide 11 days before Christmas and to get a half arsed thumb up whilst not even looking at as was an insult. As was the so called senior pros leaving the field offering zero recognition to the hardy band. I know you're disappointed Lee, I know the players were - no one was more disappointed than fans that had left at some ungodly hour not benefiting from a restful night in a nice all expenses paid hotel and we certainly did not benefit from a return journey by luxury coach. That sort of thing doesn't usually get to me put it was a poor show from management and a team that had enjoyed great support all afternoon and all season in fact.

Oxley - Not a great deal to do as Brentford shot off target time and again. Could he have come for the all important cross? 6

Kusunga - Prefer him at RB pushing on and let no one down 7

Tarky - Collosus in the air for the most part, struggled a bit on the deck 7

Grounds - Better in the middle, gave it away too often 6

Plummer - Nope sorry, WTF is he doing in our team? Targeted and won out over and over again. Cross after cross comes in eventually bites us 5

Petrasso - Willing runner, but needs to get his head up as he wastes too many good positions by making poor decisions 6

Wes - Good battling performance in the middle. Suffered some brutal treatment and will be licking his wounds today 7

Smith - Pushed on and tried to make us tick, once he grew into the game he had a real impact 7

Mellor - Subdued, but the whole team started slowly. Not buying the can't run bollocks. He was down that wing time and again on Tuesday Night 5

JCH - Huffed and puffed for little reward. I wish someone would gamble on his rampaging runs out wide and break their neck to get into the box 6

Philliskirk - Another one kicked all over the park. Needs to learn to get that shot away a lot quicker than he does. 6

Subs:

Winchester: Changed the game when he came on, finally we were running at them and causing problems. His passing was good all afternoon too 8 (My MOM)

Schmeltz: A sub too far, arguably cost us the game with Plummer not closing down the man for the cross 5

Adam: Looked lively, needs a start and soon - especially if we can keep getting quality balls in 6

If you had offered me a defeat at Brentford and a win at Mansfield - I;d bite your hand off for the latter. All about Tuesday Night now, we'll have some bruised and battered bodies today. The lads need to pick themselves up and get out there and no matter what bring that prize home with them from Field Mill.

I was going to watch it on TV, but sod it I'm going, despite our final whistle snub yesterday the lads need and deserve our support!

I know what you mean about the players and management not atleast acknowledging the fans who were applauding the players off the pitch for their efforts, It's not ruined my day or anything like that but atleast show some appreciation to those who came.

Korey smith and few others did I'm glad we have him as captain he really does lead by example.

On another note I know your into your stats mr P have we lost a game by more than 1 goal since Johnson took over? All the defeats we have had seem to have had seem to have been narrow.

Preston away at the end of last season was 2-0. This is a very good sign in my opinion. We're very close, the only thing holding us back in my opinion is our injury list. 2 key players out yesterday, and that seems to be a reoccurring theme. We miss Charlie MacDonald's industry and movement loads. I fancy us to beat anybody on our day with a full team.

Just watched the football league show and they referred to us as "dogged Oldham"... Hardly a fair reflection. From about 15 minutes onwards it was obvious that one goal was going to win it. It was a really scrappy game but I thought it was two decent League 1 sides who didn't give the other the opportunity to play.

A real sickener because we didn't deserve to lose yesterday.

We're languishing in the bottom half of the table and near enough half way through the season and I'm still, despite being a pessimistic bastard, taking positives from most games.

It doesn't matter if you lose 1-0 or 636362627-0 : you still end up with zero points...

I bet PLC wished they had lost by less than 6-1 against Citeh a few seasons ago. Having a decent Goal difference could earn us a bit more money come the end of the season, or even something more significant.

Is/was the back 4 of Kusunga/Tarkowski/Grounds/Plummer a better option than Lanzoni/Tarkowski/Kusunga/Grounds?

I would go with the latter....I think Lanzoni is an adequate RB.....can be shown up for pace but all 4 are hardly blessed with that.

Although Grounds has improved tremendously as a CB, he still has his moments and would prefer him over at LB.

And Plummer scares me......comes across as a bit hot-headed in the tackling and over-complicates the passing.

Overall, I'm still a massive Johnson fan but the Winchester/Mellor substitution worried me yesterday by moving a novice winger over to play in front of a novice full back.........surely Winchester should have been sent on to assist Plummer who seemed to be having a torrid time?

Overall, I'm still a massive Johnson fan but the Winchester/Mellor substitution worried me yesterday by moving a novice winger over to play in front of a novice full back.........surely Winchester should have been sent on to assist Plummer who seemed to be having a torrid time?

Totally agree. Felt it was harsh on Winchester to then be subbed, especially seen as he was a sub himself and in the last 30 mins had been linking up well down the right. If he was desperate to bring on Syndney it should have been a straight swap for the QPR lad who for me didn't do anything right yesterday, he choose the wrong option every time he had the ball.

Is/was the back 4 of Kusunga/Tarkowski/Grounds/Plummer a better option than Lanzoni/Tarkowski/Kusunga/Grounds?

I would go with the latter....I think Lanzoni is an adequate RB.....can be shown up for pace but all 4 are hardly blessed with that.

Although Grounds has improved tremendously as a CB, he still has his moments and would prefer him over at LB.

And Plummer scares me......comes across as a bit hot-headed in the tackling and over-complicates the passing.

