Don't worry!

We're only going to continue going downhill at this rate. We were promised attacking football, and the manager was supposed to be giving the youth a chance.

4 games over xmas, 2 points, 3 goals. Pretty wank. Add in the poor home games against Chesterfield, Mansfield and Bradford, and you can see why people don't bother any more. I'd prefer us to lose 4-3 than 1-0.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can accept we won't win the league

But is it really unrealistic to expect that we should be higher up the league I think as far as the league is going this season we are under achieving.

I think people on this thread are underselling this team I think it's far better than it is showing.

I can accept that this season is a work in progress.

I can accept that we won't push for promotion

But surely we haven't stooped so low that we can no longer expect to not be disappointed by home defeats to Colchester and Shrewsbury?

I think we should be 7-8 places further up the league am I really unrealistic to expect that?

We're only going to continue going downhill at this rate. We were promised attacking football, and the manager was supposed to be giving the youth a chance.

4 games over xmas, 2 points, 3 goals. Pretty wank. Add in the poor home games against Chesterfield, Mansfield and Bradford, and you can see why people don't bother any more. I'd prefer us to lose 4-3 than 1-0.

The manager goes on and on about needing more creativity in home games to break teams down, yet nothing changes, it's about time he backed up all his fine words with action.

Edited by BP1960

But is it really unrealistic to expect that we should be higher up the league I think as far as the league is going this season we are under achieving.

I think people on this thread are underselling this team I think it's far better than it is showing.

But surely we haven't stooped so low that we can no longer expect to not be disappointed by home defeats to Colchester and Shrewsbury?

I think we should be 7-8 places further up the league am I really unrealistic to expect that?

not 1 bit bud,I'm totally with you,the last few home games has been pityfull Edited by oafc21

Exactly that.

People seem to think that because I'm not happy with where we're at currently that I expect that we should be running away with the division. Far from it, but what I do expect is that as a fan base and a club in general, we should strive to be better, we should want to be better, we don't accept the mediocrity that we've become used to. It seems to me that too many Latics fans are too happy to say 'we are a bottom half of league 1 club, that's where we should be, we can't compete with budgets of the like's of Wolves, Sheff Utd etc etc' that is what winds me up.

The clubs that I referred to above, that are all of a similar size to us, with similar fan bases and similar (certainly small in comparison to the 'big clubs' that have come down into this league) budgets to what we have year in year out. They achieve success because they believe in themselves, they believe that they do have a right to compete with the big boys and that they are in this division because that's where they deserve to be.

I got slated for being disgusted with our league performance at Wolves, people telling me 'you're deluded if you expect us to compete with Wolves, they had Kevin Doyle on the bench earning £40k a week blah blah blah'. I wasn't upset that we lost, I was upset at the manner of defeat, the fact that we went there believing we had no right to win that game.

Yes, this season is a transition season, I accept that, but really is it turning out to be any different to any other season? We're not improving, yes we pass it a bit more, but at the end of the day it's a results business and we still rock up at home and turn in piss poor displays against teams like Col U, Shrews etc. This squad that LJ has assembled is a decent squad, I think it's actually one of the strongest we've had in a while, that is what I find so frustrating.

So what we're going to Anfield on Sunday! It won't mean :censored: on Monday morning when we've been hammered and as with every year all we're left with going into the second half of the season is a battle against relegation. Oh well, it may at least be strong enough to win League 2 next year.

This season was about LJ building a team, next season is about what he can do with it. Yep that's right, as long as we don't get relegated (which we won't), LJ has a free pass this season. He's working with a new team, trying different things, what works best, who is good enough, etc, so he can find out where he needs to strengthen in January and in the summer. Just sit back and ride it out because next season is where it matters and if you were expecting LJ to rub a bit of pixie dust on an entirely new team and for us to rocket up the table, then you've only got yourselves to blame for your delusion.

What's ironic is, you'll still be posting this bollocks in January 2015, "give him more time, we play well but just don't win, he's a young manger" zzzzzzz

Exactly that.

People seem to think that because I'm not happy with where we're at currently that I expect that we should be running away with the division. Far from it, but what I do expect is that as a fan base and a club in general, we should strive to be better, we should want to be better, we don't accept the mediocrity that we've become used to. It seems to me that too many Latics fans are too happy to say 'we are a bottom half of league 1 club, that's where we should be, we can't compete with budgets of the like's of Wolves, Sheff Utd etc etc' that is what winds me up.

