45minute head starts

A final none LJ related point. I wish corney would dig a little deeper in the summer. We always seem to add people like harkins in January as we panic about going down.

True in previous seasons, think this season that we had wages freed up from sacking Montano and Schmeltz going on loan with Harkins and Worrall replacing them.

But wouldn't be surprised if some money appeared from somewhere before the loan market closes in a couple of weeks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True in previous seasons, think this season that we had wages freed up from sacking Montano and Schmeltz going on loan with Harkins and Worrall replacing them.

But wouldn't be surprised if some money appeared from somewhere before the loan market closes in a couple of weeks.

We've paid up Schmeltz's contract. That doesn't free up a wage. It saves a few coppers in national insurance.

I'd guess the solicitors have charged us any money saved from not paying Montaño.

We've paid up Schmeltz's contract. That doesn't free up a wage. It saves a few coppers in national insurance.

I'd guess the solicitors have charged us any money saved from not paying Montaño.

Shrewsbury would of been paying his wages when he went out on loan which we used to sign a replacement, until Shrewsburys new manager decided he didn't want him.

Montano was on around £1200 a week (according to MEN). No idea how much we paid the solicitors but can't see it being anywhere near the amount Montano would of cost in wages until end of the season.

At half time I sat there thinking that I'd watched this game before about 10 times over. Grayson has assembled a team to get promoted - mostly 6 footers who are well organised and strong on the ball (except when there's a free kick to be won and they're straight to the floor). They had 1 or 2 quality players, one of which won them the game with 2 bits of skill for each goal. They might go up, but they'll come straight back down, they won't be able to handle the step up in quality.

As for us I thought 2 small strikers was a mistake against that team and also it doesn't work when we have wingers who like to cross early - we needed more of a presence which showed when JCH came on. Also thought korey seemed off the pace and the first half in general was flat and we seemed to accept that we weren't going to win. My other negative is that I can't remember a time in the whole match on either side of the pitch where the full back overlapped and got to the byline and put a cross in.

Then we came out in the second half and stepped it up. We had a belief that we could get something out of the game. I must be in the minority but I just don't see aimless hoofing. I thought we tried to pass where we could and had some good opportunities against a well marshalled defence. Lockwood should have scored from a corner, JCH came really close to a header and the keeper made 2 or 3 good saves. Then they go up the other end and sneak one against the run of play.

I'm not "happy clapping", i can usually judge how we've played by my mood when leaving. Against Colchester I was thinking why do I bother? Yesterday I was thinking about fine lines and how I like what Johnson is trying to achieve and hope he sticks at it and makes it work. Sooner rather than later though obviously.

Their right winger was superb because Mellor was :censored: at left back AGAIN. It's every time. HE'S NOT A LEFT BACK!!!!! :censored: me, LJ when will you realise this...

Nah, he was quality. The way he controlled the lumped ball forward just before the first goal even had the Chaddy End applauding..

At half time I sat there thinking that I'd watched this game before about 10 times over. Grayson has assembled a team to get promoted - mostly 6 footers who are well organised and strong on the ball (except when there's a free kick to be won and they're straight to the floor). They had 1 or 2 quality players, one of which won them the game with 2 bits of skill for each goal. They might go up, but they'll come straight back down, they won't be able to handle the step up in quality.

As for us I thought 2 small strikers was a mistake against that team and also it doesn't work when we have wingers who like to cross early - we needed more of a presence which showed when JCH came on. Also thought korey seemed off the pace and the first half in general was flat and we seemed to accept that we weren't going to win. My other negative is that I can't remember a time in the whole match on either side of the pitch where the full back overlapped and got to the byline and put a cross in.

Then we came out in the second half and stepped it up. We had a belief that we could get something out of the game. I must be in the minority but I just don't see aimless hoofing. I thought we tried to pass where we could and had some good opportunities against a well marshalled defence. Lockwood should have scored from a corner, JCH came really close to a header and the keeper made 2 or 3 good saves. Then they go up the other end and sneak one against the run of play.