Lanzoni should be at centre back, the position he trialled in and looked outstanding, this would leave Kasunga at right back and Grounds at left back.

I'd be uncertain about moving Kusunga, Tarky or Grounds from their positions yesterday as they all looked very comfortable, unfortunately Plummer is such a weak link that we surely can't play him in a crucial game for the club like Tuesday. Therefore Grounds LB Tarky CB and Lanzoni and Kusunga making up the other two positions make most sense to me.

The more I think of it the more happy I'd be to see Winchester in right mid again on Tuesday. Regardless of goals dominating possession for the 1st 30 should be the aim, before bringing on a bit more direct pace later on if needed. Winchester, Smith and Wes would do the 1st bit well, on the left we could then have a bit of pace to add variety to the midfield. Sidney or Mickey P would be adequate but I'd be interested to see JCH play there with a lot of freedom, then having Danny P and Rooney through the middle.

I don't get to many games, so when I do it's interesting to see how my thoughts on the game and the players stack up against others who's opinions I read week in week out.

My take on the game is that after a pretty even but uneventful first half we were the better team in the 2nd and should have won. Plummer is getting a raw deal but it must have been a bit of a culture shock to him on Saturday. He had Donaldson all over him for the whole match which would be hard to deal with for many more experienced left backs at this level. I thought he handled it reasonably well and wouldn't write him off just yet. Maybe we should have had Grounds at left back if we knew Brentford would try this tactic.

The defence in general did pretty well - I really like watching Kusunga. Quality player. There were the odd lapse in concentration but again I'd cut them a bit of slack given the team is still relatively new.

Mellor - there was definitely something wrong with him so I wasn't shocked to see him subbed. I just thought he looked totally uncomfortable playing in that position but there's obviously more to it than that. Winchester coming on made a huge difference and I agree with Prozac that he was our best player. Yes he made the odd mistake but one of the refreshing things about him was that even after making a mistake he never shied away from wanting the ball, always looked comfortable in possession and looked to take people on. I was pretty shocked to see a thread dedicated to him questioning him being on the field at all. Shame he made a total balls up with the 4 on 1 - he should have run straight at that defender and played in someone either side but looked in 2 minds whether to take it on himself or pass. In the end he did neither. He put some great crosses in later on though that just weren't read by the strikers - either they hung back when the ball went across the face or vica versa.

Korey Smith is class. Wes did well in a rough midfield battle and Petrasso showed promise but just didn't get enough of the ball. Philliskirk is a definite starter for me with those around him rotating as the opposition or fitness dictates.

In the end we were just a bit of cohesion away from the 3 points. The foul on Philly denied a goal scoring opportunity in my opinion even though there was a covering defender so should have been red. Philly was going to have a shot on goal and the foul was deliberate and cynical. For him then to score the winner was gutting. Not sure if I'd blame the keeper for that - it was a great ball in. Probably should have been closed down quicker though - was poor winger's defending.

Maybe with a bit of luck we would have won - the possible sending off, the header cleared off the line (I seemed the only one to shout handball!).

Finally, the manager... I put his reaction when walking off down to just abject disappointment. He looked how I imagined the majority of us felt - totally dejected. The lads played well and on balance of play deserved a win against one of the teams at the top end of the division and he looked like he took defeat to heart as much if not more as the rest of us. In fact, most of the squad had the same look. They do look like a unit though, that's a massive positive. When we lose the ball there's little sulking, just a desire to win it back. I thought his substitutions were very positive with a view to winning the game, not just settling for a point which would be the attitude of the majority of the managers around.

I hope he sticks with this ethos and we don't regress like we did under Dickov where we lost that attacking intent.

There are a lot of positives about the club at the moment and a lot of promise on show.

A word of congrats to the beeb who surpassed themselves with the "highlights" on the FLS, deciding to show a header off the bar that the ref had already blown for a foul instead of the one off the line or the possible red card. At least Sky showed some more action but still missed those 2 key latics moments.

For him then to score the winner was gutting. Not sure if I'd blame the keeper for that - it was a great ball in. Can't agree here, he scores from virtually on the line. Oxley should just double punch him in the face at least.

Finally, the manager... I put his reaction when walking off down to just abject disappointment. He looked how I imagined the majority of us felt - totally dejected. The lads played well and on balance of play deserved a win against one of the teams at the top end of the division and he looked like he took defeat to heart as much if not more as the rest of us. In fact, most of the squad had the same look. They do look like a unit though, that's a massive positive. When we lose the ball there's little sulking, just a desire to win it back. I thought his substitutions were very positive with a view to winning the game, not just settling for a point which would be the attitude of the majority of the managers around. Agree.

There are a lot of positives about the club at the moment and a lot of promise on show. AGREEEEEE.

For him then to score the winner was gutting. Not sure if I'd blame the keeper for that - it was a great ball in. Can't agree here, he scores from virtually on the line. Oxley should just double punch him in the face at least.

True. If Sydney had closed him down better, if Kusunga hadn't been dominated or if Oxley had come out fisting then it would probably not have been a goal. But LJ has probably been through all that with them.

But LJ has probably been through all that with them.

We are blatantly dodgy in our own six yard box, I agree that LJ probably has been through it with Ox loads of times but he clearly isn't willing to come off his line. Having said that, I can only think of maybe six points it has cost us and some of his saves have earned us more than that. So, for now, it isn't really annoying me that much.