Latics 1-0 Gills: Post Match Reaction

Felt like we had it in us to win today, a few solid chances that just needed a bit of magic. Harkins goal came from almost nowhere and I think he was as agog as the RRE end was when it came off. Need to see the replay to actually assess what the bejaysus happened.

Philly should've buried his big chance instead of trying to bring it to his other foot. Stead should've buried his one on one (again!). A fortunate bobble and his 20 yarder could've trickled inside of the post. The chances are there for us and we need to be taking them to put a game to bed. We can defend as resolutely as it comes, but we are ALWAYS on the back foot for the last fifteen minutes.

Subs confused me today. Brown was clearly hurting and it took him going down TWICE for him to be subbed. And even then that was ten minutes after the second time he collapsed to the ground in a heap. Worrall was excellent in his cameo at right back for the most part BUT unless Winchester was carrying an injury too surely it would've made more sense to drop him back and keep Worrall in midfield? I've been a big Dayton advocate since he came in but he was fricken' useless today, waste of a substitute. I would've liked to see Dunfield come on for Brown and go into midfield. Winch to RB, then with 15-20 mins to go Turner on for Philly and go straight 4-4-2.

I would've also, however, have liked for all of this to happen when we were 2-0 up and cruising.

Oxley was un:censored:withable today. Harkins brought the magic and he is always worthy of a MotM but Oxley won the game for us without a doubt. Bring on the Dongs!

Edited by DTM

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit the Ox was outstanding and my MoM. Said before:- four cracking saves and two catches and a punch. Goalkeeping Coach leaves and the Ox does what I have wanted him to do all season. Three points earned by him with a little help from that unexpected brilliant strike.

Also

Thought Carl Winchester had a very solid game for us in CM. Actually got stuck in, looked to get on the ball and did a very good job in there.

With him leaving the game early; i would think he'd have enough in the tank for anothet start in that position on Tuesday.

Think that might well be the reason why he was subbed, played well, created a lot with some nice down the channels passes, was worried we would miss Korey today, but we didn't, not doubt helped by the fact that Hessenthaler is not the most heavyweight of midfielders himself.

I was expecting him to be moved to RB as Connor Brown was clearly struggling, think he may end up playing there on Tuesday as Kusunga will still be suspended and Brown has to be doubtful.

:censored: game, goal aside and the 2 Stead chances nothing from us attacking wise

our midfielders just do not move forward off the ball anywhere like enough and we never have anyone busting a gut to get in their box

It never was the strikers we had that was an issue, it is the lack of midfield mobility - both Winchester and Wes stood in a line back in our own half whilst Stead holds the ball up, only Worrall making any sort of off the ball forward run and therefore we lost the ball time and again.

That's not me saying Wes and CW are bad players, it is just their in-game play which does not follow logic. OK so Wes is the DM; if i'm Winchester and see that Stead has the ball and is looking to play someone in, i'll think 'i need to make a run here and get up to support him' - clearly they are either told to sit back and not run beyond the ball or footballers cannot think for themselves on the pitch and adapt to the play that occurs.

We do not and have not done enough in games AS A UNIT to score goals and hat needs to change next season - Smith gets forward but nowhere near as much as he should and with no real intent as in he is going forward looking to get on the end of a pull back from the wingers or smash one in from a loose ball............................

Anyway

Oxley best game this season - FINALLY he came for 3 crosses and did his usual good shot stopping - ok he lost us 1 point last week with his shocking save but won us 2 more today so i'll let him off!

You CAN do it Mark - KEEP claiming those crosses!!

Edited by shefflatic

Winchester cannot last ninety minutes. LJ said before it's stopped him being picked as he knows he's lost a sub before kick off. I'd imagine that's why he was taken off.

I actually thought he was pretty poor and, as has happened with him in the past and with Adeyemi, Wes' game suffers as he's having to do two men's jobs.

Best bit of football I saw bar Harkins' wonder-strike and Oxley's wonder-saves was one of the Chaddy Juniors under 9s scoring directly from a corner during half time. The kid (number 8) was knockin' 'em in for fun. Worth a punt?

Edited by DTM

Best bit of football I saw bar Harkins' wonder-strike and Oxley's wonder-saves was one of the Chaddy Juniors under 9s scoring directly from a corner during half time. The kid (number 8) was knockin' 'em in for fun. Worth a punt?

Maybe not for the first team yet but perhaps he could help coach Dayton how to take corners?

:smoking:

Ox was MOM for me today, great finish from GH, If I have ever seen a larger footballer than Akinfenweya I cant remember when, but fair play for the way he interacted with the kids before the kick off and at half time. It wasn't the best game today but I think our centre half pairing give us a solid look. Lockwood does the dirty stuff and Wilson clears up the mess, we definitely look more secure with this pairing.

Winchester is a classy player on the ball, if he pushed slightly higher up the pitch he'd be a real threat. IMO, if we could only keep one out of him, Mellor and Millar it'd be Winchester.

Harkins brilliant as usual, everything about Oxley has already been said, Wes strong too.

I was mid conversation when that happened, luckily the bloke in front of me also saw it too as I wasn't sure I could believe my eyes. Cracking striker of the ball. I look forward to the "I've played on this pitch before and scored from a corner...." interview with him before he makes his debut for us in about 10 years time.

With the exceptions of Oxley and Harkins I thought we were truly awful, although i'm obviously grateful for the 3 points. Suppose it goes some way towards balancing out the times we've played well this season yet still lost.

Gillingham must feel like they've been mugged.

I now make that 10 points from games we didn't deserve anything (Crewe, Carlisle, Stevenage and today.) Suppose it does even itself out. Good win which is all that matters!

Crap game to watch, although if we win I'd take that every week.

Oxley was superb, even came for crosses. Still not confident at all with wilson and lockwood. Winchester played a few nice passes. Thought stead was disappointing although not much service. Harkins again head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch in terms of skill and quality.

Winchester cannot last ninety minutes. LJ said before it's stopped him being picked as he knows he's lost a sub before kick off. I'd imagine that's why he was taken off.

I actually thought he was pretty poor and, as has happened with him in the past and with Adeyemi, Wes' game suffers as he's having to do two men's jobs.

Adeyemi's not doing bad in the Championship though.

Ox was MOM for me today, great finish from GH, If I have ever seen a larger footballer than Akinfenweya I cant remember when, but fair play for the way he interacted with the kids before the kick off and at half time. It wasn't the best game today but I think our centre half pairing give us a solid look. Lockwood does the dirty stuff and Wilson clears up the mess, we definitely look more secure with this pairing.

I don't know, Gregan at the end of his Latics career was pretty large.