I'm not "happy clapping", i can usually judge how we've played by my mood when leaving. Against Colchester I was thinking why do I bother? Yesterday I was thinking about fine lines and how I like what Johnson is trying to achieve and hope he sticks at it and makes it work. Sooner rather than later though obviously.

I like the cut of this guy's jib.

There are a lot of could have, should have and would haves this season in games that we have dropped points and on another day would have taken all three. It has been fine lines, the odd ball not just bouncing off someone or the planets not being aligned.

Doesn't change where we are but it is not all doom and gloom. LJ is still learning, the day a manager stops learning is when you need to worry. We are still a work in progress, that progress has taken a few knocks this season, I think the Montano thing is being swept under the carpet but I think in the fullness of time it might be shown to have been the turning point of the season.

I think the Montano thing is being swept under the carpet but I think in the fullness of time it might be shown to have been the turning point of the season.

I'm sure LJ's already got that excuse pocketed, should the worst happen at the end of the season.

Not only is the team vastly changed every 12 months , we manage to do it from August to February as well.

If you add the ludicrous and farcical situation where we regularly have some player of 21 or younger as our longest serving professional , it is no wonder we can't move forward.

It is difficult to imagine anything other than the current fight to stay in Division 3 every season .

The only way we will leave this division is if we get a season where we are unable to find 4 worse teams than ourselves.

The disappointment goes on but I'm still confident both that we will stay up that we have a good manager.

Everybody on here seems to forget the constraints he is working under. We have one of the lowest gates in our league and can only sign players for more than a year on the budget that gives us. He has tried loan players and the outstanding one this season was Mills and not surprisingly we can't get him back. He tried Plummer at left back.

Today LJ had a choice, clearly Wilson although on the bench has not recovered fully from whatever was wrong with him, he has to play Mellor at right back or centre back. His mistake might have been to get it the wrong way round as Grounds would not have given those two goals away but what then would Mellor have done as a centre back.

Preston were shown our weakness as were we all when they scored the first goal. Without the weakness at left back we would have made a game of and could possibly have won it.

The other problem facing LJ is that when JCH starts he does not seem to have the same impact as when he comes off the bench. Rooney didn't work for us and left by mutual consent. Stead didn't score. He can't, although he might have to know, start with Rhys, which leaves Mac, not big enough when on his own, and Philly who has lost that certain something he had.

The team picked itself and there will have to be more changes this summer but remember we don't have a pot of gold our pot is if anything empty.

Edited by Hands on

I've held back from posting because I wanted to calm down until I got home today and watch the "HIGHlights". I've read some measured posts on here and some who have their scapegoats and favourites who get or escape blame whether it's deserved or not. So I thought it's time I said my bit on the players:

Oxley - should have done better with all the goals I reckon. the first and third were hardly rockets and the second was definitely within his zone. Having said that the defence, as a unit, played very poorly today. Superb penalty save.

Brown - Apart from a panic-stricken 10 min. spell in the first half where he should have got more support from Lockwood, I thought he had a good game. Got forward much better when Worrall drifted over to the left or after he was substituted as Worrall keeps tight to the touchline and leaves no space for Brown to overlap.

Mellor - Good going forward but struggled against a very pacey winger. Still not convinced about the left back spot and still think a midfield berth is a better place.

Lockwood - Steady if unspectacular....as the senior defender, he should have organised the defence better especially with the second.

Grounds - I'm in the minority here as I think he is better at left back than centre back. Again steady but I'm not convinced he would have done much better than Mellor against that winger.

Worrall - When are we going to get a winger who is prepared to go past the defender on the outside. Didn't leave any space for Brown to get past. The only time he looked useful was when he joined Harkins on the left for some good interplay.

Smith - A poor game apart from one shot....why oh way doesn't he have more of a pop at goal.

Wesolowski - Same as Smith for me. Never looked like a threat around the Preston box.

