Luke Simpson

It's strange to think we could be anything other than a selling club, I think we do quite well at selling youth to bigger clubs and it helps financially.

We dont do bad considering the ones we have sold in recent past are either back playing at our level or below (bar Eardley):

Eaves

Spencer

Phili

Trotman

Its the ones we let go for free that do better ie Tierney, Lee, COG (small sum)!

At least when crewe demand money for players they end up carving out careers further up the pyramid, our youth team stars are actually yard dog!

Prepared to get shot down here, but I actually don't think we do too badly in terms of getting money for our youth players.

IMO if in recent-ish years criticism would be better aimed at managers who have bought in talented players and not got the best out of them. Too many players moved on for free or nominal fees and then carved out good careers.

Prepared to get shot down here, but I actually don't think we do too badly in terms of getting money for our youth players.

IMO if in recent-ish years criticism would be better aimed at managers who have bought in talented players and not got the best out of them. Too many players moved on for free or nominal fees and then carved out good careers.

I think that's a reasonable point. The club gets a lot of stick but how many of our players could we honestly say we've sold on the cheap that have gone on to earn other clubs a lot of money in transfer fees? Not saying we haven't, just can't really think of any.

There's a reason Crewe get big money for their players - they are better and do go on to have careers at higher level. Ashton, Powell etc.

http://www.givemesport.com/351249-manchester-united-celtic-in-teen-goalkeeper-battle

Jun 10, 2013

Manchester United and Celtic could go head-to-head in a race to sign Oldham Athletic goalkeeper Luke Simpson.

The Daily Star claims both clubs have sent scouts to watch the 18-year-old in action for the Latics youth team, and are now considering whether to launch bids for the talented stopper.

Simpson is yet to make a first senior appearance at Boundary Park, and the paper reports that suitors could land the teenager cheaply as new boss Lee Johnson looks to pull together some transfer funds for next season.

Manchester United certainly aren’t short of options between the sticks, with David De Gea earning the number one spot and impressing last season under Sir Alex Ferguson.

And, whilst new manager David Moyes might have different ideas about the Red Devils squad, it’s unlikely to mean an end for the Spaniard at Old Trafford.

Simpson would certainly be one for the future, but his arrival could raise questions over Anders Lindegaard’s time at Manchester United.

As for Celtic, goalkeeper Fraser Forster was in top form last season at Parkhead, but he’s been linked with a move to Newcastle.

Simpson lacks the experience to be a possible replacement for the Bhoys, but again could be one for the future for Neil Lennon's SPL champions.

Luke is a top-notch, hard working lad who will hopefully go a long way. The type of player & bloke that I'd be genuinely pleased if he went on to make the breakthrough at a higher level despite Latics not benefitting.

As I see it, the switch to Leicester has occurred due to one of their young keepers going out on loan to Stevenage and this represents a decent opportunity for him after what, could be viewed as a challenging season. The loan moves to Nantwich & Workington, whilst providing valuable experience, probably didn't work out as well as hoped and may have influenced the decision to let him move on. At the end of this season, the management would have had a choice between him & the promising Coleman and, given this, it would be odd to stand in his way now with this opportunity presenting itself.