But you're making the same generalisation that anyone who is rationalising the results/performances and trying to be positive by saying we're all accepting mediocrity and permanent :censored: club status.

I didn't go today but I was at Colchester and I was furious with the performance. But I've also seen enough to suggest it's not the same as before. Youth players are getting a chance, young players are improving, the style of play is better in general and we have a young squad on relatively long contracts compared to previous seasons.

I don't get the feeling the manager accepts mediocrity and I'm willing to give him time to prove it.

We did it with Dickov - he got enough time but failed. Johnson and the players deserve the same.

What's ironic is, you'll still be posting this bollocks in January 2015, "give him more time, we play well but just don't win, he's a young manger" zzzzzzz

No, let's sack the manager 5 months into his first season in management. Let's go round in the same circle of getting in a new manager and a brand new squad. Zzzzzzzzz.

As others have said, it's a long-term project and anyone who thought we'd be challenging at the right end of table this year is extremely deluded. Teams take time to be built, look at Orient, Slades been there for 3 years (might be more) and things have finally come together and clicked properly now.

No need to jump-the-gun, and i know Simon Corney won't do that!

So you suggest we just stop wasting our time and sack him now?

Every manager, regardless of age, deserves to build a full squad that is his own.

He's carrying some of Dickov's failures from last season, who, given the choice, he might have preferred to replace, so I'll reserve judgement until next season when he's formed his own squad; the same opportunity we gave to Dickov, managing well into his third season in charge.

It just so happens that LJ is young and a persuasive speaker, a salesman as some suggest, which is often used against him.

Whether or not you like him or you're convinced he'll succeed or fail, we have to keep him until next season as long as we're still in this league, which I'm sure we will be when this flurry of injuries recover.

Perhaps I'm foolish, but from what I've seen we have reason to be optimistic about next season, with the nucleus of a quality side after some class signings, that just needs refining, which this season is a building block to. All I would say is that he'd benefit from more staff around him, a mistake that probably contributed to Dickov's departure.

Edited by NewBlue

Oh FFS

It's "bollocks" is it to be rational and realistic and give a manager longer than 5 months in the job to put right 3 years of 1 previous manager and another year of another managers errors and mistakes?

We might as well give up now eh and be done with it.

Football support has gone mad...

Well said! This is where I'm at

No good holding on to strikers who get well paid to put the ball in the onion bag and I for one really thought Rooney would be the perfect fit for us, Play all those who haven't been showing what's required on Sunday and see if they really want to play for Latics??? then cut out the rot, Get rid and replace with those that do.

Win that game in hand and back it up then all will be fine for 2014, We're far better than the table's showing.................................FACT!

Edited by OLDHAMADE

This season was about LJ building a team, next season is about what he can do with it. Yep that's right, as long as we don't get relegated (which we won't), LJ has a free pass this season. He's working with a new team, trying different things, what works best, who is good enough, etc, so he can find out where he needs to strengthen in January and in the summer. Just sit back and ride it out because next season is where it matters and if you were expecting LJ to rub a bit of pixie dust on an entirely new team and for us to rocket up the table, then you've only got yourselves to blame for your delusion.

. Finally someone who understands

If some supporters got their wish and Johnson was fired, it's so predictable what would happen next. A Dave Penney type 'experienced' (but not particularly good) manager would be brought in to 'steady the ship', and within six months the same people who were calling for Johnsons head would be calling for his. And so on and so forth. It'd be nice just for once to have a little patience with a manager and allow him time to build.

If some supporters got their wish and Johnson was fired, it's so predictable what would happen next. A Dave Penney type 'experienced' (but not particularly good) manager would be brought in to 'steady the ship', and within six months the same people who were calling for Johnsons head would be calling for his. And so on and so forth. It'd be nice just for once to have a little patience with a manager and allow him time to build.

Who's calling for his head?

Lets just get behind the tics, not great yesterday especially when rough from a night of debauchery :grin: but we have a few players out also Dayton just back so needs a few games atleast, on a plus maybe a few signing in transfer could boost the team moral a little, cheers up peeps the glass is half full not half empty!

Win or lose get on the booze......... :icon_peace: