North Stand Construction Thread

No it's a listed building so we are unable to knock it down. Also the reason why the changing rooms are being kept in there

Clegg Street warehouse was a listed building, but its gone now.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not an architect I'm an IT manager, when I do a job I spec it to fit its purpose. If that purpose is to fill a need where the customer creates 2TB of data everyday and wants this with a retrieval cycle of two months and backed up I don't give him an iPad and tell him "Its better than you had before, before you had nowt." That doesn't meet the requirements. I look at what his requirements are and then see how we can best meet them today, tomorrow and during the lifetime of the solution at a reasonable cost and with as little on going support as possible.

OAFC had a blank canvas and limited funds, the spec was - Build something that people can spend money in to watch the footballing members of staff do their thing with some other bits attached that also raise money. Build the thing in one of the most exposed spots known to man that also gets wet a lot so put a roof on it and keep the inhabitants dry.

I am fully aware that watching football is an outdoors thing but in 2014 we as a species have mastered the roof! I've got one at home, my car has one and where I work has one. Oldham even has one on its market that stops the people inside from getting wet. Vast shopping centres are built with them now. Apart from Bury's new Rock development which still baffles me as that really is madness.

When I've chosen my seat in every stand I've sat in my main concern is the view then it is the elements. Football is primarily a winter event especially in Oldham and the thought of sitting in the wet really doesn't appeal so I've chosen a seat that has good protection from the elements, row P of the RRE for example. It has rained on my seat there once this season and that was exceptionally bad weather, more than horizontal rain, I'm sure it was even going back upwards at one point. I didn't get wet when I sat in the lookers (about halfway up) and I didn't get wet in the Chaddy (towards the back of the front block, behind the goal). The only time I've got wet at Latics is in the main stand paddock for the Liverpool game and that was real cats and dogs weather.

I like the new stand, I'm delighted it is being built, I look forward to the inward investment it will bring to the club that in turn should lead to a better calibre of player on the pitch and I fully intend getting my next 40 season tickets in there. Or more if I last that long but the roof bothers me, the fact that I may spend a large part of that time getting rained on whilst doing something I enjoy and paying for it doesn't seem a good deal to me. If I wanted to get wet I'd go swimming, or go to some niche service provider.

What part of this is unreasonable? Granted there are worse things going on in the world today but building a new stand in 20141 that doesn't keep its occupants dry is a case for https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob

As my 7 yo son would say

OMG

Fact?

I suspect it isn't.

No it's a listed building so we are unable to knock it down. Also the reason why the changing rooms are being kept in there

English Heritage disagree. No mention of it on their database.

How old actually is that stand? Genuinely can't see any reason why they would want to list it and never seemed to be an issue when Oldham Arena or knocking down the ground for the land with the Failsworth move...

Definately not listed. No good reason why it would be. I have heard people mention this before tho to support the argument for not knocking it down, but to refurbish it instead.

Tbh i wouldnt mind a refurb of the old timer. Keep the character the ground has but i would expect that to bring it completely up to date at a relatively decent standard would cost far more than to knock it down and start again, so im guessing we will see a completely new stand there eventually. Id love to see somethin like notts county have where the top of the stand overhangs the pavement so you utilise the space more and get a higher capacity, but im guessing it will be more like a chesterfield or nkrthampton effort unfortunately. Chesterfields is crap for a new ground.

The thing is how can you actually go about refurbing it? I just get see how you could do about doing anything at all with it other than a lick of paint. Are the offices in there currently being moved to the new stand? That could free up a little space I guess.

Also, I'd take Chesterfields (or the similar Shrewsbury) new ground over most of the soulless bowls out there.

To look at chesterfields aint bad but its been done on the cheap. Corners cut everywhere. Blackpools has a bit of class,although not quite finished yet, as does rotherham. Something a bit unique.

And yes bdfore anyones says it i know chesterfield have cut their cloth according to their means. But i wouldnt want it. give me a three sided crumbling bp anyday.

To look at chesterfields aint bad but its been done on the cheap. Corners cut everywhere. Blackpools has a bit of class,although not quite finished yet, as does rotherham. Something a bit unique.

And yes bdfore anyones says it i know chesterfield have cut their cloth according to their means. But i wouldnt want it. give me a three sided crumbling bp anyday.

Is Chesterfield that bad? Looks alright on pictures/tele...

Better than Saltergate!

Blackpool is another one of those soulless bowls, or at least would be if they ever completed it, it was horrid when I went for the playoffs a few years back and they weren't even halfway through. It was in a worse state then ours has been. Ironically that temporary stand gives it a bit of character at least.

Most of the bowls are pretty bland and similar, only really Hull and Rotherham that have a bit of character. I never saw what was so bad with Chesterfield when I went, but I'd take that over our 3 stands (maybe not with the new stand) quite easily. Mind you, I suppose people would just be upset they aren't protected from the elements and get a little damp :wink:

Having had a season ticket in the third row of the main stand paddock in the past, I think too much is made of this lack of protection.

Where I sit in the MSP there are 9 rows of seats. If it rains the first 3 rows get wet, the middle 3 rows depends on the type of rain and prevailing winds, and you normally stay dry in the back 3 rows.

Now the sun can be dealt with via a hat and/or sunglasses, I don't mind the sun. Will be interesting to see what the glare is like from the expanse of glass on the boxes.

I've also wondered about possible glare. There's a house opposite where I live, which is in the same position as the North Stand. For a time in the afternoon, when the sun shines, I get dazzled from their front windows! But, as we don't get the sun very often . . .

How old actually is that stand? Genuinely can't see any reason why they would want to list it and never seemed to be an issue when Oldham Arena or knocking down the ground for the land with the Failsworth move...

According to English Heritage website the current Main Stand at Boundary Park was built in 1913.

Is Chesterfield that bad? Looks alright on pictures/tele...

Better than Saltergate!

I've been to the new one twice and Saltergate more times than I can remember! Saltergate for me was by far the better place to visit. It was so :censored: and run down it was good!

This new place is just too much like Shrews, Colchester etc. No character about it.

I've been to the new one twice and Saltergate more times than I can remember! Saltergate for me was by far the better place to visit. It was so :censored: and run down it was good!

This new place is just too much like Shrews, Colchester etc. No character about it.

Went to Saltergate once in 2003, went in the main stand it was wooden benches. Lookers paddock was luxury compared to that!

When people say a ground has character it's a polite way of saying it's a dump.

For me I like the idea of visiting grounds with character once a season griffin park being a good example.

However if I'm going every other Saturday I want a good views in comparative comfort where I can get a pre match and half time pint and a pie which is just about edable I won't be too concerned if it's of generic design.

I reckon if you get a st in the back 3-4 rows of the new stand you will probably not get wet all season.

How about a bonus offer to boost the new north stand sales..a free cagoule for those buying season tickets in the first 3 rows?. :unsure:

Or maybe for a little extra the club could sell a wet weather North Stand season ticket.

On dry days sit in your North Stand seat on wet days you can sit in any stand.

Or maybe for a little extra the club could sell a wet weather North Stand season ticket.

you can go to the ticket office before any game and change stand. i do often unless its to a dearer part where a small FEE is paid

How about a fair weather season ticket? If we're not pushing for the playoffs by October you get the remaining portion of your ST refunded but still have priority for Anfield.

How about a fair weather season ticket? If we're not pushing for the playoffs by October you get the remaining portion of your ST refunded but still have priority for Anfield.

Neck and neck with FC United;

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fc-united-ground-moston-begins-6864109

Archived