Crawley next week..

I know a big deal was made about yesterday being a big game but Saturday is massive. Fail to win this one and I think we're down with two of the top three coming next. How do you think should we line up on Saturday? Crawley are certainly no pushovers with good away wins coming at The Posh, Orient, Walsall and a point at Rotherham. Looking at their results they do seem to struggle particularly away at the sides around them, with losses at Stevenage, Bristol City, Crewe and Gillingham. Do we go 3-5-2 and try to kill them off early? We desperately need all three points.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3-2-4-1

Wilson, Lockwood/Gaddafi,Grounds

Smith, Wes (byrom for smith if still injured)

Kissock, Harkins, philliskirk, Dayton

McDonald

Probably a bit too progressive for our lot but our full backs don't seem to attack much, two centre miss are defensive anyway so that's us covered defensively. Plenty of options forward. Harkins and Philly looking to work centrally with MacDonald and Dayton and kissock offering width

Doesn't work on football manager though so what do I know

The boss talks about "being compact"...

We have no wingers, fit or in-form.

We have to play our best player on the wing just so he can find more space, but the better teams man-mark him and expose our left-back.

We have no orthodox wingers fit or in-form.

Every week I suggest this, but it Seems 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1 is here to stay.

4-3-1-2, with an interchangeable fluid front three.

Rac/Ox

Brown, Lock, Wilson/Adel, Grounds

Smith, Byrom, Wes

Harkins

Philliskirk JCH

Edited by IceStationLatic

hope we dont set up like we did yesterday with one up front ( an isolated one at that ) thought turner and charlie where unlucky not to get involved yesterday, tbh no point second guessing anymore couple of things are certain it will be a different team and I will be telling you I told you so after the match, if im honest cant see us winning any of the next 3 games people presuming we are gonna beat crawley, they were 1-0 up at rotherham until the last couple of minutes and the better team for much of the match and thats a team that spanked us a few days earlier, we had our chances to win games recently yesterday, tranmere bristol shrewsbury and colchester all should of been beaten but for one reason or another we didnt turn up or wasnt good enough thats the reason we will go down.

The boss talks about "being compact"...

We have no wingers, fit or in-form.

We have to play our best player on the wing just so he can find more space, but the better teams man-mark him and expose our left-back.

We have no orthodox wingers fit or in-form.

Every week I suggest this, but it Seems 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1 is here to stay.

4-3-1-2, with an interchangeable fluid front three.

Rac/Ox

Smith, Byrom, Wes

Harkins

Philliskirk JCH

Philliskirk was poor yesterday, I reckon MacDonald will be back, I certainly hope its not 3 holding midfielders at home.

Rac/Ox

Smith, Byrom, Wes

Harkins

Philliskirk JCH

That's exactly the XI I'd go with and I totally agree about our wingers, but I'd set up like this for the first half at least:

Oxley/Rachubka

Brown

Wilson

Lockwood

Grounds

Smith

Philliskirk

Wes

Byrom

Harkins

JCH

I know it might wind people up going with a defensive formation at home, but if yesterday is anything to go by Wes, Philliskirk and Harkins are more than willing to get forward. Smith has played on the right before and is a better all-round player than Worrall so I'd rather have him the XI than not at all. Being on the right might even give him a bit more freedom. JCH on his own would be up top in order to be a nuisance for the defence and chase lost causes (which he did well yesterday).

2nd half would be the time to go 4-4-2 with Philly supporting JCH, or making attacking changes if needed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Crawley tire late on due to their schedule so if we are in the ascendancy late on we could expose them.

I also think that 4-5-1 is the best chance of getting something from Orient and Brentford. Giving the team more time to gel as a unit and understand their roles in the formation could really pay dividends in those two games.

Pragmatism is the sexiest form of football, right??

3-2-4-1

Wilson, Lockwood/Gaddafi,Grounds

Smith, Wes (byrom for smith if still injured)

Kissock, Harkins, philliskirk, Dayton

McDonald

Probably a bit too progressive for our lot but our full backs don't seem to attack much, two centre miss are defensive anyway so that's us covered defensively. Plenty of options forward. Harkins and Philly looking to work centrally with MacDonald and Dayton and kissock offering width

Doesn't work on football manager though so what do I know

Upboated simply for laughing out loud when reading that. :laught30:

Philliskirk was poor yesterday, I reckon MacDonald will be back, I certainly hope its not 3 holding midfielders at home.

I would be tempted to start with Danny P in that system just for the fluidity - he's played up top, in the hole and wide right so reckon he'd be better at finding space and a safer option off the ball.

It wouldn't be three holding, although if it went tits up that could happen. Byrom would be slightly behind the other two, who would need to push forward with the ball and pick a pass every time - Croft and Winchester for this very well when we used this system against Liverpool.

I think LJ may have flirted with this during the Rotherham game - I remember Chambers saying we went 4-1-3-2 for a bit?

But it was basically a 4-4-2 with one midfielder sitting? And we had two midgets up top so it was easier to target Harkins.

I think JCH's presence, even if he's got scope for a lot of improvement in the air, at least creates space for others. I'd like to see him drift too and pick up the ball and run at defenders towards goal, like he did eRlier in the season. When did he last do that? In a 4-4-2 he's just reduced to a back to goal type. It's so static and predictable.

Edited by IceStationLatic

Based on the hundred or so people that sat in there versus Rotherham, it'll save money too.

I don't understand how it will save money, really.

Stewarding still required in the RRE for the Crawley fans.

More people will be re-allocated to other food stalls around the ground to cope with the 'increacing demand' in that stand...

Police costs will be the same i'd guess, i'm sure Crawleys fans won't be causing mayhem

Strange decision, planted the seed for the shutting of the RRE end for next season I reckon...

We shall see.

I don't understand how it will save money, really.

Stewarding still required in the RRE for the Crawley fans.

More people will be re-allocated to other food stalls around the ground to cope with the 'increacing demand' in that stand...

Police costs will be the same i'd guess, i'm sure Crawleys fans won't be causing mayhem

Strange decision, planted the seed for the shutting of the RRE end for next season I reckon...

We shall see.

Saves money as need less stewards and also probably less Police as you aren't mixing fans in the same stand so no need for stewards in the divide.

Johnson and the players have said the crowd seem more vocal when we are all together.

Lets all get behind the lads as it seems they definately need it!!!