Harkins - Awful first half but came out and played a blinder in the second.

Philliskirk - This lad looks shot and totally lacking in confidence. Needs to be benched for a few games.

MacDonald - Ineffective. Did anybody tell the rest of the team not to kick the ball in the air as he must have been a head shorter than their centre backs. Also he needs to feed off shots and low crosses.

Clarke-Harris - Stirred it up and gave their centre-backs something to think about. Looked at the highlights and didn't see much movement of arm to ball....poor decision in my eyes.

Turner - Excellent debut....would like to have seen him with a forward partner.

Kissock - First sight and showed more enthusiasm to get the ball than 3 of our midfield players and more importantly carry it to the opposition. Had a decent shot. A positive cameo for me.

Referee - Poor (again)....bottled out of the big decisions for us in danger areas and gave us plenty around our penalty box or the middle of the pitch. Penalty decision was poor and compounded it by the sending off.

Johnson - Needs to look at his team selection. Too defensive and too many ineffective players.

I've held back from posting because I wanted to calm down until I got home today and watch the "HIGHlights". I've read some measured posts on here and some who have their scapegoats and favourites who get or escape blame whether it's deserved or not. So I thought it's time I said my bit on the players:Oxley - should have done better with all the goals I reckon. the first and third were hardly rockets and the second was definitely within his zone. Having said that the defence, as a unit, played very poorly today. Superb penalty save.Brown - Apart from a panic-stricken 10 min. spell in the first half where he should have got more support from Lockwood, I thought he had a good game. Got forward much better when Worrall drifted over to the left or after he was substituted as Worrall keeps tight to the touchline and leaves no space for Brown to overlap.Mellor - Good going forward but struggled against a very pacey winger. Still not convinced about the left back spot and still think a midfield berth is a better place.Lockwood - Steady if unspectacular....as the senior defender, he should have organised the defence better especially with the second.Grounds - I'm in the minority here as I think he is better at left back than centre back. Again steady but I'm not convinced he would have done much better than Mellor against that winger.Worrall - When are we going to get a winger who is prepared to go past the defender on the outside. Didn't leave any space for Brown to get past. The only time he looked useful was when he joined Harkins on the left for some good interplay.Smith - A poor game apart from one shot....why oh way doesn't he have more of a pop at goal.Wesolowski - Same as Smith for me. Never looked like a threat around the Preston box.Harkins - Awful first half but came out and played a blinder in the second.Philliskirk - This lad looks shot and totally lacking in confidence. Needs to be benched for a few games.MacDonald - Ineffective. Did anybody tell the rest of the team not to kick the ball in the air as he must have been a head shorter than their centre backs. Also he needs to feed off shots and low crosses.Clarke-Harris - Stirred it up and gave their centre-backs something to think about. Looked at the highlights and didn't see much movement of arm to ball....poor decision in my eyes.Turner - Excellent debut....would like to have seen him with a forward partner.Kissock - First sight and showed more enthusiasm to get the ball than 3 of our midfield players and more importantly carry it to the opposition. Had a decent shot. A positive cameo for me.Referee - Poor (again)....bottled out of the big decisions for us in danger areas and gave us plenty around our penalty box or the middle of the pitch. Penalty decision was poor and compounded it by the sending off.Johnson - Needs to look at his team selection. Too defensive and too many ineffective players.

Agree with most of that, but I'm struggling to blame Oxley for anything.

There was a deflection on the first goal and it went through a few bodies, can't blame Oxley for that. 2nd goal there is nothing he could do. Their winger got round the back far too easily leaving him exposed. The fault lies with Mellor and the 3 other players who just let Garner walk to within a yard of the goal line for a simple tap in.

I also think it's very harsh to blame him for the third.

The only thing that worried me with him yesterday was him being stuck on his goal line again. He was starting to get better at it and was claiming a few crosses until he nearly got caught out at Tranmere last week, then for the last half hour he didnt move from his line and didn't claim anything yesterday. That is where the work needs to be done!

