Latics 1-0 Gills: Post Match Reaction

Adeyemi's not doing bad in the Championship though.

Agreed, the point being though that (whether because of inexperience or poor coaching or any other reason) when he went missing Wes' (or Furman's) impact dropped as he was picking up the slack. For me Winchester too often causes the same problem.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we lacked that drive in midfield that we normally get from Korey.Winchester might be able to hit a twenty five yard stunner once in a while but doesn't have the build to be a central midfielder and doesn't look to get stuck in anywhere near enough.Winchester got brushed off the ball too easily too often today,though he wasn't the only one against bigger opposition.Philliskirk seemed to drop deeper to help out in the middle in the first half before we scored,then Gills pushed players further forward.I thought after less than hour Mellor would've come on for Winchester for a bit more bite and physical presence as we were starting to get overrun there.

Anyway,happy with the win,good job we did win after other teams around us winning.

I thought we lacked that drive in midfield that we normally get from Korey.Winchester might be able to hit a twenty five yard stunner once in a while but doesn't have the build to be a central midfielder and doesn't look to get stuck in anywhere near enough.Winchester got brushed off the ball too easily too often today,though he wasn't the only one against bigger opposition.Philliskirk seemed to drop deeper to help out in the middle in the first half before we scored,then Gills pushed players further forward.I thought after less than hour Mellor would've come on for Winchester for a bit more bite and physical presence as we were starting to get overrun there.

Anyway,happy with the win,good job we did win after other teams around us winning.

Before the game I said to my lad that I was worried about Winchester starting centre mid, but I thought he did a decent job there. We miss Korey no matter what people may say about him being too negative, I think he gives us drive in midfield and he has got a great engine. Dunfield could do a job in Koreys absence as he does look to have a bit more presence about him than Winchester.

That was a most dreadful game. For the first time ever during a live sporting event, I actually considered closing my eyes for 40 winks on about 25 minutes. The goal woke me up though!!

Thought both our centre backs were solid enough.

Full backs poor.

Midfield just went sideways a lot then decided to aimlessly lump it to the corner - passing was woeful.

Stead was pretty gash.

Harkins good.

Oxley outstanding - kept us in the game.

Pie was bobbins.

Weather surprisingly not too cold

Young lad scored from a corner at half time!

Fin.

Winchester cannot last ninety minutes. LJ said before it's stopped him being picked as he knows he's lost a sub before kick off. I'd imagine that's why he was taken off.

I actually thought he was pretty poor and, as has happened with him in the past and with Adeyemi, Wes' game suffers as he's having to do two men's jobs.

Completely disagree thought CW was superb today. Looked to play forward and always found that creative pass. Good energy and won a lot of the ball back. Best game he has had in a long while! Just before oxley making the two wonder saves I had him as MOM. But fair play to oxley my only gripe I have had with him is coming for crosses. So annoying knowing he can come for the crosses but very rarely does so was nice to see.

Completely disagree thought CW was superb today. Looked to play forward and always found that creative pass. Good energy and won a lot of the ball back. Best game he has had in a long while! Just before oxley making the two wonder saves I had him as MOM. But fair play to oxley my only gripe I have had with him is coming for crosses. So annoying knowing he can come for the crosses but very rarely does so was nice to see.

+1 spot on

good job the gills forwards had their toblerone boots on, agree ox outstanding I thought wilson and lockwood looked better but why does it feel like every opposition attack troubles us, grounds doesnt look as comfortable at lb as he does at cb and dayton is a waste of space he did nothing in either half of the pitch, stead is getting there, philly is a little frustrating and harkins was magical again, his quality is worth the 20 quid alone the goal was pure class the celebration even better he took the piss out of their right back all day long.

Dayton came on as a substitute for Brown on 75 minutes - did nothing wrong as far as I could see - a tad harsh methinks!

Dayton came on as a substitute for Brown on 75 minutes - did nothing wrong as far as I could see - a tad harsh methinks!

He did nothing at all. Whenever he had the ball, he looked to pass it backwards instead of taking his man on. I reallyreally rate Dayton - before Worrall he would've been in my starting XI every week. Worrall has shown him up and he doesn't appear to 'want it' enough to be as effective as we all know he is capable of, or make it back into the team without Worrall being injured. PTSD from a bad injury is understandable, but at some point he's got to put himself on the line.

Watching the highlights how was their man not offside for their first real chance from the long free kick?! Didn't look like anyone was anywhere near playing him onside...

There's certainly nobody coming into shot from the mainstand side of things.

So the lino must have decided he's timed a run. Not convinced!

There's certainly nobody coming into shot from the mainstand side of things.

So the lino must have decided he's timed a run. Not convinced!

It's almost impossible to tell conclusively but if you watch Lockwood he has clearly just tried to step up and catch Weston offside so he'll be at least a few yards forwards from where he would be when the ball was played. Add in the distance the ball has traveled and I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could have been onside. When Weston first comes in to shot he's no more than 10 yards past Lockwood's position after the step up and the ball has already traveled 30-40 yards.

Seems reasonable that Lockwood was just caught napping. He makes a bit of an appeal after the chance has gone but if it had been me and he really was that far offside I'd have been going ape:censored: at the lino...

Edited by LeylandLatic

It's almost impossible to tell conclusively but if you watch Lockwood he has clearly just tried to step up and catch Weston offside so he'll be at least a few yards forwards from where he would be when the ball was played. Add in the distance the ball has traveled and I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could have been onside. When Weston first comes in to shot he's no more than 10 yards past Lockwood's position after the step up and the ball has already traveled 30-40 yards.

Seems reasonable that Lockwood was just caught napping. He makes a bit of an appeal after the chance has gone but if it had been me and he really was that far offside I'd have been going ape:censored: at the lino...

Either way, brilliant save.