Excellent penalty save and some very good shot stopping in general.

I'll be at Crewe so going off my dads version today said it was like when we had possesion it was in slow motion an they should have beaten us by more?

to those who went was it that bad?

would we still go if we go down...of course we would an it wouldn't be the disaster people make out.an in a strange way it would bring a sense of reality to us lot

I thought Sly's post was bang on. But as you need it explaining to you and obviously struggle to understand a simple concept I'll make it easy to understand.

Wes 4 goals in 36 games

Korey 1 goal in 42 games.

They both play in CM, and if anything given their respective roles you'd expect Korey to have scored 4x the number of goals Wes has, as opposed to the other way round.

I could keep going but I thought I'd put it in small chunks and check you understand it first.

Note this is not a slight on Korey, although I thought he was poor today, he is a good player and has given Wes some competition for POTS, but Wes is winning that at a canter for me, as the other two contenders have either left or only arrived in Jan.

Patronising isn't it that! A simple post says 'behave' and you call it spot on! Then you go on to 'explain it to me in simple terms' so that I understand it and then totally confuse the roles that they play. Then you move on to bring into the discussion 2 other players who have nothing to do at all with the argument.

I gather that you were never invited to join the debating society in your school days because mate you haven't got a clue!

Bring some facts and I will listen, respond and justify. If you do not get it, then so be it!

Patronising isn't it that! A simple post says 'behave' and you call it spot on! Then you go on to 'explain it to me in simple terms' so that I understand it and then totally confuse the roles that they play. Then you move on to bring into the discussion 2 other players who have nothing to do at all with the argument.

I gather that you were never invited to join the debating society in your school days because mate you haven't got a clue!

Bring some facts and I will listen, respond and justify. If you do not get it, then so be it!

You need to see your optician there are facts in my reply- you are just ignoring them as they don't fit your view. Come back with some facts of your own as a counter argument first. That is usually how debates go, but perhaps you didn't have a debating club at your school, college etc. too.

You are clueless.

'totally confuse the roles that they play' - Wesolowski is the more defensive of the two, which he pointed out. Plus, you mentioned in your original post that he can't tackle, yet this is his strongest attribute and one that he has demonstrated time and time again to stop teams running through the middle of us this season, as well as saying that he can't head; but for someone his size, he seems to come out on top in a rather large percentage of the headed battles that he contests.

Wesolowski has been comfortably one of our best players this season.

You need to see your optician there are facts in my reply- you are just ignoring them as they don't fit your view. Come back with some facts of your own as a counter argument first. That is usually how debates go, but perhaps you didn't have a debating club at your school, college etc. too.

Any facts that you may have quoted are totally irrelevant to the discussion.

How can I give a counter argument when you haven't come up with any points.

Let me take this simply.

Goals scored! Why should Korey have scored more than Wes?

2 Players signed in January! What has that got to do with our midfield problems?

School; Grammar School, College; Manchester, Further Qualifications body; Professional. Beats a bloody HNC doesn't it!

You are clueless.

'totally confuse the roles that they play' - Wesolowski is the more defensive of the two, which he pointed out. Plus, you mentioned in your original post that he can't tackle, yet this is his strongest attribute and one that he has demonstrated time and time again to stop teams running through the middle of us this season, as well as saying that he can't head; but for someone his size, he seems to come out on top in a rather large percentage of the headed battles that he contests.

Wesolowski has been comfortably one of our best players this season.

So for a midget, he gets quite high! That doesn't make him a good header of the ball!

How on earth can you make a case for a football player then mention his shortfalls before you even start to make a case. Rather like saying about a bloke with no right leg, he is very good with his left!

Then you mention what you see as his best attribute being a tackler! That would be good for a defender but he is a midfielder, Jesus!

By the way Wes is only deemed to be the defensive midfielder because he cannot pass the bloody ball! He is doing a 'Furman' on you!